ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Colder than a... - 01/19/03 02:15 PM
eskimo's instep?
[Linked Image]

Martin Luther King Jr Day
Cloudy with a chance of snow showers. High in the upper teens to lower 20s. Southwest wind at 10 to 20 mph...becoming northwest. Chance of snow 40 percent.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers or flurries. Low zero to 10 below. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Tuesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers or flurries. High zero to 10 above. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers or flurries. Low zero to 10 below. Chance of snow 30 percent.
Wednesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers or flurries. High zero to 5 above.
Thursday
Partly cloudy. Low zero to 5 below and high in the lower teens.
Friday
A chance of snow. Low zero to 10 below and high in the upper teens.
Saturday
A chance of snow. Low zero to 5 below and high in the upper teens.

well there's my week....being the 'crusty' new englander it's somewhat taboo to complain..... yet yellin' 'bring it on' on the ladder to keep warm ain't cuttin' it.... [Linked Image]

ok , now you southwestern sparkies can rub it in......
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 02:20 PM
This is exactly why I don't do any outdoor work in the winter! New Englander I may be but crusty I am not.
Posted By: iwire Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 03:32 PM
sparky

My boss must not watch the weather I am going to do site light repairs on Tuesday
30 foot poles nice open lot [Linked Image]

"Tuesday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers or flurries. High zero to 10 above. Chance of snow 30 percent."

I keep telling myself I would miss New England
Bob
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 03:35 PM
Help! Get me outta here!!!

Hmmmm.....maybe this is a good time to visit my friends in San Diego?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 03:48 PM
Sparky,

On Long Island we're a couple degrees warmer, but not much. Just curious, what is the coldest that you can feel comfortable with working outside? With me I think it's about 32 give or take only a few degrees. Below that I'm a non-starter.

Bill
Posted By: txsparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 04:08 PM
Going white bass fishing around noon today [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 04:26 PM
Even OLD England looks quite warm compared to that. [Linked Image]

Gray & miserable though, and getting windy.
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX0063_f.html

Anybody in FL, GA, AL, TX etc. need an assistant? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 04:45 PM
Paul i'm in north Ga.I'm looking out my window and seeing 2.5 inches of snow.Yesterday morning at 7 a.m. it was 3 below zero. Actual temp not wind chill. Snow has been here since thursday.Supposed to be up to the low 40's by tommorrow.Freezing rain and sleet by thursday. so much for the sunny south!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 06:21 PM
Here in northern NJ, I looked at the thermometer and saw that it was ZERO. I don't mind the cold too much, but even that is cold to me. I was walking around a construction site where there is a five story building going up. The temp. was 15 with a stiff wind. I felt bad for the boys working on the steel trying to work.
Posted By: Roger Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 07:00 PM
Here in the mountains of N.C. we are at 29 right now had 2 for a low yesterday. Took 2 1/2 hours to drive 30 miles on thursday. Oh well, we'll be burning up in about 6 months.

Be carefull.

Roger
Posted By: Nick Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 07:20 PM
Man, now I feel bad. [Linked Image]
"Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60's to mid 70's"
It goes on all week like that. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: bobp Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 07:59 PM
I know what you guys are talkking about. Got down to the low thirties last night..Brrrrrrrrrr.

Bob
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 09:53 PM
-2.2 ºF Night before last, wind howling at 15 to 20 mph.

Last years low (my records) was 9.7ºF. High was 89.7ºF.

We've beat the low several times aleady this year, and the usual cold spell is coming upon us. We usually get a couple of weeks of below zero weather in January/February, last year excluded.

All the snow, ice, freezing and thawing makes for great soil conditions! Not to mention cutting down on the insect population.

About time we had a decent winter!

<dodges tomatoes being thrown>
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 11:02 PM
well Bill,
i would say below 32 slows me down. even the simplest things like takin' a leak with all the gear on ......

wire 'rips' instead of strips, pvc cracks instead of being cut neatly via cutters...

