ECN Forum
Posted By: Lostazhell Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 12:22 AM
Huntsville likes em low evidently..

https://goo.gl/maps/WNwzLDUxiDv

https://goo.gl/maps/ZXee31RMA2w

https://goo.gl/maps/xQ2avL2dX9u
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 01:13 AM
Just advancing through the streets on Google Maps in different directions from the ones you have posted, it appears that is a standard configuration for metering their traffic signal controllers.

I thought at first it might just be legacy downtown installs but I saw some the same way when I randomly looked at signalized intersections in the suburban areas.

If that was here in Winnipeg, the snow plows would take the meter out a few times a year when cleaning the snowplow windrows out of the intersections.

Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 03:08 AM
That town is just bizarre to say the least...

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 03:25 AM
This one looks like a fish bowl from the sprinklers likely

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 03:33 AM
Our city has been flat rate for years for traffic signals no meter (or what looks like a disconnect) in sight of a traffic control box.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 04:13 AM
The intersections here are metered, but they use a Midwest pedestal/disconnect most of the time, typically placed in a greenbelt somewhere near the traffic controller.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 05:06 AM
In the Binghamton NY area, the lights have meters at a more reasonable height.

Attached picture yhgg8h.jpg
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/19/15 02:10 PM
What's the point of metering equipment with a constant and predictable consumption? The costs of the equipment, its maintenance, reading and billing must be significant.
As far as I know, in UK street furniture is paid by local authorities just based on a register of installations, though some places monitor switching times of photo-cell controlled lamps.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/20/15 03:28 AM
Could be a local utility requirement that all services be metered. They may never be read but the spirit of the local requirements are met.

talking about constant and predictable usage I have noticed meters on the billboard signs in my city. I wonder if the local utility or the sign company ever takes a reading off it or do they just estimate/flat rate the sign account.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Midget meter reader?? - 10/20/15 05:13 AM
My guess is they are on an annual plan (AKA budget plan) and they just read the meter once a year to adjust the rate.

These are all on borrowed time tho. I am not sure FPL has any analog meters left around here. All I see is the smart meter that calls home constantly. I can get an amazing amount of information about my usage online.
© ECN Electrical Forums