ECN Forum
Posted By: MONOLITH Legal Question - 05/26/03 12:39 PM
I recently resigned from a company, due to it's many flaws, from inept management and self destructive business decisions,to major improprieties, such as illegally withholding employees IRA contributions, etc.

I was the foreman of a large commercial project.

I left the project (as well as several other employees and the Project manager)about 6 to 8 weeks from the end of the job.

My former employer recently contacted me, thru an attorney (a scare tactic), claiming I will be sued if I don't come back and assemble as-built drawings for him.

My position is this; I feel, as an hourly paid employee, once I resigned I am under no further obligation to perform any services for that company. Also, 8 weeks is plenty of time to find a competent replacement, who could research the project, and put together as-builts.

I am basically calling his bluff, and said I'll see him in court.

Can anyone offer any insight into this situation. Am I actually obligated to continue to perform services for this company after resigning?
Posted By: electure Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 12:58 PM
I don't know about Pennsylvania, but here in CA an employee's (hourly or not) duties are through once he/she terminates employment.
Call their bluff, and file against them with your Labor Board for their improprieties such as the withholding of IRA, etc. [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Roger Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 02:00 PM
I agree with electure. Call their bluff.
I would still notify your labor board on the other items regardless, but thats probably just me.

Roger
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 04:40 PM
I don't think you have a legal obligation to do this, however you might be able to cash in by doing it. How much is it worth to them? Can you tell them you would be glad to help for $150/hr? Otherwise you have another project and don't have time for them. (Get the money upfront and consult an attorney to make sure they can't sue you for extortion)
Posted By: wocolt Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 05:06 PM
I am not so sure, I would think you would have an obligation to the company. JMO, but if you were the leadman or forman, then their would be something binding between you and the company. Did you give two weeks notice before leaving ?
I would tread lightly on this one, is there any chance to reconcile with the Boss just to the end of the project ?
If he can prove that the job came in late because you left(providing there is a late clause) you could be held responsible.

Best of luck to you

Wm.Colt
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 06:11 PM
I tend to think that his 'case' couldn't really hold up.

An as-built, in it's minimal state, is nothing more than a documentation of things that are added or deleted from contract drawings. While many of us who do them may include important J-box locations, and other 'secrets', that, IMO, isn't part of the contractual requirement. The requirement of the as-built is more to cover the 'there's 6 lights instead of 5, and they are 60 watt instead of 40 watt' type thing.

So, saying that, it would seem that any competent electrician/foreperson could walk a job, review documentation, etc, and produce a reasonable set of as-builts.

Personally, if it was my company, I'd throw it together myself, even if I had to 'wing' it a little.

The company chose to not have someone do that, largely in part of the extreme incompetency of this organization, which is why I left.

I think the only thing that might work against me, is a judge who has no understanding of construction, it's practices, or what as-builts are. He would view this as an 'outsider', which might place more sympathy on the side of the employer.

Either way, this former employer is guilty of not paying into any employees IRA accounts for two years, a mandatory 2% of incomes.

He makes statements like " A raise? That's a good way to get fired", and so, I have no desire to cooporate with him.

I am going to make an 'offer' to resolve the matter. If he wishes to re-hire me, I will agree to work for him temporarily, as a sub contractor for a reasonable hourly rate, plus enough to cover the taxes on it, plus a few dollars an hour more to compensate for the benefits. Then he can 1099 me next year, but I'll already have the taxes on it paid by him.

Plus I want my IRA money before I do anything.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 06:41 PM
I would tell him to go______________________!!!(fill in the blank)
If you were an hourly employee, how could you possibly have any obligation to give him anything?
On the other hand, I would contact the labor board about his not paying into the IRA accounts. I once had an employer that was holding out a portion of each check towards insurance and not paying it. I filed a claim with the labor board and recieved a check in full.(should have sued the bastard for embezzlement [Linked Image] )
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 07:52 PM
I know the laws vary from state,and courts do screwey things,but how could an hourly employee be held responsible for anything that happens after he quits a job?

If you had signed a contract to complete the job,sure. But an hourly employee? That's got to be one of the nuttiest things I,ve ever heard
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 09:25 PM
QUOTE:
"That's got to be one of the nuttiest things I've ever heard"

Heh. Yeah, falls right in line with how that outfit operates. It's an Electrical company owned and run by a salesman/PR type guy, who has no construction experience. Strange situation.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 09:56 PM
If you provided X number of hours work for X number of hours pay, the agreement made is completed and your responsibility is too.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Legal Question - 05/26/03 10:46 PM
ML — "claiming I will be sued if I don't..." Has the attorney put that threat in writing for you?
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/27/03 12:20 AM
No, no written threat.

However, my former employer called me and asked me to return his call. He didn't even wait 24 hours, the next night he gave his attorney my home phone # and had the attorney call my home. The attorney left a message. He didn't say what it was regarding, but did say that (employer) asked him to call, and said it was 'extremely important' that I call him the next day. He said it in that 'bill collector' tone of voice that makes it seem like I better call or else.

Well, I am two things...I am very 'not push aroundable', and I am very literate and good with the written word.

I called the ex-employer immediately, told him off for sicking the lawyer on me, and told him I would take care of his lawyer too. I then typed up this excellent letter; you would swear a lawyer wrote it (I should post it here for your enjoyment), instructing him to cease and desist any communications with me, or it would constitute harrassment. I also explained my position, and how all of his problems he has caused on his own.

Then, just to add insult to injury, since I have a personal relationship with the building owner (the project we were building) I informed him that I would do whatever I needed to do to help the client, but would completely sidestep him (employer) in the process.
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: Legal Question - 05/27/03 07:36 PM
MONOLITH:
Be careful! Your last statement that you would help the client and by-pass the EC could, legal wise, place you in a world of hurt.

