ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 10:55 AM
Anyone working the weekend?
Barbecueing? Vacationing?

BTW Paul,

What is the story behind the Spring & Summer "Bank Holiday" ?
Posted By: Big A Re: Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 11:42 AM
Hello Redsy,

A few months ago me and the family went to Austin Texas. We had BBQ beef brisket and it was wonderful. I have made one since and it was great too. I will be putting one on tonight around 10pm and it should be done tomorrow around 5pm. It is a little bit of a pain but it ranks right up there with our beloved pit cooked pig BBQ. If anybody around here heard me say that, Id be ran out of the state! Happy 4th to all.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 05:04 PM
Mmmmm, sounds like a great idea! I think I'll put one in the oven tonight too.

We're having a 4th of July Block Party with some of the families on our block and then when the fireworks start we'll be near enough to the field (a mere couple of blocks away) to see the show. We may also want to stay close to home in case a fire starts and we need to evacuate... lol! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 06:24 PM
I remember last July 4th. There was a professional fireworks display close enough for us to see from the upstairs front window.

In fact, not only could we see and hear them, we felt them as well. The windows rattled!
Posted By: electure Re: Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 09:26 PM
We stay at home, due to all the lunatics that are out on the road...however, we can sit on the roof and watch giant displays from Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and about a 1/2 dozen other places all at once.
The downside to this is that the majority of fireworks are sent up by residents with (here) illegal rockets, etc...not to mention the occasional 9mm or 30/06 round shot into the air by fools...S
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Holiday plans? - 07/03/03 10:49 PM
Redsy,

Not sure what I'm doing yet, But wish everyone a Happy and Safe Holiday!!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: circuit man Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 12:18 AM
well talk about the 4th.were bbq some chickens & all the fixins.wish everyone a safe & happy fourth of july!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 01:14 AM
BTW Paul,

What is the story behind the Spring & Summer "Bank Holiday" ?
"Bank holiday" is the British name for a public holiday (i.e. a day when the banks are shut). Some are the generally accepted Christian holidays, but others were pretty much chosen at random and don't celebrate anything in particular.

Here's a brief historical note: http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/bankhis.htm

To all of you in the States, have a happy and safe holiday.

[Linked Image]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 01:31 AM
Working the 4th,family get together& barbecue Sat.

Have a good Holiday everybody. [Linked Image]

Russell

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 07-03-2003).]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 02:30 AM
8:00 a.m. tee time. Gotta beat the heat and I'll be home before I'm missed. [Linked Image]

GJ
Posted By: sparky Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 02:38 AM
i'l be working

Happy 4th

click me
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 03:12 AM
Have a GOOD Holiday ALL!!. [Linked Image]
Just as a coincident, I am having my Annual Leave at the moment, we do not celebrate 4th of July over here, but at least I can stay home and keep warm at this time of year
(Middle of Winter), it's snowing hard outside and there are quite a few Mid-Winter Christmas Parties happening over here at the moment, as we have our actual Christmas in the middle of Summer.
Big A,
Mmm, Beef Brisket!(Read this in a Homer Simpson voice).
Take care, people. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 10:15 AM
Yep, it's looking a little chilly there at the moment!

It's rather damp and miserable here today, but looking better for the weekend .
Posted By: iwire Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 11:41 AM
Service Change on my own house while the wife and kids are at a cookout.

Hopefully they will bring some food back with them.

Trumpy, I am with you.

Mmmmm Brisket. [Linked Image from thesimpsons.com]

I make beef brisket at home sometimes but to make a good one takes more time than I usually have.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-04-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 11:46 AM
Mow the lawn, wash the truck, grill some stuff! Good old fashioned American fun. Heading to North Carolina Sunday for a week. Any good beaches I should know about? Staying in the New Bern area.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 01:06 PM
For a couple of years we went down to Nags Head. First time I went to a Pig Roast. It was good! If you decide to go to the Big Sand Dune down there, do it at Night! [Linked Image]

Take care,
Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 02:24 PM
tee time

Kind of ironic for July 4th. [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 04:02 PM
tee time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of ironic for July 4th.

I had to think about that one for a minute. Good one ThinkGood. [Linked Image]

GJ
Posted By: electure Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 04:32 PM
Thinkgood does. [Linked Image]
This is the first chance I've had in a long time to have a holiday, and I'm loving every second of it. A Ribeye and Egg breakfast!
You guys please stay safe, this is a dangerous weekend...S
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Holiday plans? - 07/04/03 10:15 PM
To all the Firefighters here, I wish you a quiet day and night. I remember how I used to hate the 4th, grass fires, roof fires, etc.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Holiday plans? - 07/05/03 02:39 AM
spkjpr,
I'll second that one!.
We fear Guy Fawkes(Nov.5th) night over here, more than anything, even with Sky-rockets being banned over here, you still get the odd idiot that has a go at setting off fireworks in the dumbest of places, like one guy last year, set off a Roman Candle, in his Kitchen! [Linked Image], there's always one......

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-04-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums