ECN Forum
Posted By: dana1028 Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 02:58 AM
some time back (fall?) there was a discussion about preferences for residential service panelboards....someone was recommending a Cutler Hammer model....now that I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased my own home I want to install a new service but cannot find that thread about the Cutler Hammer panels...? can someone point me to that thread or re-recommend some of those models?
thanx for any help.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 03:04 AM
Dana:
Can't direct you to the thread, but...
IMHO, if it's my house..Square D: QO, 200 amp, 40 circuit.
CH isn't bad, but now it's "Challenger" with a CH label..they are merged.
PS: Good luck with the house, and congrats.
John
Posted By: harold endean Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 04:31 AM
Dana,

Cutler Hammer has been a good service power. They have a good track record. So does Square D as John has pointed out.

Harold
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 05:22 AM
thanx guys - I've always preferred Sq. D for all my commercial work, but that thread seemed to indicate CH was doing some cutting edge work with 'smart homes', etc....just wanted to looked into it a little closer.
Posted By: caselec Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 05:29 AM
Are you looking for a Combination Service Entrance Device or just a load center? In general I like the Square D CSED's over Cutler Hammers. I'm located not far from you and have a pretty good feel of what equipment is locally stocked and worth buying. Let me know exactly what you looking for and I'll be happy to give you my input.

Curt
Posted By: SJT Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 07:50 PM
I allways put in the Murray brand myself. Good luck with your house. The next one I do for myself, I think I would go with a good brand and copper bus. They look good and you know you have a good connection. I may start to use them also for the Business.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 07:57 PM
I'm with Hotline - SQD QO 200 amp - 40 space 40 circuit value pack - 183 bucks at Big Orange - hey - gotta go where the deal is...my supplier can't seem to get it - they are still telling me there is no such thing - LOL!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 08:47 PM
Happi:

This is not a "threadjack".

Just a "FYI", I didn't mention the "Big Orange". For what it's worth, I'm a loyal customer of two local electrical supply houses. And, yes, I shop at "Big Orange" for things for my home, but not electrical supplies. Yes, in a "pinch" my guys will go there to get minor items, if they need it, and the "house" isn't in practical driving distance.

The supply houses have been good to me for many years, and the pricing seems to be OK.
"Big Orange" and "Big Blue" (the "lower one") are driving most of the "local mom and pop" places out of business. "Orange's" prices seem to have crept up around here, as there is very little competition, time will tell if "lower" (Blue) will cause a stir.

John
Posted By: JBD Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 11:02 PM
Happi_Man

The value packs are only available at the big box stores.

In Square D's infinite marketing wisdom full-line electical distributors do not have access to them. Same thing goes with pricing, big boxes can have low every day pricing but a full-line distributor needs to have a contract/negotiation.
Posted By: electure Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/24/03 11:38 PM
Is Square D still making QO Combination Services?
My suppliers have told me that the Sq D Combi services have all gone to the Homeline.
(are they pulling my leg?)

The (larger)C-H semiflush UG combinations I've used have had one big flaw. The utility conduit KO will cause your service lateral to come up about 1-1/2" outside the wall framing. Kinda tough here in the world of stucco depth of 1", without a "popout" to cover it.
If you've got a chance to buy a QO combi-service, jump on it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 12:17 AM
We install 100s of C-H panels every year. Never had a problem. Sq D is an excellent make, but I believe C-H to be a better value around here.
Posted By: electure Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 12:39 AM
We're in a dilemnia?
Dana, is it a Combination Service Entrance?
(There's kind of a CA/AZ thing here)
We don't do things the same as many of you do(You guys with snow)

Our breakers are in a common enlosure with the meter & main, and then the branch circuits go from there. (mounted facing outdoors)
Is that the communications breakdown?
I know, the whole World thinks we're looney
They're right...S...CA

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-24-2003).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 01:46 AM
I've got to defend Cutler Hammer a little. Their regular type CH panels with the tan handle breakers are every bit as good as Sq D QO.

That said, they do have a line type BR that is the same as Challenger and while they pass minimum standards, they aren't top of the line. That said, SQ D has Homeline, which is scraping the bottom of the barrel also.
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 01:55 AM
lately the only panels that i been putting in is (general electric) 20 circuit with main breaker.no complaint here.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 06:05 AM
I have installed 4 brands Square D, Siemans, GE, and Cutler-Hammer. Have had no problems with any of it untill AFCI's came out. Have found that if the supply houses know you are looking for best price, they will work with you. BTW All 4 are installed here. Also usually in resi work the meter socket and incoming power co. wires are outside.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 06:36 AM
Well...I don't even know what a "threadjack" is...and I don't remember referring to whether The Big Orange was brought up or not...but that's besides the point I 'spose...

I too am a loyal customer of ONE local supply house - but I asked them time and time again why they couldn't get that deal and they had no explanation and no solution...that said, I get my 200 AMP SQD QO 40 space 40 circuit main breakers from HOME DEPOT. If you have been there, and I know you have, then you know that they carry items that contractors use unlike Lowe's, who carries junk, and if you took a moment to look into it you would find that they also re-invest into the community and that there is NOT one in or near every strip mall in your town...

All due respect my friend but I too represent "mom and pop" and I can't afford to spend my money frivolously. I spend 90% of my materials budget at my local supply house but when it comes down to thirty bucks everytime I need a 200 amp service...let me tell you - that's my liability, auto and workman's comp combined...so please, PLEASE don't tell me about mom and pop and their hard times...i've got 'em myself...

and for the record, value packs are available at any distributor that has negotiated the deal with their Square D rep...I get them at CED all except the one that i can get elsewhere for less cost...

anyway - i was agreeing that SQD QO is what I support - if my reference to some other component frightened anyone - by all means - stop shopping there...
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Cutler Hammer - res panelboard - 01/25/03 03:10 PM
I am a square D man myself, and one of the supply houses in my area stocks the value packs, both in homeline and QO. Although he started stocking the QO after I had put in the Homeline in my own house. grumble. I don't know if the other SD dealer in town has the value packs or not, I don't go there at all, it's nice having a purchasing agent, you just tell him what you want, and it shows up on the shop floor [Linked Image]

TW
© ECN Electrical Forums