ECN Forum
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/02/17 10:46 PM
Today this DIY instruction video was brought to my attention after it made its way through the internet all the way to Germany. It tells US DIYers how easy it is to replace a switch with a new switch or dimmer.

Unfortunately I would say it contains several serious flaws. I am sure you will spot them immediately! The full video is at the bottom of the page.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/pierceaber...er-switch?utm_term=.saq7BllYO#.noDrdVVoJ
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/03/17 02:05 AM
OK, check the mounting screws for voltage??
Use your voltage twister??
Electrical tape as a choice for EGC splicing??

A white and black device combo?? (Only bad taste)

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/03/17 02:11 AM
Better safe than sorry. I've replaced single pole switchesthat were installed as a 3-way so one can guess where the third wire wound up at....
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/03/17 06:46 AM
I can relate, Kevin. Years ago, my mother complained of being shocked in the milk house at my family's dairy farm. Turns out, some farm hands replaced a single pole grounded switch with an ungrounded three-way in a box with a false ground downstream. When the grain room light was off, the rest of the circuit downstream had a hot ground at 120V. Needless to say, I was upset.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/03/17 07:48 PM
And on top of that installing an earth wire from a box with what looks like two NM cables without any visible earth.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/04/17 03:09 PM
The only good advice on that site is the first step.

1. Go to your breaker box and turn off the switch for the light/outlet and the wall switch.

Step 2 should be to call someone who knows what they're doing.
Posted By: Potseal Re: Dangerous DIY Advice - 01/12/17 05:52 PM
The top termination is a little sloppy:

[Linked Image from i68.tinypic.com]

Voltage twister...I hope that was a typo smile
© ECN Electrical Forums