ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 02:29 AM
Got into a friendly argument with my service rep for my supplier, I called a device that has two switches in a single gang device a "Duplex Switch" and got laughed at...

He insisted that it was called a "stacked switch"

We're probably both right, but I love to argue as much as I love to be "correct"...

Which is it?

Go to http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?dept%Fid=1051&sku=503924 for ammo on my side of the argument...

And here: http://www.servicor.com/pdf/electrical.pdf where "stacked" would mean two duplex switches mounted one above the other...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-21-2001).]
Posted By: bhester Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 02:46 AM
I have always have called it a "stack" switch but I have heard others at the supply house refer it to a "duplex" switch so to help with your problem this means nothing other than you were right,you both are right...
Posted By: electure Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 02:07 PM
Generically, stack switch.
Properly, combination device.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 02:24 PM
Duplex switch.(where I come from)
A device with 2 receptacle outlets is a duplex receptacle.
A device with 2 switches is a duplex switch.
A device with any combination of devices is a combination sw./rec. or combo. s.p. sw./ 3way sw. or combo. GFCI/sw., etc.
What about kits that allow field mounting different combinations of individual devices on a single strap? Stacked?
Posted By: sparky Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 02:39 PM
tomatoe...tomatta
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/22/01 03:20 PM
'mater, that's how we say it here...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/23/01 12:13 AM
The ones that you add the devices (up to 3) to the mounting strap are called despard devices.
Posted By: sparky Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/23/01 12:41 AM
despard, i had forgotten about those.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/23/01 03:03 AM
Despard? Oh! (why don't you come to your senses?)

Sorry! Bad pun...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Duplex or Stacked? - 07/23/01 03:10 AM
My argument was that "Duplex" covers fit both the receptacles and the switches, "Decora" covers (or decorator) fit Decora switches and recepacles (and GFCI). Toggle Covers only fit toggle switches (the snap type... not "real" toggle switches that fit into a 3/8" hole, like from radio shack...)

I'm just glad to find out that I'm not the only one in the world calling them duplex switches!
© ECN Electrical Forums