ECN Forum
Posted By: rowdyrudy AHJ Fired - 08/26/03 02:11 PM
Read where AHJ in Belleville, IL was fired by council. Seems he was requiring homes to be upgraded to latest NEC when sold or new renter. Interim AHJ is 80 years old. It seems that things are getting nuttier every day. It must be the weather. What's next?
Rowdy
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: AHJ Fired - 08/26/03 02:23 PM
Is the AHJ supposed to require this?

Not that I see anything wrong with it...considering the shape of the wiring in some older apartment buildings (makes you cringe).

But what happens if the house wiring is still in good shape?
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: AHJ Fired - 08/26/03 02:40 PM
Belleville is a nutty area. They had inspectors and cops entering homes without warrants because someone reported unauthorized persons were living in the house/apartment. The city seems to have a requirement that anyone who lives in a house/apt in the city must register with the city. U.S. DOJ is investigating practice.
Rowdy
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: AHJ Fired - 08/26/03 04:55 PM
I think this is funny. I'm glad to see he got fired. It is hard enough to keep a good reputation for inspectors without Bozo's like this making up their own rules.
Posted By: pwood Re: AHJ Fired - 08/26/03 05:41 PM
when all the facts come out it will be revealed that the ahj owned an electrical supply house.
Posted By: sparky Re: AHJ Fired - 08/27/03 12:07 AM
and a pair of jackboots...
Posted By: Winchester EE Re: AHJ Fired - 08/27/03 02:16 AM
rowdyrudy:

I live about 40 miles from Belleville. Small world!
Posted By: targetshootr Re: AHJ Fired - 08/27/03 08:03 PM
ok i'll bite. what does AHJ mean.
Posted By: rlrct Re: AHJ Fired - 08/27/03 08:53 PM
Authority Having Jurisdiction.
Posted By: DougW Re: AHJ Fired - 08/28/03 04:15 PM
Holy cow!

I've got friends in Belleville. Just consulted with 'em about improving service.

After checking the city website (Vague is a good description), I thought they might not even have an inspector (no mention online)

Yeesh. Here in North Chicago, they were trying the same thing - 80 Year old houses w/60A services mandated to upgrade to 100A, eliminate exposed BX in basements, and hardwire all smoke detectors before occupancy permit/sale allowed. Finally stopped after someone threatened a lawsuit, citing Code when built, and less than 49% renovated.

They still BS people about the BX and hardwired detectors though. But hey, who wants to fight city hall?
Posted By: russ m Re: AHJ Fired - 08/30/03 02:10 PM
http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/6617960.htm
Posted By: John Steinke Re: AHJ Fired - 09/02/03 11:36 PM
The inspector was aware of neither the US Constitution, nor inspection law. He should have been fired.

"No Ex Poste Facto Laws." You're not allowed to make something illegal that was legal at the time it happened. In our case, that means that a structure can only be expected to meet code at the time of construction. Additions, remodels, etc. have to meet the code at the time that they're done, but this requirement can, in general, apply only to the new work.

The limits of the constitution do not, however, apply to the free marketplace. What the inspector was trying to do is something that is done by insurance companies: the law may not require you to upgrade, but the law doesn't require us to continue to insure you. If that means that your lack of insurance results in the bank pulling your mortgage, too bad.
© ECN Electrical Forums