ECN Forum
Posted By: Mike Shn Electical tester - 07/07/01 07:15 PM
Hello
Does someone know model of a good electrical tester? Can someone give me an advice which electrical tester I should buy. Also if you know would you give me a link on the internet where I can buy it.
Thanks
Posted By: sparky Re: Electical tester - 07/07/01 09:47 PM
http://www.triplett.com/
http://www.testersandmeters.com/TM_home.nsf

Mike,
this is a good topic, and the BB's members could probably rate any given tester given specifics, i.e.
***what's the best Amprobe?
***what's a good Amprobe
***what's the best DMV
*** "
***what's the best impedance tester
***what's the best meger?
***what's a good meger?
I'm in the market for some testers too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: habbbby Re: Electical tester - 07/07/01 10:30 PM
Fluke model 77 is a great all around DVM, for another great DVM with 4-20ma advantages, look at the fluke 787.
Posted By: electure Re: Electical tester - 07/07/01 10:34 PM
For my carry-around-with-me-all-the-time tester, I have a Fluke T5-600.
It's not much bigger than a SqD wiggie, and will measure voltage, resistance to 1 K-ohm, and amperage to 100 Amps. It's about $80, but well worth it, and just as accurate as you'll need.
My in the truck clamp around is a Fluke 36
I also have a 23.
They're all great, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-07-2001).]
Posted By: tmon Re: Electical tester - 07/07/01 11:21 PM
I would also recommend the Fluke 77. If you purchase the clamp-on (ammeter)attachment, you've got a good all around meter.
Posted By: amp-man Re: Electical tester - 07/08/01 02:06 AM
Look at the Fluke 112 (new) or the good old Fluke 16. The 16 is great cuz it has a uamp range, f and C temp, and has a time/date stamp for min and max readings. Quite a deal for about $120.

For a simple tester, be on the lookout for the new Ideal voltage/continuity tester, the "vol-con elite". Supposed to be out in late July. One version (the 61-092) has a built in non-contact voltage tester and a shaker (soleniod). About $73.

The all around tester that I carry in my bags 80 percent of the time is the Fluke T5-600. Voltage, resistance and continuity, non-contact AC amps (with a U-shaped slot in one end), and well-designed.

And remember, before relying on a measurement, always test the terster on a known live circuit.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Electical tester - 07/08/01 03:29 AM
I've got the Fluke T-5 1000, which I'm sure is the same as the 600, but rated for 1000V.
Didn't really need the 1000, but my choices were either the 1000 or nothing at the moment. I paid $90 for it, my only complaint is that it doesn't expand the scale on lower voltages.

I've got a Pyramid "Amprobe" DVM that measures in increments of .01 V in DC and .1V in AC. More useful for some applications, like checking the battery power on your drill... (Although a "load" would make it even better)

Got an older "Radio Shack" RMS meter, but it's accuracy in questionable.

Got an old Micronta analog meter, it too is questionable...

Speaking of questions....

What does an analog meter display, RMS or averaged?
Would it be considered more or less accurate, assuming being recently calibrated?
My old boss swore that the real-time movement of the needle would tell you infinitely more that a 1/2 second digital sample. Any truth to this?
Why not use a "digilog" meter?
Posted By: Tom Re: Electical tester - 07/08/01 06:39 PM
66',

Analog meters display averaged values.

I use a Fluke 87 True RMS with a 300 amp clamp on accesory, also true RMS. Pricey, but many times, for me at least, a leeser meter won't do.

I also have a cheap analog multimeter for use when the Fluke is too sensitive and I also have an Amprobe clamp on that gets exercised once in awhile.

I ended up with the Fluke 87 because of it's recording abilities and being able to capture really short events. In some of the troubleshooting I do, these features are really important.
Posted By: silverbk Re: Electical tester - 07/09/01 06:38 AM
for a wiggy I use a fluke t2
for amprobe I have an Extech Mini clamp, very handy measures ac and dc current.
I also carry a gb tick tester in my pouch.
Posted By: CanadianSparky Re: Electical tester - 07/10/01 12:38 AM
I use the fluke 77 too. Only problem is they tend to get legs really fast on the big sites you gotta watch them or lose em
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Electical tester - 07/10/01 07:05 AM
Hi Virgil,
As to the quoted post below, here's a few quick and dirty opinions [found below the quoted section]:

Originally posted by sparky66wv:
Speaking of questions....

What does an analog meter display, RMS or averaged?
Would it be considered more or less accurate, assuming being recently calibrated?
My old boss swore that the real-time movement of the needle would tell you infinitely more that a 1/2 second digital sample. Any truth to this?
Why not use a "digilog" meter?

Q1: What does an analog meter display, RMS or averaged?

A1: Depending on the type and quality of the meter, you would find both levels in Analog scale meters.
The straight Voltage meters would definitely display an Effective [RMS] voltage value - since that closely resembles the DC equivalent in a Power formula. This would be common for simple meters and high end ones.
For Amperage, the high end ones will likely be the only ones that will readout RMS levels of more than the fundamental Hz. It's not very simple to do the math involving multi Hz, then dump it into a coil with a moving armature.
By contrast, the normal common AC ammeter with an Analog scale will describe an Averaged current level - it finds some common place within the distorted sinewave and registers that value. These also view the current primarily at 60 Hz, so accuracy of total current flow is far from exact.

Q2: Would it be considered more or less accurate, assuming being recently calibrated?

A2: Normally, the Analog scales will have 5% - 10% tolerance, where as the simplest Digital scale will have 1% tolerance.
Analog tolerances are effected by lots of factors, which change from location to location, plus their loading effects [input Impedance] varies, due to the coil/armature stuff; however, a Digital device has very steady state logic gates for inputs.
There are high end Analog scale meters with better than 1% tolerance, but they cost $$$!
One way to clamp some accuracy to an Analog scale is by using either a trimpot, fixed "Hi Q" resistor[s], Thermistor, or a Varistor.

Q3: My old boss swore that the real-time movement of the needle would tell you infinitely more that a 1/2 second digital sample. Any truth to this?

A3: Using an Analog scale will describe swinging fluctuations on circuits as they occur and with a visual indication - where a Digital scale just cannot even come close to being as simple to detect. The fluctuations on a circuit will directly correspond with the Analog meter's armature [needle], so when something changes electrically, the needle swings.
I have seen some high refresh rate [quick sample and hold] Digital meters, but they are still not as "simple to the eyes" as an Analog scale has for fluctuations.

Q4: Why not use a "digilog" meter?

A4: I have seen some in different designs - Voltage, Amperage and Multi Meters, but they were high end ones. Not sure if any low to medium end ones exsist.

Scott SET
© ECN Electrical Forums