ECN Forum
Posted By: rowdyrudy We Have a Code! - 02/01/03 03:02 PM
Meeting started @ 2:30 P.M. and didn't end until 7:30 P.M. Concessions were made by proponents and opponents. The insurance folks were a great aid as well as FD people. The enabling regulation passed and the modified code becomes effective for permits issued on or after 03/01/2003. There are still a few issues to resolve but I think the groundwork has been established. I especially like some wording added by one of the committee members. "Irregardless of challenged interpretations of this ordinance, common sense shall be the governing factor in all decisions relating to electrical installations for dewlling units".
I love it!
Rowdy
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: We Have a Code! - 02/01/03 03:20 PM
rowdyrudy

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

"Irregardless of challenged interpretations of this ordinance, common sense shall be the governing factor in all decisions relating to electrical installations for dewlling units".

This should become a rule in SECTION 90.1 IN THE NEC!!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: We Have a Code! - 02/01/03 04:23 PM
Rowdy,

Congratulations!

Where can I read up on this "Common Sense" thing?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: bobp Re: We Have a Code! - 02/01/03 06:28 PM
Rowdy,

I don't believe there is such a word as "irregardless".

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: We Have a Code! - 02/01/03 07:55 PM
Please let us know where and if we can read the full report on the adoption of the Code.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-03-2003).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: We Have a Code! - 02/03/03 02:58 AM
Rudy:
Congratulations!!!
Sometimes results are obtained thru hard work.
John
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: We Have a Code! - 02/03/03 07:15 AM
Irregardless is in the www.dictionary.com
However, jackalope is not. Snipe is, though.

Congrats, rowdyrudy.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 02-03-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: We Have a Code! - 02/03/03 11:42 AM
Rowdy,
you rode the beuracratic bull & made good !
congrats!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gwz Re: We Have a Code! - 02/03/03 12:18 PM
Who determines what is ' common sense ' ?

Appears to me that when someone asks " Is it a safe installation ? " when NEC sections are quoted as being violated, that NEC 90.1(A) and 90.1(B) should over-rule the ' common sense ' plea.

Yes, the NEC is not a perfect document, and where the NEC is not clear, then, 'common sense' by knowledgeable 'electrical people' should be sought.

It is my opinion that the NEC is an excellant document.

Glenn
Posted By: bobp Re: We Have a Code! - 02/03/03 06:56 PM
From Merriam-Webster unabrdiged Dictionary;

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Even though they say to use regardless, you are right there is such a word. Mea culpa..

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums