ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 02:58 AM
When doing EMT work, which do you guys prefer and why?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 03:04 AM
stranded, easier pull.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 03:23 AM
The Electric Eagle has landed again. I like solid for making joints, and terminating on devices. I like stranded for pulling through conduit. If I had to choose between the two, I would use stranded. Many times specs call for solid. When I have the choice, I use stranded.

Stranded on an island,
Doc
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 03:45 AM
I like solid because if you're working by yourself you can push it quite a distance through conduit from j-box to j-box without help. Russell
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 04:37 AM
my choice is straned for long runs for short run it can be both solid or stranded depend on what i have to termated it .majorty of my work is straned but only one disavange is when i pull too fast it can kink up if i am not carefull other wise it is easier to bend it fast than solid and the cost for each one is not much only few cents diffrence between both . ( dont ask me why )

merci marc
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 06:21 AM
14 Solid
12 Strandid

Solid is a bit cheaper.

12 solid does terminate faster. Maybe I should try 12 strandid in the pipes and solid pigtails.

Anyone ever try those wirenuts with the premade pigtails?

Tom
Posted By: rhagfo Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 07:00 AM
I think Active 1 should get the "Best of Both" award. If I had to do it every day I would pull stranded and pigtail solid
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 11:10 AM
Solid, 14& 12, and sometimes #10.
Posted By: GEO Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 01:41 PM
SOLID only for me when have a choice, had to pull some controls in freezer had to be stranded pulling off 15 spools at a time to get to 90. GEO
Posted By: Len_B Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/20/03 10:54 PM
Solid may be ok for residential, but for durability stranded is the only way to go. I won't allow solid in a manufacturing plant except perhaps BX for lighting in drop ceilings.
Len
Posted By: GEO Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/21/03 01:50 PM
did not know bx was stranded, as i everyone has an opinion,and what is required? or what works the best for them is what you use, opinion are nice , then there is reality,guess i have been doing this to long, enough said! GEO
Posted By: Elec_VA Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/22/03 03:26 AM
I hate stranded!!! [Linked Image]

It annoys me! You can't strip it well with Kleins, it sucks to terminate (small gauge stranded in a lug blows), and making a hook in stranded for a switch or plug, especially if you have to work hot, is evil! I despise making a light tail with stranded. It doesn’t twist up nicely at all. 2 or 3 #10 or #12 solid twist up real nice.

Len_B: I have never worked with stranded DX or MC (at least in the #10-#12 range). I assume you are not talking about an 8-2 MC, or something along those lines. Who do you get it from? Haven’t seen it here (about 8 hours down the coast).

GEO: Never heard if one or the other is required. I think some of it comes down to preference (not the NEC or AHJ), and some comes down to physics. Imagine a 4/0 solid piece of copper. That would suck! In a smaller size I don’t really think it matters much. A #12 THHN Stranded is no different in code than a #12 THHN solid (at least that I have found),
Posted By: iwire Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/22/03 11:25 AM
Here in MA we use the "MEC" amended NEC.

One of the amendments has to do with terminating stranded conductors.

110.14(A) Delete the last sentence of the first paragraph and insert the following two sentences in it's place

Connection by means of wire binding screws or studs and nuts having upturned lugs or equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller solid conductors. Where stranded conductors are terminated on and not looped through such terminals, the terminals shall be identified for such use or the strands at the terminals shall be made solid.

We use specification grade devices with pressure plate type terminals to meet this code.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-22-2003).]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/22/03 12:31 PM
Personally prefer solid up to size 10. Makes easier splices and terminations.
In a cold storage warehouse or any place with a lot of vibration I use stranded and lugs for terminations. Have had to repair too many broken solid wires in LBs and simular fittings with in areas of vibration and cold storage.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 03-23-2003).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/22/03 07:44 PM
Bob,
The UL white book says that all of the terminals on receptacles are suitable for use with solid or stranded wire. How is the MA amendment applied?
From UL guide RTRT.
Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back wired clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building wires.
Don
Posted By: iwire Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/22/03 08:42 PM
Don,

That is interesting as we have always been told that if we wrap stranded around a screw it is wrong.

I wonder why they would bother with the change if all devices are identified for such use.

Now I will be on a mission when I see my next MA inspector to ask him this.

It will not make a difference for us as we use the other type of devices, but now I want to know the real answer.

Bob

Edit, I will go back a few years and see if "identified for such use" was added.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-22-2003).]
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/23/03 05:07 AM
We use all stranded at our shop, except to wrap the ground screws in the boxes. Stranded is easier to pull, easier to feed, and the wire doesn't get nicked going in the pipe like solid sometimes does. The price difference isn't too much and the labor savings makes up the difference anyways.

Although, there have been a few times when I wished I had solid wire when I was pushing shorter runs box to box. I just went to the truck, got out the fishtape, and tied them on. Would be nice to have the best of both worlds though.
Posted By: Fred Re: Stranded or Solid? - 03/23/03 05:23 PM
To make terminating stranded wire on binding screw terminals easier, strip the end and re-twist the strands counter-clockwise(backwards). When you bend it in a hook around the screw and tighten the screw it draws the left handed twist tighter and you don't have stray strands spreading out.
© ECN Electrical Forums