ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 01:29 AM
As a companion to the Resolution thread;

What type of Internet Connection do you have, or usually come here with?
Dialup? 28.8 56k Cable Modem etc?

I figure that at some point we can be less concerned about page loading times, which is affected by picture size and resolutions etc. But I think that many people are still on dialup connections.

Bill
Posted By: golf junkie Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 01:35 AM
Cable modem here. Once you've gone broadband, you'll never go back! [Linked Image]

GJ
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 01:47 AM
Cable Modem at home, which is where I surf the most. I do have dial up 56k at the shop just for emergency info. Cable or DSl is the only way to go and I agree, once you try broadband, you'll never go back.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:02 AM
Bill,
I've got dial-up 56k, here.
Broadband is way too expensive to have at home, over here, it's cost limits it to commercial use. [Linked Image]
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:07 AM
Bill:
I've had cable modem at my house for about 2 years now. Dial up service was just way too slow.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:17 AM
DSL here. Had it about 2 years, and am quite happy with it. The connection is shared with 2 other computers via a router/firewall, with no noticeable speed loss.
Posted By: classicsat Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:18 AM
Dial-up here. I wish I could get DSL, but the way I use the internet, the current
financial situation here, and the fact that the DSL provider available to me has only a full rate DSL plan, basically calculates as no DSL. If they had a DSL lite plan, I'd jump right at it.
Posted By: caselec Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:38 AM
I have had cable modem access for about 4 years and can't imagine what it would be like to go back to dial up.

Curt
Posted By: jb Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:40 AM
DSL - 2 years and loving it [Linked Image]
Posted By: bigrockk Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:51 AM
Cable modem here for the last 4 years. Love all that bandwidth!!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 02:58 AM
4 years of DSL and very consistent—after an initial 7 months of hell.

[It's strange getting 1200/109kb/s on the same 15,000 feet that would not get 33.6k on dialtone.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-10-2003).]
Posted By: Scotts Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 03:04 AM
Have to agree with all that has been said. CABLE MODEM. It is $30 a month. Subtract the cost of a dial up of $21 per month the cost of an additional $9 per month is well worth it.

Scott
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 03:36 AM
Dial-up at 28.8Kbps (usually at a realistic 26,400 bps)

I saw 33,600 bps once... musta been a really good day...

Considering the two-way sattelite receiver...

No other broad-band options exist here in the sticks.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-09-2003).]
Posted By: rhagfo Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 03:37 AM
DSL for over 2 years, seems almost as fast as the 100 Mbps/T1 connection I have at work. Hate being on the road and having to use dial-up, it is tough to get close to 56K in a hotel, most of the time it's about 33K to 49K.
Posted By: Nick Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 04:00 AM
I got a cable modem last November. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
i have both cablemodem and dail up but the dsl is super fast and more cleaner and dont have to wait for long down loading myself and my wife have 2 computers at home and we alway compare both and we like cable modem alot better than dail up and dail up feel like forever to get it he he he ( to log in it take me about 2 to 4 depend on dail up.cable modem it take less than 45 sec for whole work come up !!)

merci marc
Posted By: txsparky Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 04:55 AM
DSL and boy do I love it [Linked Image]
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 06:14 AM
Cable here road runner, $30 a month man i wish i pay $48 but i love it
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 08:53 AM
Cable. Cost nearly $60 here, but when we were still on 56k we paid easiliy twice as much, we got per minute fees here, no basic per month charge, only online time.
Posted By: walrus Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 09:48 AM
Just installed a dedicated KU band dish for downloads and dialup for uploads. Cheaper than DIRECTWAY satelite which can go both ways. KU is ok(400 to 500kbs) which far exceeds my dial up and you hardly up load anything when surfing. When you live in the weeds Cable is a no go as is DSL. Having 3 satelite dishes is a little much though [Linked Image]

Go here if interested www.Cband.net
Cable modem. Hey frenchie are both computers connected to the cable?
Posted By: rowdyrudy Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 12:48 PM
Direcway 2 way satellite.
Rowdy
Posted By: George Corron Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 01:00 PM
OK, I'll ring in to this one. Dial up here, but I have seriously considered the satellite since I already have direct TV.

But I only pay $9 a month.
Posted By: caselec Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 03:19 PM
Escott,

Are you trying to figure out how to use your cable modem with more than 1 computer? If so all you need is a simple cable/DSL router. If you need help send me an email.

Curt
Posted By: C-H Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 03:34 PM
10MB LAN.
Posted By: Scotts Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 04:27 PM
<threadjack>

I just read Dale Earnhardt Jr's book. He has his own T1 line going to his house. Now that must be fast.

Scott
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 04:43 PM
DSL
Posted By: George Corron Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 05:03 PM
One more time....... I had a T1 at the Pentagon, and Yup, it was danged tough to come home to my dial up, but I don't think it's a lot faster than DSL.
Posted By: JCooper Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 05:11 PM
Good afternoon all,
I have a T-1 at work and a cable modem at home, shared with 4 other PC's
Posted By: j a harrison Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 06:48 PM
T1 at work (very fast)

and a boring 56K dialup at home, going DSL within the next month.

John H
Posted By: Bjarney Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 06:54 PM
Remember when 9600 baud was blazing?
Posted By: Sandro Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 07:03 PM
Bjarney...

I still have a 2400 Baud modem sitting in my closet.