Rowdy
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/27/03 09:56 PM
Probably true.

What a mess. In my 20 years in the trade I've never seen a situation like this.

I am going to try to negotiate things so everyone can get some of what they want. I will get my IRA money, former employer will get his as-builts, and building owner can get rid of all of us.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Legal Question - 05/27/03 10:21 PM
I would just ignore the whole thing. They don't want a law suit any more than you do. And I can't see where they'd have a leg to stand on anyway. Most problems, if ignored just go away on their own.
Posted By: US Coreman Re: Legal Question - 05/28/03 12:38 PM
Yes, be careful with ANY communications with the building owner. Even if you brought this work to this EC, it is now, his client, and any acoomunications or offers o good faith could be constued as actionable. Problem is, that YOU have to pay to defend yourself if an action is placed against you; irrespective of your guilt or inocence.

You should pursue your missing 401K contrbutions. May I ask, are these both your contributions AND his matching, [if any]? That is YOUR money, just as much as what appears on your check. It is hard earned. If he is "stealing" from you in that manner, it would, in my book speak volumes to the esteem and worth which he holds you in.

Remember too that employment is a contract that places responsibility on both parties. You perform a prescribed work practice, by showing up on time, doing what you are supposed to in a timely and competent fashion for the EC, and accurately post your time for compensation AS AGREED UPON at the begining of employment. Your employer must provide you with a safe place to work, proper tooling and support by wich you must complete this work in his interest, and compensate you in a timely manner as, again, you both agreed to at the start of employment. If that includes insurance, and 401K, it's just as important as the dollars on the check. What would happen if you got sick or hurt and found out insurance coverage he provides has lapsed due to lack of payment of the premiums?

Since I'm a union member, I have some protections afforded me, but this isn't a soapbox for that. This is an area where they actually do some good, but now YOU must be your own union; an advocate for you!

If you had screwed up, the EC would probably think very little of discharging you on the spot. It sounds like you have swallowed enough crap in dealing with this incompetence already. You said it yourself: [quote]" I...resigned from a company, due to it's many flaws, from inept management and self destructive business decisions,to major improprieties, such as illegally withholding employees IRA contributions, etc." You were a paid hourly empoyee, without a written employment contract, it would appear.

Walk away, keep walking, do not do any as-builts, do not do any work as a sub-contractor as that can expose you to other liabilites for which you may not insured, such as errors and omissions as well as professional liability, and licensing issues depending on your licensing and state requirements. Keep walking to your department of labor and get your $$. Face it, you were not alone : [quote]I left the project (as well as several other employees and the Project manager)about 6 to 8 weeks from the end of the job.

You might counter to the EC that if you are called into court, you will be countersuing him for replacement wages or time lost, as well as YOUR lawyer fees. Ask an attorney if you can place a lien on this building and any others that you worked on for your 401K payments that are missing. But now I'm just getting angry.

[This message has been edited by US Coreman (edited 05-28-2003).]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Legal Question - 05/28/03 04:07 PM
There may also be a larger entity interested in this EC's money concerns if he has neglected to make the contributions to your IRA, either your contributions or his matching. The IRS would likely be very interested in verifying that IRA contributions did indeed get deposited if he claimed that they were made as that is likely reflected as a cost/expense on his balance sheet. If he did not in fact deposit them, he would have had to pay tax on them or justify the existence somewhere of this 'extra' money in his possession.
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Legal Question - 05/29/03 12:00 AM
Just to clarify my statement, my intent to assist the owner (instead of employer) wasn't quite meant the way it sounded in my post. It wasn't my intent to provide the owner with something I was supposed to provide the employer (from a legal standpoint), it was more one of those "If a breaker trips and you can't find it, call me, I'm right up the street".

I am going to try to 'repair' the bridge, by offering, again, my assistance to the employer. All I ask beforehand is that he make the proper contributions to my IRA (retroactive), and temporarily rehire me (hourly, to limit my legal responsibility) for a reasonable rate.

Thanks again for all the replys.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Legal Question - 06/01/03 02:57 AM
That sounds like a plan.

Make an agreement with your former employer that you will draw the As-Builts for this job, using what information you have now, and if they want to give you further info, add it too
Draw the As-Builts and plot out a few sets - keep a set for your own personal records.
Place disclaimer text on the plans which states your not responsible for any crazy claims from your former employer, nor were you involved with Engineering this project - only documenting the work as it was installed between X date and X date, plus note your references of using other person's data from this project (if things have changed enough to need this).

Figure an appropriate bid price for your work and overhead, then propose this to the old employer.

Make stipulations that only when you receive payment for your work and / or past owed monies, will they receive hard copy sets.
If they also request planset copy on disk, be sure to make a copy for your own records.
Print out the "DOS Properties" of the CAD file, which include all dates for new creation, modification and last accessed - along with file size.

I mention all this just so you do not get caught with your pants down in the middle of a legal issue and finger pointing frenzy. These items will give you plenty of ammo to fire back with, and keep you from having to deal with more "Nasty-Grams".

Most likely, the EC and the GC cannot collect the final retainer of this job without complete As-Builts, so that's why you are receiving "Nasty-Grams" and phone calls.

Try not to play their game of "I can out-lawyer you" and all the scare tactics involved. This will only start more trouble. Just make everything simple, clear, legal and agreed on with signed documents by both / all parties involved.

Lastly, do not in any way, shape or form, use the term "Electrical Engineer" to describe your work or involvement on the As-Built planset, unless you hold an active P.E. License for EE. This will get you into more hot water than a Steam Genny on a Fission Generating Station!!!

Good luck!

Scott

p.s. anyone of the more "legal-eze" members, care to comment on my post? please do so if I have gone in the wrong direction.

S.E.T.
© ECN Electrical Forums