About time we had a decent winter!

true, and all the old timers are saying the same, i'm still gonna ding ya with a 'mater though.....

we've about 3' on the ground, so before a service upgrade the other day i warmed up by shoveling to the meter
(the poco reader will be glad)

talking to the loggers, they are also shoveling, except it's an escape route after 'timber' is yelled.

i think they have it tough, i don't know one logger without a 'broken bone' story in these parts.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: bobp Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 11:19 PM
Sparky,
There's a saying here in the NW- "There's no such thing as a healthy old logger".
Bob
Posted By: iwire Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 11:30 PM
Off track, but if you are at all interested in logging, here is a great site from the NW
http://www.vannattabros.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: Fred Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 11:35 PM
I've been outside all day every day for the last 5 weeks. Last week was the worst. This week looks colder yet. It stayed in the single digits until noon today and tomorrow's "high" is forcasted to be 20º. I am roughing a large house right now and having to use steel boxes(this GC insists on steel)and it is probably just as well. PVC boxes tend to shatter when the nails tighten up when it's 10º. It stays about 10º colder inside this house than it is outside! I'm also roughing an animal hospital right now. That job isn't too bad. The HVAV guys are building about 700' of metal ductwork and they brought a 750,000 btu fuel oil space heater. You work in shirt sleeves on that job. The days I split between those two jobs wear me out. Show up at the house job wearing long johns, denim workshirt, 2 sweatshirts, 2 pr socks, Carhardt insulated bibs, hardhat liner and tobogan. Go to the other job and spend 1/2 hour undressing. No "sanitary facilities" on either job. If Klein had a place on their Powerline toolbelt for a colostamy bag I'd consider it this time of year!
Posted By: txsparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/19/03 11:55 PM
If Klein had a place on their Powerline toolbelt for a colostamy bag I'd consider it this time of year

ROTFLMAO at Fred.

We were at 27 this morning and quickly warmed to 65,but if it's any consolation,the fish weren't biting good.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: Arthur_RI Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 03:28 AM
Have 2 new 2000 sq ft plus houses to rough in this week in RI. Both houses overlooking the atlantic, will have the wind blowning in off the ocean all day. After 20+ years in business I feel I have paid my dues. I will be sending out the young guys to do the rough,I'll be staying in the office. Florida look better every year.
Posted By: C-H Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 08:23 AM
This time of year I really love being an engineer in a warm office. Electrical work outdoors this time of year must be a nightmare.

I'm curious: How do you work with cables outdoors when it falls below freezing? Doesn't the cable become stiff and the boxes brittle?

I'm north of all you guys, but it is very warm at the moment, 5°C (40°F). Strangely, two week ago it was -18°C (0°F) but the temperature jumped up almost over night.
Posted By: electure Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 12:12 PM
Well, you started it....
Like Nick said, 70's. The last couple of weeks have seen highs in the low-mid 80's.
There have been some foggy mornings.
If anyone wants tomatoes (to throw at Virgil), I've still got them growing on the vine, along with chiles, eggplant, and green beans. Looks like the plants are going to winter over.
I might have to put on a flannel shirt this morn, but it'll be off by 9 AM.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 12:26 PM
LOL!! OLD England!!! That's good... [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 04:57 PM
Ga.Sparky,

I was in Murphy, NC about 9 years ago, which from my map I see isn't too far from you (and close to Roger as well). I remember in November it just getting below freezing at night - enough to give an invigorating "nip" to the air, but still quite warm during the day.

Haven't seen sub-zero temperatures since I came back from Nebraska in 1996, but at least the cold there was very dry and crisp, whereas English winters, though not so cold, tend to be very wet and windy. Been drizzling here for nearly 3 days non-stop!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 09:32 PM
BTW, if anyone is interested:
Saturday 1/18/03, 7:15AM; Bricktown, NJ
Three (3) degrees...
I'm not complaining...
John
Posted By: Scotts Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 09:47 PM
I grew up in Missouri and I know there is a definite difference from 20 deg to 10 deg. There is also another step from 10 deg to 0 deg. Below 0, forget it. Had the bright idea one day after the snow ball fight with no gloves to warm up my hands under hot water. WOW did that hurt, learned to use cold water first.

Being here in CA I do miss the seasons. Especially the fall with all the trees changing color. Oh well you can't have it all. But then remember my mortgage could choke two elephants and a horse.

Scott

You guys should see it here when it rains. All of the news stations go on "storm watch" If it rains more than 1/2" in one day you would think the world is coming to an end. They always go to some reporter standing out in the rain telling how awful the conditions are. It is actually quite sad. Scott35 can back me up on this.

Scott again.

