ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Greenhouses - 04/20/03 09:43 PM
Any one familiar with wiring green houses? I am considering them damp locations. There are no sprinklers. But plenty of watering. They are being used for retail plant sales.

Ob
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Greenhouses - 04/20/03 11:25 PM
I have done lots of work for agricultural facilities that contain greenhouses. They are definitely damp locations, if not a wet location with the use of sprinkler systems verses bed watering tub systems. The other concern is temperature derating of the current-carrying capacity of the conductors used to feed equipment. Sealtight (Article 356) and PVC (352) has always been the best choice for me. W/P connectors, boxes, and devices are also a must. Good Luck!
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Greenhouses - 04/21/03 12:36 AM
Hey BP,
What about w/p covers and ground fault protection for lighting? Do i use "in use covers"? I'm thinking yes?
Posted By: txsparky Re: Greenhouses - 04/21/03 02:56 AM
I've never wired a greenhouse, but what do you do about the caustic effects of the fertilizers and other chemicals used ?
Posted By: nesparky Re: Greenhouses - 04/21/03 06:33 AM
I also use PVC in green houses. Every thing that can be - conduit, boxes etc. Inuse covers for outlets that are 6' or below. I also cord and plug connect the luminares and support them from the structure. Temp derating is necessary. Also support the PVC conduit at least every 3' I use the plastic mini's.
If you keep the conduit and boxes sealed, you will not have a problem with chemicals.
But since you will almost always have a condensation problem you should arrange the conduit run to drain.
Posted By: spyder Re: Greenhouses - 04/21/03 08:30 PM
If you use PVC conduit, consider expansion couplings.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Greenhouses - 04/21/03 11:34 PM
I am planning on using emt w/ compression fittings. The last house had emt w/ set screw and they were going strong for 20yrs. Till the roof come down, literally come down. 3' of snoww will do that. This place is more retail then, growing operation. The put the plants in and keep them alive till they sell. Very limited fertilzation, Etc.

Ob
Posted By: kale Re: Greenhouses - 04/22/03 06:34 PM
I would seriously recommend going with the PVC, if allowed. The humidity in the air will rust your EMT.
© ECN Electrical Forums