ECN Forum
Posted By: tsolanto ENT - 02/20/03 12:01 PM
Is it leagal to use ENT undergroung if it is only used as a sleeve.

I know its against code to bury it, but does'nt only that apply if its a raceway system.

Lets say the underground wiring is XLP-USE direct burial. Using this cable we need no conduit.
Posted By: WNYJim Re: ENT - 02/20/03 10:21 PM
Why would you want to use EMT underground?
After a few years (maybe months depending on soil conditions) it will start to rust and there will be sharp edges around the cable just waiting to cut into it.
How about using some PVC instead?
Posted By: iwire Re: ENT - 02/20/03 10:27 PM
ENT (Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing), not EMT
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: ENT - 02/21/03 12:43 AM
See 362.10 for "Uses Permitted" and see the following:

(6) Encased in poured concrete, or embedded in a concrete slab on grade where ENT is placed on sand or approved screenings, provided fittings identified for this purpose are used for connections.

(7) For wet locations indoors as permitted in this section or in a concrete slab on or below grade, with fittings listed for the purpose.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-20-2003).]
Posted By: Elzappr Re: ENT - 02/21/03 01:12 AM
Its not being used as a raceway, its just another type of "fill dirt" eh? I suppose someone could use any sort of non-metallic pipe to act as a sleeve.

Trouble is, how would anyone who dug this up know that it was electrical? It might just look like some burried trash.

300.5 talks about backfill materials and also: "protection shall be provided in the form of..suitable running boards, suitable sleeves, or other approved means." This sounds like approval is needed by your AHJ. Though using plastic conduit would appear to be a suitable "sleeve", it might just pose a hazard for those who don't realize there is live wiring in it...but then again, any "running boards" would be just as misleading. The code doesn't stipulate warning ribbons above underground branch circuits -- just service conductors(300.5(D)(3)). If its residential, and not burried deeper than 12 inches (assuming ,120V and gfci protected), then warning ribbon wouldn't be located above the wiring shallow enough to suitably warn any inadvertant digging up of the wiring. So warning ribbon wouldn't do more than serve as a way to identify the burried "sleeve and wiring" as a potential hazard. I don't think I would be comfortable in calling that shot if I was the AHJ.
© ECN Electrical Forums