ECN Forum
I have a HO that needs his Zinsco main panel replaced.(he works for a insurance co.) Zinsco has a 100 amp backfed main, I was originally trying to see if he only needed a panel swap and not have to change the riser and meter base, which is a round base (60a?), He said later he might want to add Solar and a car charger. his load is only 64 amps even with a 30a 240v charger included, 814 sq. ft. living space. Maximum solar roof space is 20x40 for 800 sq. ft. or 23amps backfeed or 30amp breaker based on calcs from online, estimators. So I figure I need to put in a 125amp bus panel with 100amp and still be under the overdrive rule. My question is do I have to make sure the meter socket can handle 150 or ok with the round base and 100amp aluminum #2 conductors?
The "round base" is rated for only 60 amps. Sounds like you need a complete service upgrade.

"Panel swap" is an obscene term to me. IMO, EVERY "service change" includes bringing it all up to current code - meaning a larger service, a 2" (or larger) mast, a new meter socket, and new ground rodS.
You'd better get up with your local Poco.

PG & E has mimimum standards for SFH, PERIOD.

The calculated load and square footage are irrelevant. (This is based upon experience, BTW. Things grow.)

IIRC, the Green Book stipulates 200A 240VAC as the minimum service.

IIRC, the Green Book stipulates 100A 240VAC for a condo/ apartment/ or temporary power poles or pedestals.

One reason for this is that the Poco's want to drastically reduce the wire types that they have to stock -- and install. This leads to consequences in terms of AIC in the Service Equipment being fed.

So the big question is... is he deemed a condo or not?

As for the new gear... everything would turn on the minimum required by the Poco.

EUSERC standards apply.

BTW, the old (analog) meters are being jerked out ASAP all over California.

Why not use a all in one panel? Cheap, plentiful, since your in CA that is the common residential panel.
Different factors went in to going down the repair/replace road rather than whole new service, panel width, top feed section on right not left as most I've seen, and UG/OH distribution is tight on most panels or they are double wide.....it wasn't until the idea of solar that I had to look at bussing...access to riser path is challenging, might have to rent a bucket....
Lets try this link to photos.
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Nice pic- once you figure out it's sideways laugh

That's a perfect application for an "all in one" panel. The existing meter base is only rated for 60 amps, and the new service will have to be at least 100 amps.

The mast might be a problem. I would hope you can relocate the drop, and punch the new mast straight through the eave. Here's where you pay extra-close attention to your PoCo specs; they often specify the drop has to be within a certain distance of the corner of the house.

Don't forget to add ground rods; that service most likely has only a water bond.

All in one panels have the utility section on the left side, the breaker section is on the right. There wouldn't be enough space to leave the mast where it is currently

How about a meter/main, and a panel to the immediate left of the meter/main?

I would observe that this Square D model has the mast enter dead center of the top: SO1020M100S . It's probably no wider than the existing panel.

The only 'if' is that it is a 100-amp service. There may be larger models available with a similar arrangement.

Note that a new service will need a new, larger mast, in any event. "Mast location" is going to be a bit different no matter what.
I was going with what Tesla said in the third post.

If he recalls correctly,the PG&E Green Book stipulates 200A 240VAC as the minimum service, and 100A 240VAC for a condo/ apartment/ or temporary power poles or pedestals.

The OP lives in PG&E territory.

Edit: By George, both Murray and Square D offer center meter 200 amp all in ones after all.

6.2. Residential Electric Service: Specifications and Requirements

"Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) typically provides electricity for residential and commercial applicants served on a domestic rate schedule with 3-wire, 120/240-volt, single-phase, 60-hertz (Hz), alternating current (ac) service...

This service is limited to a service-entrance rating of 200 amperes.

Applicants should contact their local PG&E service planners and ask about the type of services that are available for their specific locations."

Section 6 from the Green book. ^^^^

This Service might be able to obtain an exception -- but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

6.4. Meter Locations

"An applicant must consult a PG&E service planner during the initial construction phase of his or her project to determine the appropriate meter location and to ensure that adequate space is provided for the meter.

PG&E must review and approve all meter installations before the meters are installed."
I've seen similar requirements in my PoCo's rules - but the meaning was "this is as big as we go without submitting your plan to engineering for review." They were never taken to mean 200-amps was a MINIMUM service size.

Mind you, most customers seem to think they want a "200 amp service," no matter how modest their hovel. It seems to be a matter of 'keeping up with the Joneses.' Or, what they really want are more breaker spaces.

As for meter locations, I've had to relocate meters several times to separate them from the gas meter. On one occasion, I was able to obtain permission to continue to use an existing location that no longer met their specs.

This thread is a very good reminder that the PoCo has rules- and it's not enough to just look to the NEC.
I spoke to a woman at PGE and she could only find the 100amp minimum, in her greenbook, I as well couldn't find the 200amp min., What the thinking on running riser thru roof vs. through the front eave board, Is the riser clamp not designed for lateral horizontal pulls? most all in the area come out just past eave.
I do like the idea of the all in one but not sure if Sq D makes one in QO havent found it in the pdf yet.

Square D no longer makes QO combination services frown

The Homeline is the only thing they offer.

© ECN Electrical Forums