ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/01/03 11:58 PM
Bidding a job to upgrade a all aluminum wire home. Any suggestions on what kind of connecters to pigtail all the outlets and switches? I checked with my supply house and they had those purple wire nuts with no-lox in them for $1.79 each. Is there a better way to go?
Thanks for any input,
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 12:26 AM
The wire nuts with Noalox in in them is the best way I no of. You should be able to find a better price than $1.79 ea. [Linked Image] Are you sure that wasn't for a pack of 8 or 10? I know you can buy them in a larger container.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 01:08 AM
This doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. Changing the devices and leaving the wiring is just a bandaid approach. I wouldn't touch this one unless they were willing to go with new wiring.
Posted By: Edward Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 01:49 AM
The only ones i know is the wire nut that is from IDEAL and is about $3.80 for two @ Home Depot. I usually charge about $20-25 per device if it is aluminum wiring.

Edward
Posted By: sparky806 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 02:30 AM
Be careful with the purple wire nuts. The CPSC considers them to be for tempory use only. They have a bad habit of heating up and burning. AMP corp. makes a crimp on connector that can't be beat, however, you must buy the rights to your area and lease the crimp tool from them. Also, they are the only soarce for the connectors. I won't touch an AL. job unless it's a total rewire.
Richard
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 02:41 AM
There's some info from CPSC in one of the Safety areas here: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000428.html

Bill
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 04:06 AM
Electricmanscott,

I can't see replacing the whole wiring system. I don't see any problem with the aluminum wire runs itself, the problem is at the connections. Getting the right connection with copper wire should take care of the problem.. Am I wrong?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 11:30 AM
I have used the Purple wire nuts and feel comfortable with them. Read the instructions carefully, and be prepared to encounter broken wires. The job could easily escalate.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 05:17 PM
Since it is not legal to make splices in the panel, then nothing is done to change the aluminum connections at the breakers.. correct?
Posted By: Jim M Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/03 09:48 PM
Most breakers I have seen are listed for use with AL or copper wires.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 01:31 AM
Who says you can't make splices in the panel? Some times you have to and I don't know of a specific code prohiting splices in a panel.
Posted By: LK Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 03:32 AM
We use the CU/AL wire nuts for temp repairs only, and recommend the customer rewire. The AMP tooling is the only approved method of permanent repairs; however try to get this tool in the box to make a proper splice and you will qualify for doing brain surgery. The use of pigtails can make more problems occur. Just moving the existing alum wire can damage it. You may want to check some of the back issues of news papers there are some real horror stories out there.
We had one here in North Jersey last year.
The home was a total loss and the family never made it out. They said the wiring was mixed copper and alum. So be cautious when you take these jobs.
LK
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 05:38 AM
Electric Eagle,

As far as I know panels are not to be used as junction boxes, which includes splicing wires.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 05:39 AM
Some good points were made, I may have to just pass this one up.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 10:41 AM
There is no problem with splicing in panels as long as you don't fill the panel with splices. (Not very technical but it's early) As far as replacing the wiring read the link that Bill has up there and you may think differently. To me only options are replace wiring or use the COPALUM repair system. I wouldn't do anything else. I have to trust the CPSC and as they would likely have more info on this application than any of us. Again try to convince them of the hazard, if they can't see it tell them you are not comfortable with a band aid approach and walk away!
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 10:49 AM
According to the U.S. Consumer Oroducts Safety Commission (CPSC), Tyco Electronics' COPALUM crimp connector repair system, which uses a cold weld to attach a copper wire to the old aluminum wires, is the only system that has been recognized to provide a complete and permanent repair.

To insure that repairs are properly made, the system's connector repair materials and power crimpimg tools are available only to electricians who receive training from the manufacturer.

Without the Tyco system, the only way to safely upgrade aluminum wiring systems is to install new copper circuits.

Rowdy
Posted By: iwire Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 10:54 AM
Splicing in, and using a panel as a raceway is permitted.

In the 2002 NEC you can find this at 312.8 but this is not a new code, just relocated.

You can also look at 404.3(A) and 404.3(B) this ends up pointing you back to 312.8

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 05-03-2003).]
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 11:43 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 1, 2003
Release # 03-120 CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: Scott Wolfson, (301) 504-7051
Tyco Electronics Media Contact: Paul Lavenberg, (717) 592-2409

May Is National Electrical Safety Month: Good News for Homeowners - Aluminum Wiring Fix Still Available
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced today that Tyco Electronics Corp., of Harrisburg, Pa., has agreed to continue offering the COPALUM connector repair system until at least 2005 for homes with aluminum wiring. The COPALUM repair system has benefited tens of thousands of consumers by reducing the risks of dangerous overheating and fire that can be caused by failing aluminum wiring connections. It is estimated that 2 million homes were built with aluminum wire between 1965 and 1973.

Warning signs, such as warm-to-the-touch face plates on outlets or switches, flickering lights, circuits that don't work, or the smell of burning plastics, can indicate a fire hazard within 15- and 20-ampere aluminum wiring circuits. A failure in the circuits can lead to electrical arcing and a serious fire, which can spread within the walls of a home before being detected.

