ECN Forum
Posted By: Jack Zaddock Water Cooler GFCI? - 01/23/03 03:58 PM
Does a water cooler or drinking fountain require a GFCI receptacle or a standard receptacle to meet code?
Posted By: mountainman Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 01/23/03 05:52 PM
Jack
A regular receptacle is all the code requires.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 01/23/03 06:18 PM
If you're dealing with an in-wall water fountain, would the area containing the cooler underneath be considered a damp area?

Would seem logical, wouldn't it?

I've only seen standard receptacles used for those when the panels have been knocked off.
Posted By: swillman Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 01/24/03 02:01 AM
i would put it on a gfi it should not trip when the chiller kicks in
Posted By: harold endean Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 01/24/03 04:34 AM
I have seen where an insurence co. required a GFI recpt. for water coolers, and for coffee makers where the coffee maker was hooked up to the city water. (It was in a resteraunt) (Did I spell that right?_) It is not in the NEC but the insurence co. wanted it.
Posted By: OSHA Professor Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 01:52 AM
If the are below a water cooler were a wet location then you couldn't use a receptacle GFCI. It's not listed for that location.
Drinking fountains are NOT the same as water coolers. Drinking fountains are not electrical. They are the old porcelain plumbing only (no electrical) found many years ago and perhaps a few still exist.
Today the UL listing is for "Water Coolers". NEC Article on pools and fountains, definitions specifically state that water coolers are not to be considered fountains for the purposes of the article and therefore do not require GFCI's.
Mountainman is correct, the NEC does not require GFCI's, only regular receptacles.
If someone chose to install a GFCI then there would be an obligation for monthly tests and the normal condenser leakage current could result in tripping.
Regular receptacle is the best option in my opinion with a good low impedance ground as required by NEC.
OSHA Professor
Posted By: txsparky Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:02 AM
Hmmmm...Several public as well as private schools and churches under my belt and if I remember correctly,the engineer required(called out for on drwgs) GFCI receptacles on all of the EDFs.(electric drinking fountains)
Posted By: OSHA Professor Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:24 AM
txsparkey,
Your memory is perfect, I agree with you 100%. I've seen architecture firms and engineers specify same. They don't have to test them. Ask them what code requires same, why they specify same, if they know how a GFCI works, and what possible safety drawbacks are associated with GFCI's? I have, and you'll hear a lot of hum a huma huma.
OSHA Professor
Posted By: txsparky Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 03:14 AM
O.P.,
You've gone and peaked my curiosity now.What possible safety drawbacks are associated with GFCI receptacle on an EDF as opposed to a standard duplex receptacle?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 05:16 AM
yeah if i remeber the french codes right they have the same probem with electric water cooler also they want to put gfci but it was not too sucessfull but right now i dont know if the techonly getting better with gfci also i know in french code and nec codes say just use the regualr outlet that all i recall it

merci marc
Posted By: Ron Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:09 PM
The NEC is a minimum code, as we all know. Many engineers design projects with requirements past the minimum code. Although not required by code, GFCI's are a great choice. I have not seen a quality compressor on a Water Cooler trip a GFCI.
During use, most water coolers get splash on the floor from the person spilling, pipe leak or dribbling. When my kid is standing in the puddle, and holding the metalic cooler/operator button, I would prefer that the branch circuit serving the cooler is GFCI protected.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:32 PM
Ron,
I agree with you 100%.I would venture to guess though,that they never get tested.I can't imagine a school district maintenance man removing the front cover of an EDF to push a test button.I would also go on to question how many other gfci get tested once a month and documented anywhere.I personally don't have a schedule for testing and documenting GFCI receptacles at my own house.I can't fathom a large school district assigning this task to someone.(They are all complaining about not enough money for the schools already)IMO,the only time a gfci receptacle gets tested is when power is lost and someone is troubleshooting the problem.The new gfci that wont reset if defective will make things safer if they work as their supposed to. [Linked Image]
I would still like to hear about the safety drawbacks that osha professor bought up as opposed to using a duplex receptacle on an EDF.Anyone have anything on this?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:46 PM
See the similiar discussions here:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000737.html
Posted By: Ron Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 02:48 PM
Since a malfuntioning GFCI recept, will either falsely trip or not trip at all, I don't see any drawback to place a GFCI on the water cooler circuit as opposed to a standard duplex.
If it falsely trips, then someone will attend to the faulty GFCI. If it doesn't trip due to failure, then it is just as good as a standard duplex.
I agree with txsparky, that they probably will never be tested, but is that a reason not to install a gfci?
Posted By: Format_C: Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 04:07 PM
Last year in my HS the water coolers had GFCIs on them and the triped almost everytime the cooler turned on. (Yuck I hate warm water) They eventually raplaced them with non GFCI outlets though.
Posted By: cubby964 Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/10/03 08:09 PM
Not to ruffle any feathers here, but:
What are the modes of failure possible with an EDF? I don't see much possibility of the fountain itself being energized through a minor fault in the compressor, the push buttons are only water valves, and the water is not in direct contact with any energized parts. I know that there is always something that can go wrong, but I'm with The OSHA professor, the GFCI is more of a problem.
Where I feel the need for GFCI protection is where the possibility exists for contact with water, ground, and energized parts. I just don't feel that all three are here in normal circumstances, and a solid ground is all thats needed.

I have been in labs where the heating elements in water baths have developed an electrical leakage to the bath and I measured 80 volts to the receptacle ground, good place for GFCI.
Posted By: OSHA Professor Re: Water Cooler GFCI? - 02/15/03 11:16 PM
txsparky,

I didn't say the hazard was with "GFCI receptacle on an EDF", but rather, "how a GFCI works, and what possible safety drawbacks are associated with GFCI's".
This is frequently seen on construction sites which require GFCI's in addition to a continuous low impedance equipment ground.

Sometimes users thing that it's OK to loose the ground or ground pin because the branch circuit is GFCI protected and working.

What would you say If I told you that such a condition on a construction site (branch circuit with no equipment grounding conductor but protected with a functional class A GFCI) could and has resulted in both very serious accidents as well as fatalities ?

Stay tunned for the next installment. Hint: you qualified electrical workers already know the ans. (sorry, it's the educator in me)

OSHA Professor
Grizzy

[This message has been edited by OSHA Professor (edited 02-15-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums