ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Question and opinions - 09/29/15 01:35 AM
Question:

Does any jurisdiction require an Electrical Permit to be pulled when a home (or other structure) is being re-sided??

Opinions:

Should an Electrical Permit be required??

I'll post a few pics in a couple of days.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Question and opinions - 09/29/15 08:10 AM
Maybe they might if they were disturbing the service or taking some outside outlets apart.
You probably want the service cut if they are moving the SE cables and Meter base to put siding under it.
I also know it gets done hot but that is just scary, particularly if this is the old style paper and asphalt SE cable that will be crumbling when you touch it by now.
We have an AHJ here who wants permits for device replacements (switches and receptacles)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Question and opinions - 09/29/15 08:34 PM
It's amazing what I come upon, even though the local POCO (PSE&G) will unlock the meter pan, and remove the screws.

Recently, I got a call from a POCO Inspector; 16 meters pulled off in a townhouse development, for a siding job. I was not a pretty site. Same for the HVAC discos and the exterior outlets and lights.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Question and opinions - 10/01/15 12:54 AM
I see an ad campaign in the making:

"Cheapskate Siding did this work:
(Large Picture)

But, not to worry; We at XYZ made it all good!"

Might be interesting to see how much Cheapskate will pay for you to take the ads down. Heck, they might even hire a real pro to clean up their jobs, on a regular basis.

NOW THERE'S AN IDEA. Visit Cheapskate first, and pitch your services to them. Maybe even see proofs of the ad copy. Heck, they may see the error of their ways.

"I see the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Question and opinions - 10/02/15 01:26 AM
When they are disturbing equipment that required a permit to install originally, they should have a permit to put it back.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Question and opinions - 10/02/15 01:36 PM
I agree with that Greg.

I'm thinking about sending a letter to the 'powers that be' (State) to address this within the UCC.

Presently, the Building inspectors visually 'check' to see if the service/meter are "secured" when they do the siding inspection.

IMHO, that is above/beyond their scope.

© ECN Electrical Forums