ECN Forum
Posted By: gramps HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 08:05 PM
Hillbilly Medical Terms

Benign.............What you be after you be eight.
Bacteria...........Back door to cafeteria.
Barium.............What doctors do when patients die.
Cesarean Section....A neighborhood in Rome.
Catscan..........Searching for Kitty.
Cauterize........Made eye contact with her.
Colic............A sheep dog.
Coma.............A punctuation mark.
D&C..............Where Washington is.
Dilate...........To live long.
Enema............Not a friend.
Fester...........Quicker than someone else.
Fibula...........A small lie.
G.I.Series.......World Series of military baseball.
Hangnail.........What you hang your coat on.
Impotent..........Distinguished, well known.
Labor Pain........Getting hurt at work.
Medical Staff.....A Doctor's cane.
Morbid............A higher offer than I bid.
Nitrates...........Cheaper than day rates.
Node...............I knew it.
Outpatient.........A person who has fainted.
Pap Smear............A fatherhood test.
Pelvis...............Second cousin to Elvis.
Post Operative............A letter carrier.
Recovery Room........Place to do upholstery.
Rectum.................Darn near killed him.
Secretion.................Hiding something.
Seizure...................Roman emperor.
Tablet....................A small table.
Terminal Illness..........Getting sick at the airport.
Tumor.....................More than one.
Urine.....................Opposite of mine.
Varicose..................Near by/close by.

[Linked Image]

gramps
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 10:07 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 03-13-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 10:38 PM
Fester...........Quicker than someone else.

This one makes even more sense when it's said with a thick German/Yiddish/Russian accent.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 10:42 PM
Enema............Not a friend.

Not a truer word spoken!

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-13-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 10:48 PM
I guess we hillbillies are the only "minority" that can still take a joke.I still use terms that I learned from my parents and grandparents. "Shortly" means within the next hour or 2. "Dreckly" which means the same as directly,could mean 2hours or 2 weeks depending on who said it.A "right smart bit" or "right smart" means a lot. "I'll be dogged" means surprised or annoyed. "Get shut of" means to get rid of or sell. Btw to clear up a misconception any self respectin' southerner would never use the word "Ya'll unless they were talking about more than one person. My Grandfather used the phrase "I guyeah" which means the same thing as "I think". Russell (A Hillbilly all my life)
Posted By: gramps Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/13/03 11:35 PM
me too, russell!.. [Linked Image]...how about this one? when we meet somebody from back home, we ask "how's mama-nim"?

[Linked Image]
gramps
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 12:09 AM
Gramps,did you ever get "whupped with a peachtree limb"? Or go the "eye doctor" or the "tooth dentist"? I bet you and I could carry on a conversation and the rest of the guys wouldn't have a clue as to what we were saying. But it would all be in English. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gramps Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 12:46 AM
"am i gonna have to go out back and cut me a switch? you better straighten yoresef up, or i'll tell yore daddy, wen he gits home!!"

i heard that much , much too often!!

[Linked Image]

gramps
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 01:27 AM
How about the following:
"GOOD NIGHT!" which means "Gosh!"
"I'm fixin' to go to the store" which means I'm going to the store.
"bowa" which means boy.
"hee-ah" which means here. As in, "Come hee-ah bowa."
"hyeah" which also means here. This version is a bit more dignified than the "hee-ah" version.
"I te' you what!", or "Boy le' me tell ya" is a way of letting someone know that you mean what you are saying.
"yonder" which means "over there"

Y'all come back now, Ya hee-ah,
Doc
Posted By: zapped208 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 01:53 AM
Glad i'm a Damn Yankee!
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 02:10 AM
Doc, "heeah" and "Bowa" are more of a south Ga. brogue, no self respectin' mountain man would talk like a "flatlander". "Fixin to" I use that phrase all the time. My Uncle used a varation of "yonder" "Over yanner" My mother once lived in a "Holler where you couldn't see no place but straight up" A far distance to my Grandad was "A fur piece". A short distance was "a little piece down the road". Russell
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 10:55 AM
Granny Georgia would say "and pick up a mess of sweet pawtayta".........
How many pawtaytas is a "mess"?

Tiff
Posted By: Trainwire Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 01:59 PM
Around here if something is "all", it means that there isn't any more. "That candy is all" means that the kids got to it first. [Linked Image]. Then there's "outen the lights",

TW
Posted By: classicsat Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 03:58 PM
The saying here, when somebodey has the last of something, such as a bottle or case of soda pop, the old may, irate because there is none for him, would exclaim "who drank
all the pop". I think I am weaning him from that.

There there is the Foxworthy classic; You'uns, which is Y'all plus three.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 04:07 PM
Ah reckin a "mess" is a "mass" of sweet potato...as in a whole load of 'em.

- Jeet yet?

- Nope

- Yump-too?

- Ah-ight...

And the classic:

- Can you dance?

- Well...I used-ta-could. Gimmie a chance, I might-a-could ag'in.

Jeff Foxworthy rocks!! I own three of his tapes!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: gramps Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/14/03 05:05 PM
"ah wooda kilt 'im, but i's afeared he'd kill me back!"
Posted By: Scott35 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 03:05 AM
Very funny!

Need to add some of these to my E-mail Sig File!!!

Scott35 S.E.T.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 04:51 AM
On a more serious note,the people who speak this way (not too many left) are proud mountain people,mostly from the southern Appalachians. They would make fun of your New York,Boston,or California accent.Our local "language" is what makes us different. The "Hillbilly" show due to be on tv soon will no doubt add to the perception that we are not too bright. Thats OK,Me N gramps know the truth. [Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 05:03 AM
not only i heard the southern accents there and i have hevey french accent with me with very small accent in southern type but i do agree with ya ga.spark56 few peoples try to make a fun with me too cuz i am not " 100%" amercian in fact i am 100% french but my heart is both usa and france and i can see both side of it and yeah i did live in alamabe for 3 years so i know how thieir accent sound like

merci marc
Posted By: pauluk Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 10:48 AM
I love the southern accents. Back in '93 I spent a fair while traveling around NC, SC, GA, and AL.

