ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 accidents - 02/03/03 11:56 PM
Saw a guy almost lose his eye today(nail gun). No safety glasses.For iwire, Joe and all the safety gurus, thanks for keeping us alert and aware of safety.
Posted By: rpny11080 Re: accidents - 02/04/03 01:34 AM
My uncle recently got a nail in his eye from a nail gun because he wasn't wearing safety glasses. He had to go to the emergency room. Just goes to show you, there's nothing more important than safety.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: accidents - 02/04/03 03:15 AM
The US Navy has a great safety site.

Here are two "Photos of the Week" to start you off:
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/photo47.htm

(Note: The link below contains an X-Ray image from a nail-gun injury.) http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/photo5.htm
Posted By: Trumpy Re: accidents - 02/05/03 03:03 AM
How thick can you get?!.
To use a tool, as dangerous as a nail-gun, without safety glasses on. [Linked Image]
These tools have safety warnings on thier
bodies, for a reason.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-04-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: accidents - 02/05/03 02:48 PM
Some people need to walk around with warnings on their bodies...
Posted By: JCooper Re: accidents - 02/05/03 08:08 PM
After those pics I am glad that I pay about $100 extra for shatterproof, or so I am told, lenses in my glasses, all I have to do is put on the side shields and I think they are ANSI approved
Posted By: Bjarney Re: accidents - 02/06/03 05:41 AM
Safety glasses are great for protection from projectiles--well, most of 'em...
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/photo3.htm
Posted By: txsparky Re: accidents - 02/06/03 07:38 AM
We all need to be aware of safety and doublecheck for voltage,enforce LOTO,and wear PPEwhen required.
Read this man's story

Little Did I Know

I have been working with electricity for over 25 years. I have been shocked on numerous occasions by low voltage. I knew I would never get hit by big voltage. I was TOO EXPEERIENED- “Little Did I Know”

I have been working on this type of 4,160-volt switchgear for over 8 years. I knew the safety latch would not fail. It never had in the past. - “Little Did I Know”

The procedures I was working by were ok with me. I had did it this way before, and it was safe. - “Little Did I know”

My safety glasses with side-shields, and my nomex uniform I was wearing was a big inconvenience. Just something OSHA required. - “Little Did I Know”

I thought first aid and rescue teams were just a paper work requirement. It wouldn’t ever be used on me. - “Little Did I Know”

I had always heard at work that we were like one “big family” working together. I believed some felt that way and others didn’t. – “Little Did I Know”

I always felt that one day my wife would get the worst news about me. That’s just part of life. Besides, I wouldn’t be around to see her grieving. – “Little Did I Know”

A couple of days after coming home from the Burn Center, I was talking on the phone with my mother who lives in Florida. She is 82 years old and has Alzheimer’s. She also lives in a nursing home. She told me that after my sister told her about my burns that she cried all night knowing the pain I was in. Knowing that she has Alzheimer’s I was afraid she couldn’t comprehend or express a lot of emotions. – “Little Did I Know”

I have four grandkids, one of who is only 7 weeks old. It never occurred to me that I might take chances that would not let me watch them grow up. – “Little Did I Know”

I knew God preformed miracles. After spending 13 months in Vietnam and as the years passed by, my faith in God and in miracles was at it’s low. – “Little Did I Know”

I have a twin brother. Now that I have no hair and no mustache, my wife says that I really look like my brother. That hurts my feelings because he’s UGLY. – “That I Know”

I will never forget the feeling of awakening and knowing that I was still alive. I Thanked God. Nor will I ever forget seeing the joyous faces of my wife and son at my bedside. I have the chance now to look ahead, the chance to see my wife, my sons, my daughter, my grandkids, my brother, my sisters, my nephews and nieces again. I have the chance of a lifetime. I hope and pray no one ever has to experience these feelings under these conditions.

I thank God.

I thank you.

Be safe and may God Bless All.

Hank (Last Name removed)
Posted By: lwinter31 Re: accidents - 02/06/03 08:17 AM
"Hindsight" shares a great deal of "Insight"

Great Post Don
Posted By: Bjarney Re: accidents - 02/06/03 08:22 PM
Real simple rule above 600V:
[Linked Image from 67.115.161.42]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 02-06-2003).]
Posted By: OSHA Professor Re: accidents - 02/10/03 01:15 AM