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 01-20-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 11:20 PM
On Tuesday...temperatures will barely get above zero in most places. Winds
will pick up during the day...as deepening low pressure area heads for
Labrador. Have gone with a Wind Chill Advisory for late tonight and
Tuesday...as gusty northwest winds combined with bitterly cold
temperatures will produce wind chills in the 20 to 30 below range on
Tuesday.

we've a frame up about 2000 ASL. The carpenters on the roof today noticed some white blotches on each others faces....

they had to pull off the job......
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Colder than a... - 01/20/03 11:41 PM
Is 2000 ft ASL considered high?

Heck, I'm at 2200 and I'm in the valley!

The nearest mountain is 3600 and the nearest high point is Grassy Knob at 4500.

The highest point in the state is just under 5000 ft, still lower than Denver!

Didn't mean to make mountains out of mole hills!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 12:15 PM
not necessarily high my mountainous mate, it's just the wind.....

even a calm day below see's wind up on this particular site.

and this is the 1st time this year i've seen the beigining stage of frostbite.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 12:39 PM
It's not the heat it's the humidity.....Ooops I'll save that for July, Till then...."Cold enough for ya?"
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 01:02 PM
I fortunatly don't have to work outside much in the winter, but I do have to crawl down into the bowels of a lump of iron known as a steam engine. There are times that our engine house hovers around 38 degrees F. When 100 tons of iron gets that cold, EVERYTHING gets cold. Whatever you find to sit on acts like a big heatsink and will suck the heat right out of you. Your butt is numb in about 30 seconds. You can't put extra layers on, or you don't fit into where you need to go.

Come on springtime. [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 01:44 PM
There is going to be some cold work here . The steel was just finished a few weeks ago, but there is a lot of electrical work to be done on the tower. This work has to be completed in late March so all of the testing can be completed for the ride to open. The top of the track is 420' above the ground. For those who like roller coasters, here are the specs for the new ride. The worlds tallest and fastest.
Note the first link is to a live webcam and you won't see anything when it is dart in the Eastern time zone.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 01-21-2003).]
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 03:55 PM
Sorry you guys... We were seeing 72 deg here last week before the "cold wave" hit... Airplane tickets to Las Vegas are usually very cheap...

LAS VEGAS VALLEY-
TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE AFTERNOON HIGHS IN THE MID 60S.
TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S...
WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE MID 60S... LIGHT WIND
THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S
FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 09:38 PM
I do feel sorry for my northern brothers.Right now it is 78 with a heat index of 81 where I live.We are supposed to be at 22 Friday morning.Thats Texas though,if you don't like the weather,stick around cause it'll shore change
Posted By: pauluk Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 09:58 PM
The point about being surrounded by large lumps of cold iron also goes for stonework. Some of the old stone cottages here which can feel very cold, even after fan heaters are turned on and the air temperature gets well up into the 60s. Wood always seems to have a much "warmer" feel to it.

It's not the heat it's the humidity.....
That applies to the cold as well. Though much colder temperature-wise than here, in many ways I found the in-land American winter much better than England because the air is so much dryer.

"What does it feel like to cruise to Earth from a height of more than 400 feet at speeds exceeding 100 mph?"
I'm not sure I'd want to find out..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: gramps Re: Colder than a... - 01/21/03 11:39 PM
the weather geeks here, are telling us the "arctic" air is moving out, and the "siberian" air is moving in. what the hell's the difference? cold is cold!!!
anyway, guys, if you have the right amount of influence on the "movers and shakers" in your company......or maybe you are that "mover and shaker", try scheduling things like "service truck maintenance, inventory, voluntary vacations (offer an extra day?), equipment proficiency seminars, fix-up, clean-up, paint, and organize." the guys that wanna work, or need to, post the active jobs on your bulletin board, and ask for volunteers. if the only job there is, is an outdoor job, doing parking lot lights, and my family needs to eat.......i'll take it!!!! [Linked Image]

seriously guys, i know where you all are coming from..........but, the great thing about living in the good old usa, (or any other democratic country)"..is the idea that we can live and work anywhere we want to!!
i hate winters too, always have. (prolly comes from my childhood in rockport, texas).

all i can say is "make the best of it" and "quitcherbitchin"... [Linked Image]

gramps....(ready for the flames)
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/22/03 12:23 AM
but gramps.....
bi***in's the only thing keeping me warm [Linked Image]

good thing i'm good at it.....

The train will then zoom straight up the 420-foot-tall hill on track that will rotate 90 degrees, crest the coaster's apex and then free fall back to Earth, reaching a speed of 120 mph for the second time. As the train races more than 400 feet to the ground, the track will twist an unbelievable 270 degrees -
egads Don!
are we to assume some apprentice of yours gets to test ride this?? [Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Colder than a... - 01/22/03 12:32 AM
Sparky,
I wish I was working on that job. By tradition, the construction workers get one of the first rides. I hope to get out there this summer to test it.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 01-21-2003).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Colder than a... - 01/22/03 12:37 AM
If it's going 120 mph, 400 ft up, and doing a "death spiral" there better be a stick and rudder pedals involved before I'll climb into it!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Colder than a... - 01/22/03 01:01 AM
I had the "honor" of riding Montezuma's Revenge @ Knott's Berry Farm. 2AM, just got her goin', and we were working there @ night.
It ran by a SPST switch GO or NO. Rest was (Newton) gravity.
Wowee, what a ride (they dialed the speed down after that).
Next day, while trying it out without passengers, the dog that threw the train got stuck in the UP position, the train came through @ about 55mph, and ripped the guts out of the train. (fortunately without me in it)
A PC Card had vibrated out of its socket. We got an extra on the shock mounts.
Darn glad I wasn't in it...S
Posted By: Matt M Re: Colder than a... - 01/22/03 03:27 AM
Heh heh heh... I'm starting to really like this el nino kid. Its been dropping to around minus 15 F every night here in northern Minnesota for the past week or so, and I'm happy about it. I'm happy about it because in a normal winter we'd be seeing two or three weeks in december/january of the minus 20 to minus 40 or colder stuff. Minus 15? hmph! you can still sprint to the mailbox and back in your T-shirt and underwear at 15 below! You don't know cold until you've experienced 50 below LOL. And yes, thats without the wind chill factor.
Posted By: Admin Re: Colder than a... - 01/24/03 06:10 AM
[Linked Image]
It was a "mite" nippy at the Pentagon today, I was indulging in one of my favorite activities, well, the door blew open, and some son of a gun with a camera.......
Well, you get the picture. :-)
(email from George C.)
Posted By: macwire Re: Colder than a... - 01/27/03 12:07 PM
ROFLMAO!!! That is some GREAT ice sculpting!

Seriously though, how cold does it have to get before you guys will refuse to go out on a job, especially an outdoor construction job? I ask because here in the Philly area today's highs are going to be in the low to mid teens with wind chills of 5 to 10 below 0.

Any Philly-area sparkies going out to that construction site today? BRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

MacWire
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Colder than a... - 01/27/03 06:10 PM
George!!

Priceless. ROTFLMAO!!!!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]:
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/27/03 10:01 PM
LOL~ that's a great one George!

it's about how one feels in those unheated portapottys too!

Friday i wore my full 'outside' gear , cartharts bib overalls, jacket w/ hood, and for the first time this year, my ski mask.

sorta gives me that 'burgler' look..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Colder than a... - 01/30/03 12:22 PM
an e-mail from a fellow electricain here .....

VERMONT TEMP CONVERSION CHART

@ +70 degrees Texans turn on the heat and unpack the
thermal underwear.
People in Vermont go swimming in the rivers.

@ +60 degrees Floridians try to turn on the heat.
People in Vermont plant gardens.

@ +50 degrees Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Vermont sunbathe.

@ +40 degrees Italian &English cars won't start.
People in Vermont drive with the windows down.

@ +32 degrees Distilled water freezes.
Lake Champlain water gets thicker.

@ +20 degrees North Carolinians don coats, thermal
underwear, gloves, and woolly hats. People in Vermont
throw on a flannel shirt.

@ +15 degrees Philadelphia landlords finally turn up
the heat. People in Vermont have the last cookout
before it gets cold.

@ +10 degrees People in Miami all die...
Mt. Mansfield Union High students lick the flagpole.

@ -20 degrees Californians fly away to México.
People in Vermont get out their winter coats.

@ -40 degrees Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Vermont are selling cookies door to
door.

@ -60 degrees Polar bears begin to evacuate the
Arctic. Vermont Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival"
classes until it gets cold enough.

@ -80 degrees Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Vermont rent some videos.

@ -100 degrees Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
UVM students get frustrated because they can't thaw
the keg.

@ -297 degrees Microbial life no longer survives on
dairy products.
Cows in Vermont complain about farmers with cold
hands.

@ -460 degrees ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero
in the Kelvin scale). People in Vermont start saying,
"S'pose I should throw another

@ -500 degrees Hell freezes over.
Vermont's Howard Dean is Elected President!

© ECN Electrical Forums