ECN Forum
Posted By: nhsparky Low voltage lighting control systems? - 03/30/14 05:16 PM
Hello every one.
What are you using for low voltage lighting control systems and how do you like them?

Over the past 25 years or so, I've used Lite Touch, which I liked very much except for the cost, Leviton's Visia RF system, which I found to be limited and difficult to program and Lutron's Radio RA. I found the Radio RA system okay, but not nearly as easy to use as the Lite Touch. I have no experience with the Radio RA2 yet and will have to look into it more.

My problem with Lite Touch is they sold out to Savant and when they did, they completely abandoned all their past costumers. They will not sell to any of my wholesale suppliers, only their "certified installers".
This means when one of my customers with a Lite Touch system I installed, programed and serviced for years has a service need, I have to call my competitor to fix it because Savant will only deal with him.
I can't get factory tech support, I can't buy repair or replacement parts and I can't expand the system. Needless to say, this is a quick way of loosing a customer by inviting you competitor into your world.
By the way, the competitor I refer to is a great guy whom I have no problem with. Its just a fact of life, my customer will be calling him for service work before long and I've lost a customer, through no fault of my own. To say I am greatly disappointed with Lite Touch is an understatement!

Savant will only allow 1 "certified installer" in the area, so that avenue is closed also.

Needless to say, I need to make a change and am looking for feedback on what systems are popular and why.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Low voltage lighting control systems? - 03/30/14 06:17 PM
The few lighting systems I installed, I built the panels myself with Industrail grade plugin relays and timers. System will out last the lights, very easy to fix if it does break, and half the cost of the commercially avsilable equivalent without the headaches you are dealing with.
Posted By: electure Re: Low voltage lighting control systems? - 03/30/14 07:21 PM

For Commercial applications I've had good luck with
Lighting Control and Design.

http://www.lightingcontrols.com/index.asp

Reliable, and easy to install. Their tech support is unparallelled.

As far as LV Resi lighting controls, the last one I installed was a Touch Plate system in the late '70s laugh

© ECN Electrical Forums