ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Where does it go!! - 04/20/03 09:57 PM
I wasrecently asked by an 8 yr old gentleman the following question. "Where does the electricity go?" Upon questioning him , he wanted to know where the current goes when it goes back to ground. I wasn't quite sure what to say. Any help?

Ob
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Where does it go!! - 04/20/03 11:17 PM
First of all, it is a great misconception that electricity flows to ground. In fact, a ground connection is not even required in order for electricity to flow. Generally, electrical current flows to it's source. And while the electrical charge is circular in flow, the energy is not. When a lamp is turned on, the charge is literaly "wiggling" back and forth through the conductor without much travel. A single electron may only move a centimeter an hour. The effect of this charge at the lamp is heat and light. So in effect, the electricity isn't going anywhere. A potential is established and utilization equipment is connected in between. All the charge that is available in the conductor will always be there and is not entering and then leaving the wire. This probably didn't clear things up, and it most certainly won't assist explaining the theory of current flow and charge to a child. Good Luck!!
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Where does it go!! - 04/20/03 11:50 PM
[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Ed
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Where does it go!! - 04/21/03 12:10 AM
Ed's illustration succinctly demonstrates that electricity is like beer. You don't buy it—you just rent it!
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Where does it go!! - 04/21/03 12:32 AM
Thanks Guys,
I believe I can explain it know. I think I will shy away from the beer analogy tho. I can't believe in all the years of training and I couldn't answer this. Couldn't find it in any of my theory books either.

Ob
Posted By: rat4spd Re: Where does it go!! - 04/21/03 03:18 AM
Never mind. bad example.

[This message has been edited by rat4spd (edited 04-20-2003).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Where does it go!! - 04/21/03 03:33 AM
LOL!!! Beer and the flow of current. . .the mind boggles. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Where does it go!! - 04/23/03 01:21 PM
OK then, especially for the kids—“…electricity is like kool-aid…”
Posted By: rmiell Re: Where does it go!! - 04/23/03 02:03 PM
It is a little known fact that there has been no new electricity generated in the US for a number of years. Since the electricity goes back to it's source, whatever you use will return back to the power plant suppling you the electricity in the first place.
There it will be returned onto the power lines suppling your home, and then back to the plant, then back to you, and so on and on.
Each time it returns to you, the power company will charge for it. In other words, you are paying for the same old electricity over and over, again and again!

From LaVern Stenson's FUNdementals of Electricity Video

Rick Miell
Posted By: pauluk Re: Where does it go!! - 04/23/03 03:19 PM
The mind boggles.......

I wonder if there's a case for suing any place that sells you something as new? After all, it's made up of atoms that have been re-used over and over again for thousands of years. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Where does it go!! - 04/25/03 01:28 AM
I buy the "wiggling electron" theory, sometimes illustrated with croqet balls. But where does the 6,280,000,000,000,000,000 electrons =1 amp fit in [Linked Image]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Where does it go!! - 04/26/03 06:04 AM
that comes from physics when you study things called coulumbs/sec.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Where does it go!! - 04/26/03 01:39 PM
So Ask Again Where does it go? Does it disapate into the earth like water?

Ob
Posted By: iwire Re: Where does it go!! - 04/26/03 02:03 PM
Just as in the picture it goes back to the source.

I look it at it as a wire full of electrons that the generator pushes in a circle (circuit) and performs work at some point along the way.

You have moved the energy in the form of electrons from the prime mover (whatever spins the generator) to where it is needed, like a light where the energy is given up as light and heat, and the electrons go back to the source to get "pushed" again.

The "Ball" diagram is illustrating "DC" but "AC" would be the same just changing the direction X times per second.

Most generators (or transformers) have one line intentionally grounded so that is why electrons flow to "ground" they are trying to get back to the source through whatever route possible.

If you had a circuit fed by a generator (or transformer) with no connection to ground you will not have any "current going to ground" at any point in the circuit.

Isolated systems like this are used in operating rooms to protect patients from shocks to ground and are covered in 2002 NEC 517.160

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-26-2003).]
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Where does it go!! - 04/27/03 09:23 PM
I think it is important to understand that the term electricity can not be universaly applied. Current and charge are two different things that hasppen at the same time in a circuit. The flow of electrons is always in a closed loop, but the energy or charge is only one way. Meaning, the flow of electrons do indeed flow back to the source, but the energy that they deliver is distributed to the load in a different from such as light, heat, or motion. The picture above is a great representation of what looks like is happening, but in reality, the electrons are not charged back to the source.
© ECN Electrical Forums