The COPALUM crimp connector, which has been available for more than 20 years, is the only system recognized by CPSC that provides a complete and permanent repair and reduces the fire hazard in aluminum wire circuits. The COPALUM connector system attaches a copper wire to the old aluminum wires and is then crimped together with a power tool, achieving a "cold weld" between the conductors. The "cold weld" creates a permanent bond that eliminates electrical arcing or glowing connections and creates a safer electrical connection at outlets, switches, lights, circuit breakers, and panelboard terminals. The COPALUM connector repair materials and power crimping tools are only available to electricians who receive training from the manufacturer, to ensure that repairs are properly made.

"CPSC appreciates Tyco's commitment to protecting the safety of consumers by continuing to offer COPALUM connectors," said CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "Without the Tyco Electronics system, the only method for safely upgrading aluminum wiring systems would be to install new copper circuits, which is often impractical for consumers."

CPSC believes that "twist-on" connectors, receptacles and switches and other devices that connect directly to aluminum wires, are an inadequate solution. The COPALUM crimp connector system provides a safe, permanent fix.

If homeowners are not certain whether their home has aluminum branch circuit wiring, they can look at the markings on the surface of the electric cables which may be visible in unfinished basements, attics or garages. Aluminum wiring will have "Al" or "Aluminum" marked every few feet along the cable. A home inspector or qualified electrician also can assist in identifying aluminum wiring. CPSC advises that consumers should not open the interior of the panelboard or circuit breaker compartment - this can expose live wires and pose an electrocution hazard.

COPALUM connectors are available from Tyco Electronics under the AMP brand. Consumers can check to see if the COPALUM connector system is available in their area by calling the company at (800) 522-6752. To order a list of authorized electricians in their area, consumers can write to: Tyco Electronics Corp., Attn: Aluminum Wire Repair Program, P.O. Box 3608, Harrisburg, PA 17105-3608. If no authorized electrician is currently located nearby, consumers can have an electrician interested in repairing their home contact the nearest supplier of AMP- brand COPALUM connectors for training and other repair information.

For more information about aluminum wiring and the crimp connector system, see "Repairing Aluminum Wiring" (pdf). Consumers can also obtain a free copy of this booklet by writing to CPSC, Washington, DC 20207.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 03:38 PM
Any estimates or ideas on rewiring with copper? Looks to be a lot of fishing through the walls.
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/03/03 06:22 PM
aldav53:
I have only done 2 home rewires, not because of aluminum wiring though, we replaced bx and knob and tube. We charged T&M for both jobs because of the variables involved-possible cats in the walls, low attic space, and lots of wall fishes, etc...

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 05-03-2003).]
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 07/24/03 06:49 AM
I've been looking thru older posts and came upon this thread. I am doing some work for my father-in-law who's house is wired in aluminum so I'm very interested. I devoured the CPSC report. My conclusion is that they really said,"If you don't install the purple wire nuts correctly, they may fail." I sounded to me like all the observed failures were related to improper preparation and installation. Gee, if I don't strip the insulation off of copper, just land it under a screw - I might have problems. So the CPSC declares that if I don't clean the aluminum oxide off, I might have problems. I'm going to pigtail all the outlets (carefully) and clean and noalox all the wires in the panel. When I'm finished, I'll go home and sleep better knowing he and my mother-in-law are far safer. Given their financial status, a total gut is not really an option for them.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 07/24/03 12:39 PM
One of the downfalls of the internet is 'MISINFORMATION'. One of the good things of the internet is 'INFORMATION AVAILABILITY'. This site is an example of the information that is available. When a person reads information on the net he/she has to be very careful of the reliability of the information. The less experience/time spent doing so is going to make this type of research harder. The reason is there is so much misinformation available.
I have done some extensive research myself, on the internet, about the available methods of splicing copper to aluminum conductors.

I have read a lot of the articles available, including the CPSC report. I have been in contact with the gentleman who invented the Ideal Twister wirenut. I have been in contact with UL, and I performed a 'field test' of my own(however feeble some may think that is). I filmed and documented the test over a 12 hour time period. I read the CPSC report and was at first shocked that Ideal would try to fraud the public, but then I started my 'quest' for the truth of the matter

1. Has anyone who has read the CPSC report researched that report? The report research was not performed by a scientist or an engineer. The timing of the report is very interesting, the report was released in '96, a few months after the Ideal 'Purple' wirenut became available. Most of the research was performed years before the 'Purple' wirenut was available. The pictures of the wirenuts used in the research are not the 'Purple' wirenut.
There are many inconsistencies in the report.
For instance, it mentions the wirenut will catch fire from heat and add to the fire of the contents of the enclosure they are in. That is not true. There is more but I am not going to go over it here.

2. UL has no reported failures of the 'Purple' wirenut in 8 years. They feel as long as the instructions of the Ideal wirenut are followed it is a viable system.

