ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Back Again .... - 06/12/03 03:47 AM
Well, this time someone shot a hole in one of the cables knocking out 900 Telephone and T1 lines.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

That's all I'm going to say ...
Posted By: sparky Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 04:04 AM
rather poor shots eh?

hmmmm
we may have to pass the hat and get you some body armor Bill
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 08:42 AM
So that's what took it out this time! [Linked Image]

Glad to see everything restored.
Posted By: walrus Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 09:40 AM
Bill
Are you living in Maine, someone shooting at a sign or a telephone pole sounds alot like northern Maine [Linked Image]
Posted By: Big A Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 11:31 AM
Or Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia...Any place where there are good ole boys.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 12:30 PM
Does Long Island count....? [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 01:02 PM
There have been several problems with the lines connecting ECN to the world in the past months, right? I take it that they must be OH lines, located so that they are easily sabotaged. Surely, this must be a major concern for the ISP?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 04:22 PM
C-H,

Yes, it is a major concern. My Brother is the ISP for ECN and a number of other websites. Many of these websites are 'e-tailers' meaning they do business selling things on the web.

Many thousands of $$ get lost every day that the lines are down, but what can be done about it? Most of the lines are overhead and in some sparsely populated areas. I don't think there's any doubt that someone has an ax to grind, possibly against the Telco company and that's why this is happening.

Several years ago when the servers were set up at this location they had looked into getting a Cable connection (I don't know too much about this, so am unsure of terminology) and were quoted a price of $50,000 just to bring the line to the building. That might start looking like a bargain if this stuff continues.

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 05:34 PM
Sometimes a backup server in a remote location can be cost effective. In the Bonneville Power Admin service territory, {WA∙OR∙ID∙MT} blazing pipes to their backbone seem close to dirt cheap.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 06:13 PM
Bj,

It used to be easier when the business was smaller and the few servers could be transported to another location. But now there are a bunch of them and everything is rack-mounted so space in the central office, (or wherever he used to take the servers) would be an issue.

Alternatives are definitely something to think about.

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Back Again .... - 06/12/03 09:40 PM
Bill, you may have hit on a good idea. We all see plenty of generators and air compressors bolted to trailers whizzing down the road. I can see it now — Roll∙a∙Server! [Sorry.]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Back Again .... - 06/13/03 04:12 AM
Bill:

Sounds like it's time to look into bulletproof surveillance cameras with infrared illuminators for night-vision capability.

Then again, that doesn't help much in terms of repairing service that was knocked out...
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Back Again .... - 06/13/03 04:53 AM
TG,

Thanks, but these incidents aren't happening onsite, they're up to a mile or so away.

[Linked Image]
(I'm better now)
Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums