ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe2 Light bulb life - 05/04/03 02:34 PM
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with 60-75w household lightbulbs not lasting but about 2 months in my house. I live near the beach but don't know if the salt enviroment adds to the problem. Line voltage reads 115v-117v on the average. I also experience 1 to 2 brown outs a month.

Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Light bulb life - 05/04/03 03:21 PM
Cheaper bulbs=weaker filament.Also I make sure to buy bulbs with a 130v rating.Granted they are gonna burn out at different rates but have had good luck. Hope this helps.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Light bulb life - 05/06/03 09:10 PM
Vibration from stomping on the floor above or slamming doors can always accelerate a bulb's demise.

Also, is it true that an enclosed fixture shortens bulb life or is that only if the fixture is overlamped?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Light bulb life - 05/07/03 12:18 AM
Joe,

How close are you to the transformer on the power pole? The closer you are the higher the voltage might be. I have a transformer from the power company right outside my house and I get 125-130 volts AC and my bulbs don't last too long. As Elektrikguy said, you might need 130 volt AC bulbs. They will last longer.
Posted By: Joe2 Re: Light bulb life - 05/11/03 11:50 PM
I'm located right off the transformer so I think our houses experience the same problem.

Thanks for the 130v bulb idea. I'll try it out.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums