ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 02:48 AM
Remember this thread ?

Well, said electrical contractor has called me tonight offering to sub me some work at the "big job"... Apparently he has three cottages going on at once, and more big jobs coming up.

I'm baffled by the whole thing.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 04:36 AM
GET at least 25% as a down payment.
Make them sign a contract that has a all work done to code and no one there can tell you other wise.
Enjoy the work.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 05:35 AM
Interesting !!
Things that make you go Hmmmm .... [Linked Image]

Good Luck, be careful,
Bill
Posted By: txsparky Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 01:30 PM
Maybe he wants to see what code compliant work looks like [Linked Image]
Posted By: rmiell Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 02:17 PM
Virgil, I guess I missed the orginal thread, but it sounds to me like you are "Back on Your Feet!!"

Glad to hear it, and good luck!!

Rick Miell
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/23/03 09:15 PM
If the work outlook is good for you tell him to go piss in a hat!
Posted By: txsparky Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 04/26/03 12:00 AM
Hey Virg,
Whad ya decide?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/02/03 02:09 AM
Donnie, and all...

Got off the phone with him just now, and I start anytime between Monday and Wednesday. All T&M, no proposal or bidding required. $25 per Manhour, which translates roughly to $15 for Jimmy and $35 for me. I can't lose unless they don't pay me, and they cover materials (I pick them up, however) so I can't lose anything but labor at worst case scenario.

Mr. Bragg seems to be a really nice guy, and only needs help covering the work he has lined up, and knows he won't have to babysit me or check my work.

I'll keep y'all posted...

A part of me keeps thinking... "It's a trap" </general akbar>... but only a small part...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-01-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/02/03 02:22 AM
Sounds good Virgil.Glad to hear things are looking up! I'd get paid every Friday tho,no if's ands or buts. Russell
Posted By: sparky Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/02/03 11:51 PM
somewhere in defining an EC there should be an addage to the effect of 'the toe you step on today might be connected to the a** you gotta kiss tommorrow' for all the irony, humility, and social baloney that goes with the turf.....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 05-02-2003).]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/03/03 12:02 AM
Sparky,

You know the saying that you wrote about stepping on toes is so true. I had more than one GC stick me for money and guess what, I am now the AHJ in their area. You should see their faces when I walk on their jobs. Their jaw has hit the floor. They ask me what I am doing there. I tell them that I am the AHJ. They stumble and stutter and ask, "How do you like, not being in your own business. Do you miss it?" My standard response is, "I like it. Now I don't have to worry about people who don't pay me!" That usually shuts them up.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/03/03 04:24 AM
Make sure you get a contract signed even for T&M. Just state what you printed above with term/draws and have him sign it. The when he tells you I never said that! You can say heres the contract. Also helps when you need the law on your side.

Phil
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/03/03 10:56 AM
Harold that is Priceless! Virg, tread lightly, remember "no good deed goes unpunished" Hate to be so cynical but cynicism is what keeps me from getting mixed up with the deadbeats.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/03/03 04:28 PM
I wonder if Roger could reply on whether or not a simple, hand-written agreement would hold up in court.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Sheer Irony... or something... - 05/04/03 10:02 PM
Yes a simple hand written contract will hold up. If it is clear about what is to be done and what is not included. Make sure it is Dated and signed by both parties. The small claims court judge here will honor that type of contract. He prefers typewritten but is not picky.
© ECN Electrical Forums