ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 alarm wiring - 02/03/03 03:26 AM
In a house we are finishing now, we discovered a wire in one of the recep boxes that the alarm people had put there. Its a 22ga. 2 pair wire. What would be the purpose of this and isn't it a code violation?
Posted By: CTwireman Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 03:31 AM
Most likely it is for the plug-in power supply for the alarm panel.

Yes, this is a code violation. It should be removed.

Peter
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 03:32 AM
GaSparky:
Hopefully, it's a mistake.
Unless the insulation of the 22 ga is rated the same as the other conductors within the box, it's a code violation. Is it a 1 gang box?? What else is in the box?? Sources??
Maybe the alarm guy intends to put the 22 ga on the transformer that he's going to "plug in" your receptacle, and he ran the 22 from the alarm panel, and "hid" it in your box.

John
Posted By: lighthouse Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 03:42 AM
ga.sparky56...i think it for the secondary wiring of the transformer. (that plug into the receptacle.)

they may have put it in there so they can get to it later after the drywall is installed.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 03:49 AM
Hotline, its a 1gang recep box located in a hallway/stairway, it has 2 12/2's in it. Its on a ckt that serves acouple of storage rooms and this stairway/hall. I provided a recep in the waterheater room for their alarm panel. What code section is this in? Ineed ammunition to argue my case because there is no inspection in the county the job is in.thanks for the help. Russell.

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: arseegee Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 04:05 AM
I'm in GA too and they do that crap here! Want to get em, just put a decora style recept there and they want have a way to secure tha x-former! It is a violation but I'm afraid it is common practice around these parts. Let me know what your inspector says.
Posted By: lighthouse Re: alarm wiring - 02/03/03 04:16 AM
ga.sparky56...the only other thing that i can think of what it could be,is the wiring for a central vacuum system .

but you said the alarm guys installed it.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: alarm wiring - 02/04/03 09:49 AM
Upon closer examination, we discovered thathe sheetrocker had caught the alarm wire with his router. Only about 1 inch of the wire is undamaged. Possibility of great wailing and gnashing of teeth by alarm man! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gwz Re: alarm wiring - 02/04/03 12:33 PM
If it Class 2 wiring, it must be installed per 725.52.

If wanting to change to Class 1, the existing Class 2 must be in Chapter 3 wiring method. 250.52(A)Ex2.

There may be other requirements also.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: alarm wiring - 02/04/03 07:51 PM
So, ga.sparky56, it was the sheet rocker after all. C-o-n-s-p-i-r-a-c-y!

Seriously, of what use is such a cable (others mentioned it as coming from the alarm unit's transformer) within the box containing the receptacle? I mean, as mentioned, they wouldn't connect 22AWG conductors directly to the circuit that is feeding the receptacle. (Well, hopefully not.)

arseegee: Do you mean they use the box to "store" their cable until they are ready to use it?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: alarm wiring - 02/04/03 10:38 PM
T.G., this is one of those "unfortunate" things that happen.As my helper said"what wire". Seriously, the sheetrocker did get ahold of it with his router. As for the intended use of the wire, I think lighthouse is correct. My feeling is that the recep I put close to their alarm panel will eliminate the need for it.
Posted By: lighthouse Re: alarm wiring - 02/05/03 04:54 AM
ga.sparky56...one other thing comes to mind.you said the drywall guy got it with his router.but you said you installed an outlet near his panel?.and this is a hallway.two things come to mind with the 4 conductor cable in this area.one is a alarm key pad,and the other is a motion detector.either way the alarm guy is missing a wire.....
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: alarm wiring - 02/05/03 05:15 AM
lighthouse,yes the wire in question was pulled into a box in a hallway. The control panel is in a closet ajacent to the hall. I think that the recep at his control panel was roughed in after he had pulled all his wires. He probably wasn't aware of it. All the other motion detectors in the house were in a corner up next to ceiling.I,m curious to quiz them about it.
© ECN Electrical Forums