I still recall the comment of a 13-year-old girl upon hearing my accent and asking where I was from. "AAahhh knew you wasn't from Georgia -- You talk funny!" [Linked Image]

Gramps & Ga.Sparky (and all other southerners),
You might like to remember the following any time people complain about the way you talk.

I understand that many linguists believe that the English spoken in the southern states most closely resembles that spoken in England several centuries ago, in terms of overall accent and pronunciation.
Posted By: iwire Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 11:47 AM
ga.sparky56, anyone that thinks a local accent makes people not to "bright" is just showing there own short comings

I live 30 minutes out of Boston, MA and never really notice the local accent.

Then I saw an episode of "Cops" from Boston, the accent was worse then any faked Hollywood version I have heard, but it was real.

A "Simpson's" episode with a family that must have been the Kennedy's has a great time with this accent, and I must sound that way too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jbfan Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 12:21 PM
When My father was station in Germany during my high school days, you should have seen the looks I got trying to speak german with a georgia accent. I reckon I will just keep my accent and let people know where I'm from.
Keith in Georgia!!!
Posted By: Scott35 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 01:44 PM
I just thought the terms applied to the definitions were funny - regardless of where they are supposed to be from!

I like the way words can be metaphorically used, and how it ends up being humorous!

Example: One part of my E-mail message Sigfile has "Definitions" for words (just for a funny thing to place in the Sigfile, used for positive ID).
Definition for the word "Control" = (Con + Troll), n. A Small Prisioner Living Under A Bridge.

The wordage is just a silly way to describe Control, not an offensive slurr towards anyone!
This is what I was getting at in the reply!

The definitions for Barium, C section, Dilate, Hangnail, Labor Pain, Nitrates, Tablet and Terminal Illness would be the ones I want to add to the Sigfile (hope to make it select 3 random definitions each time a message is created).

Scott35 s.e.t.
Posted By: gramps Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 02:08 PM
my background is Appalachian (w.va.),west texas (odessa),louisiana cajun (evangeline parish), arkansas (bald knob), alabama (sylacauga), ireland, and germany! [Linked Image]....thats quite a selection i can choose from!... [Linked Image]

when i first moved to ohio, the natives here all thought i must be from kentucky, because of the way i talked!... [Linked Image] lol!... what do they know?

"a country boy can survive"

gramps
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 02:46 PM
Scott,years ago in my Hot Rodding youth. I frequently ordered parts from a company in L.A. It was a small speed shop and I talked to the owner a lot,asking for advice. He would jokingly tell me to "speak English" and my comeback was to speak with an English accent. And on a trip to New England I got more than one waitress flustered by asking for grits or sweet tea.Yes, words and the people who use them are funny! [Linked Image]
Posted By: gramps Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 04:01 PM
several years ago, i was with an industrial contractor, installing some MCC panels in a factory in northern wisconsin, near the canadian border. my first morning there, we went to a little cafe for breakfast, and i ordered a bowl of grits with my eggs. the owner told me "i dont have any idea what that is, but if you'll get some for me, i'll dang sure cook them for you!"....i got my brother in alabama, to send me some. i took the 2 boxes of grits i received in the mail, to the cafe owner....and he fixed them for me, and a few other customers, until he ran out!...he actually ordered some more from his wholesaler, and added "grits" to his menu!!!... [Linked Image]

gramps

[This message has been edited by gramps (edited 03-15-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 04:19 PM
Gramps, I tried Grits when I was "Down South" (Virginia Beach, that's south for me I am sure that is North for most of you). [Linked Image]

All I will say is they must be an acquired taste. [Linked Image]

But the Crab omelets I could get where something I wish I could get up here.
Posted By: Scotts Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/15/03 04:57 PM
There is nothing like biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

I wish we had a Hardee's out here in CA.
Scott
Posted By: RR Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 03/18/03 10:44 PM
I lived in Georgia for 21 years before I moved to California a year ago due to my wife's graduate school. I miss the hospitality, trees, sweet tea, Chick-Fil-A, North Georgia Mountains, etc.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/07/05 03:09 AM
Bump. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electricman2 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/07/05 05:12 PM
I wish we had a Hardee's out here in CA.
Scott
You mean there's not? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/07/05 05:37 PM
asphalt - A rectal disorder....
Posted By: NORCAL Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/08/05 01:09 AM
Hardees in CA? Ever tried their version of the Carl's Jr menu? It's nasty, and yes I know they have the same ownership.
Posted By: Norstarr Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/08/05 05:01 AM
Reply from wisconsin. EH?
Loved the posts. Code gets boring after awhile although a lot of this talk seems to be code.
Modern terms:

Fat free means they don't charge you for the fat.

Low fat means it hangs below the beltline.

Keep it up fellas, was a nice break.
Ron
Posted By: e57 Re: HILLBILLY MEDICAL TERMS - 01/08/05 07:42 AM
"I live 30 minutes out of Boston, MA and never really notice the local accent." - iwire

I know that was an old post....
But leave the Boston area for a while, then go back, you'll notice it! Even within Boston itself I can detect differences between natives of certain areas. (N. End, C-Town, S. Boston, E. Boston, Medford, Revere, and Somerville.) I sometimes them spot them out here in CA, sometimes clear across a crowded room. When I first came out to CA, I don't know how many times I was accused of being Irish, or Scottish, until I started to loose my accent. (Which in retrospect sounded like a low frequency James Cagney.)
© ECN Electrical Forums