ECN Forum
Posted By: ThinkGood Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 01:08 AM
http://www.powerlineman.com/pictures/2003/june/deschaine/deschaine.htm
Posted By: JCooper Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 01:17 AM
I guess its warm in there.... Where are those pics from?
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 01:25 AM
I don't suppose that those snakes are "listed"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 01:47 AM
Maybe someone told him to use non-metallic snakes around live equipment?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: txsparky Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 02:08 AM
More PPE required.
Snake tongs,kevlar lined snake gloves,snake bag,etc.....or Steve Irwin as as a sidekick [Linked Image]:

"Crikey Mate, she's a real beauty" Or as they would say in Oklahoma (that is an Oklahoma Gas & Electric truck isn't it?).....That thar is one damn big snake,bring me my shotgun

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 02:51 AM
Man, and I thought that hornets were bad!

GJ
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 02:54 AM
What kind of snakes are these?
Posted By: LoneStar Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 05:05 AM
yeah really, are they poisonous snakes??> CRIKEY!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 07:00 AM
non-metallic snakes

ROTFL!

Electricity isn't the only thing that'll bite...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 08:08 AM
"Power company officials today said that there was no truth to the rumor that snakes were being employed as electrical inspectors. They did, however, state that they might be looking into the possibility in the future, as it is clear that the snakes can get into tighter places for more critical inspection than is currently possible with human inspectors." [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-27-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 11:25 AM
[Linked Image from powerlineman.com]

this begs a caption.....
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 06:01 PM
this begs a caption.....

OG+E tries a new method for cracking down on meter tampering!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/27/03 06:55 PM
Take a BITE out of Meter Tampering!!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/28/03 12:53 AM
How about this as a caption?

If you don't respect electricity carefully, it might come back to bite you!

OR "Careful Electricty BITES!"

HE
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/29/03 02:45 AM
Two words for the caption, the second of which I'll let you fill in:

OH, ____!!!!!!
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/29/03 02:51 AM
Scene like this, radio call to dipatch, "we're going to be here awhile. Seems that someone has blasted the meterbase with a 12 Ga shotgun." No snake, replace the base and no problem. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/29/03 11:40 PM
Yet another good argument for KO seals...S
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/30/03 10:03 AM
So......Does anyone know what kind of snakes these are?
Posted By: mamills Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/30/03 01:47 PM
Zapped: Don't really know for sure - I wouldn't want to get close enough to one of those things to find out. From the coloring of his skin, he looks kinda like some of the cottonmouths we run into down here in SE Texas. Meter cans and switch boxes seem to be a favorite hangout for them. For me, it's a tossup as to which bite is worse - the meter can or the snake!

I guess the good thing about the meter can is that it's no surprise to you...but the snake on the other hand... [Linked Image] Those things scare the hiss out of me!

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Dallas Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/30/03 03:22 PM
From what I could see of the head, it's not from the pit viper family, so it wouldn't be venomous. Possibly a king snake. Here in Indiana, the smaller ones like to hunt in farm services for nesting mice.

Personally, those aggressive brown wasps bother me more. Still a surprise to open up a deadfront and find a snake, though.
Posted By: Dallas Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/30/03 03:23 PM
From what I could see of the head, it's not from the pit viper family, so it wouldn't be venomous. Possibly a king snake. Here in Indiana, the smaller ones like to hunt in farm services for nesting mice.

Personally, those aggressive brown wasps bother me more. Still a surprise to open up a deadfront and find a snake, though.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 06/30/03 10:21 PM
I remember seeing a few snakes around in the wild during my time in the Southern States, but they're not generally a problem here in England -- Mostly harmless grass snakes.

The only venemous snake indigenous to Britain is the adder. I've come face-to-fang with one just once, about 5 years ago (not counting snakes in captivity).
Posted By: Admin Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/07/03 02:36 AM
Posted for Roger:
(from Florida Power & Light)
These pictures were taken at the construction of drainage ditches at the Orlando Airport. Just another day at work in the beautiful Florida Sun!

A Florida Power & Light crew putting in lines for an addition to the Orlando International Airport found the following in a culvert they were using...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The gator is/was 18' 2" long.
The rattlesnake roundup totaled 87!
Thanks Roger!
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/07/03 07:27 AM
That's got to be the best use for duct tape I've ever seen!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/08/03 08:49 PM
Roger,

Wow!
Do you know if this guy got a free ticket to Gatorland?

I heard you were a Florida resident at one time?
How common is it to come across something like this in 'civilized' areas?

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/08/03 09:33 PM
On sparky's pic...{Not too far-fetched}
[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]
There are {insert your own adjective} people that would want to make that meter can a protected snake sanctuary. Oh, and by their reasoning, the OG&E bucket truck should not be moved for at least a year, and not before a complete study was conducted to be sure it wasn’t snake habitat, too.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-08-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/09/03 02:07 AM
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/09/03 10:30 AM
Any idea where that snake sign is from? It doesn't look like an American sign.
Posted By: Roger Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/09/03 04:31 PM
Hello Bill. Although it isn't an everyday occurance, it is not uncommon to find a gator in residential backyards, parks, or even a multi lane intersection.

The gator in the FPL photo is a prime specimen. Being a bass fisherman, I have come upon twelve to fourteen footers but never an eighteen.

I can remember an old farm house used as a feed storage shed that had a substantial rattlesnake concentration underneath the floor. If you stomped, banged, and made alot of noise when you walked across the floor, they would rattle so loud it seemed like you could feel the floor vibrate. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/10/03 12:28 AM
pauluk:
I believe it's Canadian.
Posted By: Roger Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 07/10/03 12:52 AM
Thinkgood, I like it where ever it is.

Man has decided what should be allowed to exist, and every time that decission has come to be, we pay for it.

To kill off everything we are ignorant (scared) of, would leave us in the same boat with the extinct.

I see people with pumped up chest because they caught a shark with a sophisticated arsenal in the "simple minded" sharks home, who has no evil thoughts, just a need to survive. [Linked Image] go figure.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-09-2003).]
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 08/30/04 05:58 AM
OK I've been lurking. So what! I thought this was cool. Any new animal/reptile stories?
Posted By: dereckbc Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 08/30/04 03:15 PM
Being from Oklahoma and a former OG&E employee, it is Oklahoma Gas & Electric. Lets see the snake has a triangle shaped head, pits behind eyes, white mouth. It is a Cottonmouth (AKA water moccasin). Poisonous, aggressive, and from the same family as the rattlesnakes and copperheads.
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 09/08/04 03:37 AM
Those black snakes in the panel look like Black Rat Snakes to me. I used to have one that was 4 to 5 feet long.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Snaaaaaakes! - 09/08/04 09:28 PM
That snake crossing sign is about 90 minutes north of where I live. Narcisse Manitoba is reputed to be the biggest den of garter snakes in the world. They get upwards of 20000 visitors a year to watch the snakes migrate.
A few years ago Manitoba Hydro underground construction crews voluntered to push some small culverts under the highway that along with some fencing keep the snakes off the road but allow them to move to and from their dens and not get squished.
Never taken the ride up there though, the thought of that many snakes gives me the shivers even though they are safe.
© ECN Electrical Forums