ECN Forum
Posted By: rj new guy - 01/25/03 04:12 AM
Hello I am new to the web site and discussion area. I have read a lot of information and I really like reading what has been discussed. I have learned many new things from the site, and I hope to learn more. Does anyone know of any good books to help a person learn and help retain what they have learned? My boss tells me that I am not picking the trade up very fast and that I should be able to do more than I have been doing. I will admit it takes me a little longer to learn some things than others. My boss has been in the business for 30 years and is a lot faster than me. Any suggestions to help me retain more?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: new guy - 01/25/03 04:58 AM
Welcome rj, Are you getting all the info you need? I heard the same s....t for 3 years from 2 different ec's. No matter what I did Iwas never smartor fast enough for them. I learned how many ways you could do something right and still be wrong,because "thats not the way I want it done stupid" usually in front of everyone else on the job.Fortunately, I found a good man to work for, stayed with him 14 yrs.Maybe rj, its the teacher not the pupil!
Posted By: rj Re: new guy - 01/25/03 05:16 AM
I have been told by another guy in the shop thatmyboss really is not a teacher. I have learned more from the other guy than my boss. I really enjoy working in the trade. My boss gets mad when I ask the other guy questions and not him, when I do ask my boss he ask me the same question back just saying it different. Thanks for repling.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: new guy - 01/25/03 05:24 AM
rj,

Welcome!
Which areas do you think you are weak in?
If you can give some specifics it might help.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-25-2003).]
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: new guy - 01/25/03 06:42 AM
good question Bill...
Posted By: rj Re: new guy - 01/25/03 03:19 PM
Well I have a little trouble with motor starters and keeping things simple. I don't always think of the simple things first. I am not a great conduit bender either. We don't do a lot of new conduit.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: new guy - 01/25/03 03:35 PM
if you go to the ecn bookstore they have a book that is pretty good we used it in school and i still have it on my tool box at work, you can also buy a workbook with it that has you do all kinds of motor wiring in the workbook here is a link to that will take you right to the book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2592831-3523018?v=glance&s=books

you could also go to your local tech school or college and find a book similar to this or the new version

[This message has been edited by jlhmaint (edited 01-25-2003).]
Posted By: rj Re: new guy - 01/25/03 03:45 PM
THanks for the help. It is really appreciated
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: new guy - 01/25/03 03:49 PM
found one other thing not sure if help but i had it bookmarked
http://www.industrialtext.com/eBooks/Intro_to%20Circuit.PDF
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: new guy - 01/25/03 03:59 PM
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/
Posted By: harold endean Re: new guy - 01/25/03 08:34 PM
RJ,

Welcome to the board. I found that if I watched what was going on, ask questions, read my code book, and have a quest for knowledge, then I believe you can be self taught. As others have said, there are many good books out there. Some of them might even be free. Some of the trade magazines offer free subscritions. I would read all of the ones I could get my hands on. I believe we all can learn something new every day.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: new guy - 01/26/03 04:35 AM
RJ,
Want to also welcome you to the "Family" (ECN).

Along with the great replies made by the Members, I would like to add a few things.

If you want to study "Advanced" stuff - like Controls, Equipment and Theories, your best options are to get as many books possible, and attend any classes possible.
Buy a few good books from various places - such as the Bookstore here at ECN.
For more deeper areas, check out the References sections at a few local Libraries.

Along with this, post questions here at ECN and check out the Technical Reference section (best idea is to view the "Menu" and select links from there).

As to field knowledge, keep on asking the people you work with on projects!!! If they are happy to help, you have found something many people only wish they had!!!
The people in the field can teach you many things, much better than someone not in the field - mainly because you are able to apply the knowledge first hand at the time of discussion, and learn from what worked and what didn't.

If your boss wants to be involved with teaching you, this person must realize the obligation required, and accept it!
Simply, if your boss won't help out and can't handle the fact that the people in the field are training you - screw him/her!!!
I say this because it's ridiculous for him/her to get offended by persons in the company trying to help another Employee! (unless they are giving you bad info, that would change everything!).
Also, if your boss keeps brushing you off (as to the training), try to arrange a time with him/her so the two of you can sit down and freely discuss training.
If this sounds crazy to the boss, just allow him/her to think you are not learning from anyone else and avoid the subject completely!

Man, I am a real trouble maker, huh???!!! What a bad example I am! [Linked Image]

For Conduit bending, this is an Art which can only be perfected by experience. I suggest to get some 1/2" and 3/4" sticks (plus a bender for each), and practice different bends on your own time.
Practice making 90ºs, 45ºs and such first (so you get the feel of how to bend without kinking the bends).
After you master simple bends, try making Saddles (4-point bends) over something - like a Toolbox, and keep going until you make at least two clean saddles without difficulty.
Try using 30º and 45º offsets for Saddles.
The easiest way to make saddles is to:
<OL TYPE=1>

[*]Measure the Height and Width of the item to be saddled,

[*]Make two offsets of equal angle somewhere close to the center of the stick, which are the Width of the object being saddled (add maybe an inch more to the measurement),

[*]Place the "Width" saddle section of the conduit against the handle of the bender,

[*]With your tape measure's end against the bender handle, move it away from the offsets until the "Height" measurement falls on the conduit,

[*]Mark the conduit at this point,

[*]Do the same on the other side of the saddle,

[*]With the bender standing up (bender head up, handle against the ground), place the marked spot on the conduit across the "Center Point" of the bender's head (if this is not marked on the bender's head, it can be found by making a 90 and marking the point on the bender where the bend starts),

[*]Now pull the conduit down until it's level with the ground (depending on the bend angle and the bender's offset angle),

[*]Repeat on other side,

[*]Adjust each side as needed to correct the resulting angles.
</OL>

This is the most simplest and effective saddle method I have ever used!

Once you master 4-point saddles, dive into "Box Offsets", 3-point bends and "Gooseneck" bends.

Don't get frustrated! It takes time to learn the Art of Conduit bending.

Some other things to practice on your own time would be Wire makeup, Terminating wires to devices (receptacles, switches, etc.), and such.

Good luck!!!

Scott35 S.E.T.

edited for spellin' errors (i arr an veri badd spelor)

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 01-25-2003).]
Posted By: waymag Re: new guy - 01/26/03 04:49 AM
Bending conduit to me can be quite fun. I mean really each electrician is leaving his art work where all can see in alot of cases. In fact my wife jumps on my case when we go places and say "what was that guy thinking when he bent that" or "wow that guy was talented". But best of all is the look on your helpers face when you turn out that perfect 3 point saddle.
© ECN Electrical Forums