ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/11/03 09:38 PM
I know this should go down in the Computer area, so it will probably be moved there sometime.

1.) It seems that many people have cable modems nowadays. Is there some type of software deemed necessary for security purposes? What do you use or recommend?

2.) Does anyone use any filtering software like 'Net Nanny' or is there an Expolorer component that would aid in setting parental controls for younger surfers?

I am accustomed to the Parental Controls available with AOL where things can be set for 'Child', 'Young Teen', 'Mature Teen' etc. and attachments (including pictures) can be blocked from being included with Emails they get. Are there ways to do this on a Broadband connection?

I've heard of software like 'Net Nanny' that can help limit surfing to approved sites, Do they work? Any recommendations?

On the subject of Email, can that be filtered too? I'd hate to think of little kids getting some of the emails that get sent to me.

Bill
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/11/03 10:09 PM
I use ZoneAlarm, a free download from ZoneLabs. It permits you to select which applications on your computer have access to the web, as well as monitor, approve, or disallow any attempts to access your computer from outside.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/appli...ink.home&&zl_catalog_view_id=201

Ed
Posted By: sanUK Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/11/03 10:11 PM
1.) It seems that many people have cable modems nowadays. Is there some type of software deemed necessary for security purposes? What do you use or recommend?

If your using WinXP it has a built in Firewall (Ive used it since ive had XP) Another good one is Zonealarm and its free [Linked Image]

On the subject of Email, can that be filtered too? I'd hate to think of little kids getting some of the emails that get sent to me.

An Excellent programme Mailwasher Again free, you can Block,Blacklist annoying emails before you download them.

Never used any content blocking software so cant help there.

Adaware is a handy little program to get rid of unwanted cookies/spyware which again is free.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/11/03 10:55 PM
I use Norton Internet Security. It is a firewall as well as an ad blocker. All banner ads on web sites just disapear. Also it stops most pop up ads.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/11/03 11:42 PM
Norton Antivirus 2001, Zone Alarm 3.7.143, and Ad-aware 6.0 build 162. Occaisonally use Spybot Search and Destroy for those things that Adaware misses.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 01:46 AM
Anyone have any children that use the computer unattended?

Do you use any software to help keep them away from the Bad stuff?

Bill
Posted By: txsparky Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 03:24 AM
On the Internet Explorer browser toolbar,you could click on Tools, Internet Options,Content tab,Enable Content advisor,and choose the settings you desire for each of 4 categories - Language, Nudity, Sex, and Violence.
Is this what your looking for ?
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 03:51 AM
Zonealarm is a great firewall, and best of all the basic package is free.

If you want to test the security of your system and get some excellent advise on this topic a great site to visit is: http://grc.com

It might seem a little difficult to navigate this site but the time spent is well worth all the valuable info to be found here.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by bigrockk (edited 04-11-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 04:43 AM
Donnie,

Thanks, that's a possibility. I sort of knew something was there but never really looked at it. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of websites that have recognizable ratings though. I'd have to manually approve Nickelodeon.com because they have not chosen to be rated by the agencies whose approval is recognized by the Browser.

I'm thinking that some 3rd party software may be the way to go if they take the initiative to go out and rate common sites themselves to compile approval lists.

Bill
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 03:16 PM
Bill,
I think you will find this link useful.
http://www.tispa.org/info/kinnaman/filtering.htm
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/12/03 04:25 PM
bigrockk,

Great Link!
Lots of info to digest there.

Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/14/03 02:04 PM
Bill:
When I had my DSL at home, I used a product from BSafeOnline. 60 bucks a year, firewall, filtering with AI, and nearly invisible. The only time you knew it was there was when some popup got filtered, and it let you know. http://www.bsafehome.com/

It filters the stuff at their computers, netnanny and the others only block once it's in your computer.

I have had very little problem with this provider.

TW
Posted By: Electric-Ian Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/15/03 08:41 PM
Bill (and others inquiring):

A great filtering package that is pretty robust is called RI Filter and it can be found at:
http://www.rifilter.com/

For firewall software, I recommend Black Ice Defender.
http://www.black-ice-firewall.com/

Hope this helps!!!

Ian
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/15/03 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone!

Lots to look at now.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Joe Carpenter Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/22/03 01:38 AM
Ditto to trainwire. I currently have bsafe online and it works great
Posted By: CRW Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/22/03 03:33 AM
Another ditto, we just started using Bsafe. Seems good so far. It's scary what can show up when a kid (or anyone) is surfing. A little inconvenience is a small price for the protection I want to give my kids. Often kids get links sent to them from school-mates too. The combination of software and good parental/child communication is the key.
Posted By: JCooper Re: Firewall and Filtering Software - 04/22/03 01:41 PM
For home use I have been using a Linksys firewall/router to connect my PC's and I have not had any issues in the last two years. I have tried the Norton and Mcafee products but a lot of the time it was more of a pain than it helped. One of the best ways to firewall yourself is to use a NAT router, what it does is takes your routable IP address, provided by your ISP, and connects a private network out to the internet via the single IP. Works great if you have two or more PC's. If you have an old PC laying around you could also use Coyote Linux, it runs off a floppy and it will run nicely on a 486, more info here http://www.coyotelinux.com I am currently building new firewalls for the company I work for now, I am a network administrator, if anybody has any questions feel free to e-mail me jcooper@rccsupport.com

Jim
© ECN Electrical Forums