ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 04:08 PM
breaking news
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
My sincere condolences for the families of the shuttle crew. This is a sad day for both them and the US.

we simply did'nt need this again......

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: Scotts Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 04:17 PM
Sparky,

That is exactly what me and my wife were saying. We need something good to happen.

Damn.

Scott
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 04:58 PM
It's amazing how cavalier we have become about pitching a group of people into space.

My prayers are for the families.

TW
Posted By: macwire Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 05:06 PM
We always get cavalier about slinging people into space...until the next accident.

And because of what's involved in launching a rocket, the accidents are ALWAYS fatal. I'll be very shocked in there are any survivors.

MacWire
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 05:41 PM
A tragedy for our nation. This is truly an example of how fragile anything manmade can be,no matter how much safety and technology are built into it. My prayers are also with the families of the astronauts.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 06:01 PM
I do not mean this as a joke, but there is something inherently flawed with having things built by the lowest bidder.

It just doesn't make sense...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 06:03 PM
I can't imagine anybody not looking up to these brave folks we call astronauts. So indeed a sad day when legitimate heroes pass before our eyes. [Linked Image] Although I'm not a religous man my thoughts and prayers go out to their families.
Posted By: C-H Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 07:25 PM
One should keep in mind the the Space Shuttle is the most complex machine ever built and that the stress on any equipment going into or coming back from space is enormous. It is a wonder that only two out of over one hundred flights with the shuttles have failed, and a impressive demonstration of the skills of American engineers and workers.

It will happen again, but this doesn't mean that flights into space should not be undertaken. It will remain a risky undertaking for decades to come, one that attests to the courage of those who pushes the frontier in space.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 02-01-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 08:13 PM
We've an amazing success rate.
This is still the most dangerous mission on Earth. I'm sorry this happened...S
Posted By: sparky Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 10:21 PM
been 1/2 listening all day.

something about a hit on the left wing during takeoff, a tile ?

then something about thier ability to inspect it being limited....

so.....{nasty thought} , they may have thier known re-entry risks?!
Posted By: circuit man Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/01/03 11:17 PM
a very sad day in deed.there seem to be risks involved in anything we do. some a lot more than others. my prayers & condolescences go out to the family.may GOD help them through this terrible tragedy!
Posted By: George Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 01:23 AM
Apollo 1 (?) - 3 die in fire.

Apollo 13 - 3 survive explosion.

People who take risks often die.

Lots of test pilots have died in aircraft.

2 fatal accidents in 113 flights of the shuttle is a bit high for me.

Finally, 7000 people die each day in the US.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 03:08 AM
Went to the drag races today. As I watched the cars go down the track, I thought about the shuttle and crew. I thought about the thrill that must be felt by every driver as they blast down the track. It's a dangerous sport. I watched Erica Enders run down the track. She's a pretty girl. What if something in her car failed, and she had an accident? Would drag racing close down? Not a chance.
I thought about the thrill that be experienced by all who travel in space. Challenger.....Columbia....? Will we continue to go into space? You better know it.
As long as there is an "edge" out there for someone to "walk" on, there will be those who take the risk.
God Bless the families of those lost, and God Bless America.

With much sadness, as well as Hope for the future,
Doc
Posted By: electure Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 03:21 AM
Well said, Watt Doc!!
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 03:35 AM
I haven't watched the news all day but my hubby pulled up the news on the computer and called me in. I had extra kids here today and didn't want to have the scene running again and again across the TV screen so we opted to watch the video once online and talked a little bit about what had happened. I think it still hasn't really sunk in but we'll watch one newscast so we can know how tragic this loss is and what others have done to reach higher and higher goals. The father of one of the astronauts, Laurel Clark, is from our state and gave a statement to one of the stations. My heart goes out to those families and friends, and also the workforce who helped them achieve this mission as they must surely be in shock and grieving, too. May God bless them.
Posted By: iwire Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 12:34 PM
Let's hope they never knew what was happening.

Considering the complexity of a shuttle mission 2 accidents for 113 flights seems pretty amazing to me, no less tragic for the families of those that gave their lives but still a demonstration of our nations abilities, going into orbit and back is no trip to the store.

But I agree with the Watt Doctor these folks knew better then any of us the risks they faced and must have thought it was worth all the danger, very brave indeed.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 04:30 PM
I thought I'd share this poem, penned by a pilot and whose sentiment is shared by every heavenward traveler I've known that expresses their passion and love for flight:

HIGH FLIGHT

by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

This poem was written by a young American, John Gillespie Magee, Jr., who flew with the Royal Canadian Air Force in England at the Start of WW II. He was killed shohrtly after he composed "High Flight."

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things you have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.

Hov'ring there, I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace where never lark, or even eagle flew.

And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
Posted By: rowd Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 04:39 PM
In memory of The Crew of STS 107 Columbia

[This message has been edited by rowd (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted By: txsparky Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/02/03 11:39 PM
My prayers are with the families and friends of all who died.I was driving up Interstate 45 and was approx.50 miles north of Houston and witnessed it.I didn't know what I was seeing and phoned my wife to see if a plane or satellite had been lost.She said there was nothing on the news at that time.About twenty minutes later,I heard on the radio that it was the shuttle.I felt the same gut wrenching sadness that I had when I witnessed the second plane hit the World Trade Center Towers.It is truly a sad time for our nation,as well as the rest of the world,

Donnie
Posted By: Roger Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/03/03 12:42 AM
My condolences and prayers go out to all the families, and friends of this crew. Even with the space programs outstanding record, any loss of life hurts us all.

Roger
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/03/03 02:56 AM
I ad my condolences to the above stated posts. Last I heard was hi temps in the left area, and something about the routing of "wires" thru the left area. Sounds like he was pointing to some wiring that apparently got heat damage?.
Yes, it's a very risky "job" career, or calling, and bless those who take the risk.
John
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Columbia Shuttle presumed lost - 02/03/03 04:57 AM
I agree with Roger,
My heart goes out to all the families that have lost loved ones, from this disaster,
my condolences are with all of them,
especially the families of the Israeli astronaut, who was the first of his kind to ever encounter Space.
Rest In Peace, all of you!
© ECN Electrical Forums