ECN Forum
Posted By: frank ladder question - 06/28/01 11:22 PM
in a room with a 3 meter ceiling (9.8 ft)what size ladder do you use?
a 6 ft
b 8 ft
i think that since you must stand no higher than the third rung from the top of a ladder you would go with 8 ft.but i can reach 10 ft easily.does any one know if there is a rule regardng how far you can extened your body above the top of a ladder
Posted By: sparky Re: ladder question - 06/28/01 11:58 PM
http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshStd_data/1917_0119.html

Frank;
check out F7, that may be it..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: frank Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 01:03 AM
up im bookmarking the site thanks again!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 01:10 AM
http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshStd_toc/OSHA_Std_toc_1917.html is for marine terminals.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 01:29 AM
Originally posted by frank:
in a room with a 3 meter ceiling (9.8 ft)what size ladder do you use?
a 6 ft
b 8 ft
i think that since you must stand no higher than the third rung from the top of a ladder you would go with 8 ft.but i can reach 10 ft easily.does any one know if there is a rule regardng how far you can extened your body above the top of a ladder
It doesn't matter how far your body extends above the ladder. What matters is that you do not step on the top of (highest point), or on the second from top of the ladders stepping space. You must (by Osha--or Department of labor) stand on the third most step from the top. (It specifies this on the ladder.) good question!
Posted By: sparky Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 01:40 AM
On an extension ladder one can climb up, then step one rung down, threading your foot thru so that the one rung is behind your knee, and the next rung lower is held by the top (dorsal) of the foot.

Then lean back and say 'look ma, no hands!'

assuming ma don't work for OSHA.....
Posted By: electure Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 12:18 PM
I believe that the std Sparky's referring to applies more to extension ladders that are used to climb to rooftops, etc. They also should be tied off at the top. (this std was part of a safety meeting held by our safety compliance consultant).
Posted By: silverbk Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 05:48 PM
I have a 7 foot step ladder that I purchased on sale at home depot. I find it more useful than an 8 footer and fits in the truck better.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: ladder question - 06/29/01 09:32 PM
I got the Davidson 7 footer too and the 18 extension. They're very light, and rated for 225 lbs which is me (140 lbs) and all I want to carry up a ladder!
© ECN Electrical Forums