Think this relic will be worth anything in the future?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 08:04 PM
Sandro, if you fill it with epoxy and cut it into a wedge—it makes a mediocre door stop.
Posted By: iwire Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 09:30 PM
I am in the minority here, I can get DSL or Cable but I am still on dial up at 50 to 53 kbps. I think cable will cost me about $40.00 more then dial up.

Get to check out T1 at work and it kills me when I go back to dial up.

But my wife is starting to miss the use of the phone so that's a good excuse to get cable.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 09:34 PM
Mine is a DSL here at home. The DLS is shared with 3 other computers in the house. At work I'm on a LAN with about 100+ plus additional computers. The LAN conncects with the outside world by a T1.
don
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 11:12 PM
Oh well....
I'm in the stone age I guess...
56K modem, running at 48.17 right now...
Cable may be coming.
John
Posted By: Crowbar Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 11:29 PM
56K dialup still, Comcast still wants too much for cable.
Posted By: Gwz Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 11:31 PM
Dial up at 56K, but very lucky to get that high regularly.

Too far from the telephone substation to get greater service and no cable near.

Glenn
Posted By: jbfan Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/10/03 11:32 PM
Cable here for about 2 plus years. I used to have an extra phone line and my dial up cost about 35 a month then, basic cable package and internet cost 50. Right now the modem cost 10 per month and 15 for internet.
...don't think I could ever go back to dial up
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 12:15 AM
My connection on a good day, when I say to myself "Oh, Cool!" after it "handshakes"...

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]
Virgil, do you have to put the handset from your phone on your modem? [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 01:53 AM
I think it's more like the telco needs to rewax the string between the cans!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from aerocomm.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-10-2003).]
Posted By: nesparky Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 05:43 AM
dial up here Pone co does not have DSL availble and cable co want way too much $$$
Posted By: iwire Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 08:11 AM
Virgil, I am gussing you do not down load many MP3s on that connection. [Linked Image]

Maybe a compoter guy can help out here, but on one of my puters the port speed was set to low limiting the connection speed.

Bob
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 09:40 AM
My first internbet connection was 14.4k dial-up, and I actually downloaded MP3s via Napster! When I got 56k connection speed went up to 40000 and something, but the actual download speed was still around 5 kb/sec.
In my old PowerBook I've got a built-in 9600k modem, never got it working though, since I upgraded to System 7.6 the TelePort software denies my machine being a PowerBook. [Linked Image]
Cable is shared by 3 Macs, via a software router. Think about buying a hardware router though, then we don't need to have one machine running all the time.
Maybe I even get an acoustic coupler for my museum. 300bps max connection speed, not kbps!
Posted By: pauluk Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 09:56 AM
Oh dear.... I remember the days when 1200 bps was considered very respectable and 2400 was fast! [Linked Image]

I'm on dial-up at the moment, about 5 miles from the CO, and can usually connect at about 44k.
Posted By: rat4spd Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 06:37 PM
Cable, with a solid 2MBPS
Posted By: George Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 09:23 PM
We have DSL.

Equally important is how fast your processor is.

On our new computers ADM 2200+ all sites display fast.

On my notebook Pentium 150 all sites download fast but some take a while to display.

This site displays fast on the slower computer.
Posted By: walrus Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 10:58 PM
Sparky66
You must be living in a metropolis to get on at 28000, the best I ever get is 26400 and sometimes less. Rural life is great, ain't it? [Linked Image] You post alot of pictures, do you go fix dinner or something why you wait for them to download [Linked Image]
Posted By: sanUK Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/11/03 11:33 PM
56K at the mo,connect @ 40ish but i recently heard that my area will be ADSL enabled in June [Linked Image], at last ill be able to enjoy online gaming without lagging out all the time.
Posted By: electure Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/12/03 02:06 PM
I'm just outside the reach of DSL service.
My 56K connects @ 40-44. I'm looking into Cable.
My old "rural" connection was 14.4 at its finest, and displayed "connecting at high speed" at its normal speed. It was like watching the grass grow.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/13/03 03:41 AM
56k dial up for my laptop. I can use it in the office, out on the road or at home.

If I am going to be in the office for any lenght of time I will use the shared PC with the 17" screen and full size keybord and mouse.

One other advantage to the dial up is I can go check my personal email account at lunch or coffee and Management has no record on their server.
Posted By: Zapped Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/13/03 04:05 PM
Cable @ 1500KPS. Only way to go...three times as fast as my friends with DSL, and leaves dial-up in the stone age...
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/14/03 01:01 PM
Cable modem at home. T1 at work. I have the need for speed.
Blessings, Mark
Posted By: Trainwire Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/14/03 01:09 PM
DSL at work,

Had DSL at home, got it originally because my wife was hired to work at home by a company that laid her off within 2 months. I managed to drag my feet for 6 months before the budget demanded that it get disconnected [Linked Image]

Now I am left with dial up at home, so I don't do much surfing at home.

DSL at work. does ok most of the time.

TW
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/14/03 01:51 PM
Virgil, at least the prayer line cooks at a faster rate! [Linked Image]

I've had DSL at home for over a year now but thoroughly enjoy T1 & T3 service at work.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 04-14-2003).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What type of Internet Connection? - 04/14/03 03:00 PM
I use the Verizon Sierra AirCard 555 wireless network card.

Once I am connected, I can connect to the internet and send and receive e-mail.

I can be on 24/7 if I want. I am using the connection right now.

Just left New Haven, Connecticut Amtrak Station -- on the way to North New Brunswick, New Jersey!
© ECN Electrical Forums