3. The Copalum system is a good system, but also has its share of problems when not performed correctly.

The information that is available can be suspect, but a site like this will usually have someone to counter the information that is being reported. So what is one to do? Use common sense when you are not sure and keep on looking for the answer, you are bound to find the correct answer at some point. PERSEVERENCE!

As far as rewiring a house with Aluminum wiring, I have three approaches, of which installed correctly are all fine. BTW - the aluminum conductors are not so much the problem as is the connection of the aluminum to conductors or terminals. But for arguments sake there are plenty of copper terminations that also fail.
1. If the budget of the customer can afford to rewire, I rewire.
2. If the budget is not able to afford the rewire, then I will suggest the Copalum or wirenut installation. This is safer than leaving the Aluminum terminations as they are.
The one downfall of the Copalum installation that sticks out is this: If additional work is needed to be performed after the initial installation and there is no one available to perform the Copalum (you lease their equipment and have to take their class to be able to install Copalum), Then some other method has to be installed.

The fire mentioned in the post is a terrible tragedy, but there are also many copper tragedies similar to this.

I try to be unbiased in my research and will sometimes take a stance most people do not agree with. This is just my opinion and I am sure that some will disagree. That is actually good, we need to hash out the 'gray' points of this industry to help fine tune it. That is what makes this fun!

aldav53 if you are unsure of doing this installation, the best thing to do is not perform it. You sound like a concerned contractor who wants to do the right thing, so I bet you would do a fine job. One thing to remember is the liability of this type of work is greater, so the cost should reflect this.
I have physically inspected Copalum and the Purple wirenut installations and I believe that if instructions are followed that either system will perform fine.
Properly reskinning the Aluminum wire is very important, regardless of which method you use. Also check for the proper size conductor.
BTW- I have made approximately 90,000 Aluminum to copper splices.

Good Luck

Pierre
Posted By: smarz Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/25/13 07:57 AM
Pierre,

Have you ever used Alumicom connectors? They are approved connectors. If you have used them, what do you think about them?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/25/13 08:01 AM
Sherman, set the way back machine to 2003 wink

The King Industries Alumicon is one of the CPSC approved methods although the Ideal 65 is still listed and "legal" if you look at the NEC.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/25/13 01:35 PM
Another blast from the past....Pierre!!

Smarz: Welcome to ECN Forums!!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/28/13 07:16 PM
I would like to remind all of the definition of "science".

"Science" depends upon following the 'scientific method.' Integral elements of the scientific method are controlled experiments and repeatable results.

So much of what is reported was neither performed with a 'control' for comparison, nor have the results been duplicated elsewhere. "Studies" released by various 'consumer authorities' almost always fail the test of science.

Theory, field observations, and history are not enough to make something 'science.'

The rants against both aluminum wiring and FPE breakers both fail the test of science. I can say this, because our Canadian neighbors have NOT had the same experience, though their materials, circumstances, and methods are the same.

Older installations have their challenges. Aluminum wire presents its' own issues. The problems with aluminum wire are often compounded by other practices, apart from the material the wire in made from.

With the differences in the history of aluminum wiring between the USA and Canada, we must ask whether our beliefs are motivated by doctrine, rather than science.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/29/13 01:28 AM
I have always said, the aluminum problem may be workmanship issues as much as anything else. (a good part of it by homeowners)
We never actually got a test of the new alloy or the CO/ALr devices.
I do know there are plenty of old aluminum houses out there that didn't burn down.
Posted By: KJay Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 04/29/13 01:47 PM
I prefer the AlumiConns as well. I do have a stash of the purple wirenuts I bought years ago, but with all of the controversy surrounding them, I don't think I will never use them.
Other than taking up room in the boxes, the only caveat with the AlumiConn connectors is that the instructions say you need to use a torque screwdriver to properly torque the screw terminals when you install them to maintain the UL listing. I think it's something like 10 in/lbs for the #12 aluminum wires and 15 in/lbs for the copper wires. Of course they can be installed with an ordinary screwdriver, but then supposedly the UL a listed is invalid. I wonder how they prove or disprove that the proper tool was used if there is ever a problem?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Aluminum to Copper Connectors - 05/02/13 01:16 AM
Probably more than half of Eastern Europe is wired with aluminium, and some war-time stuff still hangs around in Western Europe. Those houses don't burn all the time, but some do. Apparently the biggest problem with the alloys commonly used for home wiring is mechanical, namely flowing under pressure. I talked to an expert in chemistry and he said that the oxide layer really isn't an issue you need to worry about because you can't prevent it, if you remove it mechanically or chemically it will return before you have any chance to terminate the wire. He also said that corrosion of copper-aluminium connections is only possible if water is present, therefore it is recommended to use vaseline on any exposed Al wire.

Last weekend I did a thorough check of some Czech wiring and those parts wired with copper had far more loose screws than those wired with aluminium. Might have something to do with the actual load though as the Al was limited to lighting circuits. On the other hand, the 6 mm2 Al main feed was rock solid too. So I guess you can't generalise.

On the other hand, Al definitely breaks more easily when nicked, so you have to be extra careful when stripping Al.
© ECN Electrical Forums