ECN Forum
Posted By: electricj Mind if we revisit inground pools? - 04/15/03 03:16 AM
Hi,
I’m sorry if this has been addressed before, but maybe this will help a new electrician sometime in the future,

A relative has recently asked me to wire her new in-ground pool. The contractor will dig the hole and says he will finish the pool in a week. She asked me to “wire” it and I said OK. The pool is to be 20 ‘x 40’

Now, I wired a couple of pools about 15 years ago and remember some of it was quite tricky, add this to the fact that the electrical inspector is notorious in this town, I am a little nervous.

What I remember is the #8 soft drawn copper all around the pool; bonding everything metal and terminating at the pump. I remember installing a receptacle against the pool house, which was within 10 feet of the pool.

I am trying to blow the cobwebs off. Here are my questions:

Am I required to install a receptacle near the pool?

What is the best way to do it if they are not having a pool house at this time?

She tells me the pool is done with “graphite” instead of iron rebar – do I need to bond the “graphite”?

Also she says they are thinking of the new fiber optic lighting – does this have a metal shell and/or do I need to bond and at what point?.

Lastly, I plan on bringing a ¾” pvc from the house to the pump and branching everything from there – is this a good method?

What would this work generally cost her if she had someone else do it for her?

Thanks for any help
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Mind if we revisit inground pools? - 04/15/03 03:25 AM
This might help:

Navigating the NEC's Rules for Bodies of Water
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Mind if we revisit inground pools? - 04/16/03 01:48 AM
ElectricJ:

Your relative probably means "gunite"; not "graphite".

First off, get a copy of the NEC that is in effect in your area, and go to Article 680.

Next, are permits required in your area???

Bonding is pretty straightforward, any metal over 4 sq inches, within 5' of the pool must be bonded. #8 SOLID copper, bare or green.

Basically the wiring:
PVC, a conductor with a "W" (THHN/THWN)

Read Art 680, it's not that tough.
If the FO lighting has a metal shell, it has to be bonded, it may be a plastic shell.

Have you tried "speaking" to your AHJ??? All of them (us) are not bad guys.
John
© ECN Electrical Forums