ECN Forum
Posted By: MarkC10 Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 08:10 PM
I Suppose I'm the newest member here, although probably one of the older members as well.

I live in southern cal, I've been in the electrical industry since 1984 .. got my C10 at 24 years old back in 1987, after 10 years of competitive bidding I decided at 35 to join the IBEW got in after taking a 4 hour exam, became a journeyman eventually became a foreman even became a general foreman for a spell.

During 2010 the economy dropped, I was dumped on the books with 1000 other journeyman for 1 year when I decided enough, I ended up reinstating my Contractors Lic. which now even after 3 years I've been steadily booked 3 weeks in advance since starting my business again.

Hope all you fellow electricians are able to keep busy as well ..

Care to share your electrical history .. ?

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 09:06 PM
Welcome- and your intro begs many questions. Here are a few, and perhaps you might be willing to share your thoughts:

1) Are you a union contractor?

2) What reasons account for your staying busy while union members sit idle?

3) Did the drop in the economy also hurt the non-union shops? As badly?

4) Are you doing the same sort of work you did as a union electrician?

5) What qualifications do you have, apart from your union card? (Looking for BICSI,etc- special certifications)

6) Apart from your contractors' license, what other licenses / certifications are you required to have? (LEED, EPA, RRRP, Asbestos, etc)?
Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 10:06 PM
Well .. reno, I don't think I'll accommodate your approval either way from your questions. I'll try ..

First of all I loved the Union, great people great benefits ..but I just couldnt sit idle while waiting for a job that may last 2 years at most .. some members did great ..great for them.

If I ever need to hire employees it would be out of the hall .. I do need to honor some sort of oath and obligation.

The only reason I am working is because of my diligence and perseverance to earn income while providing a service in need..

I'm pretty sure the dip in the economy affected all tradesmen union or not ..

I could never compete in bidding the same jobs as the union, I was doing high rises, hospital and schools .. now I'm simply doing simple residential work, troubleshooting issues and an occasional row of drop ins .. my days of doing big work are over. Besides I don't do jobs that require credit for supplies.

My only qualifications are a C10 License I obtained 25 years ago. As I've learned and do appreciate there are many outstanding electricians out there some are strictly motor control some are solar experts or wind powered experts, some work with 3" rigid all day and some pull romex..either way the hourly rate is an hourly rate .. whether I earn my money bending segmented 3" rigid or run coax my labor is the same .. right.

I use to attend all the meetings regarding safety, trenching guidelines, OSHA, Abatement so on ..

so .. any other questions to discredit my contribution within the electrical industry.

Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 10:30 PM
As far as why I didn't stick it out within the union if that is asked ..

Basically I was on the Books for about 9 months getting closer every month I believe I started as 950 and after 9 months was down to 250 .. during this period I had a lot of debt obligations, It got so bad that I was late several times on my dues .. well the final straw was when I sent a 6 month check to accommodate my late dues .. they returned the check and said basically I lost my membership status .. I gave them 10 years of what I feel to be good service, they let me go basically, my check was good for roughly 3 months of past dues and for 3 months of future dues.

Besides, my theory is the union basically wanted to phase us journeyman out with all the new upcoming plans to hire CW's and CH which was basically bringing new members in but without giving them the same pay scale, no benefits or retirement .. us journeyman saw what was going on .. I understood too and that's when I realized the union is down sizing, instead of paying journeyman 38.00 + and hour they would hire these lower paid guys 18.00 ..

Can't blame them really, I have a pretty good understanding of business and sure when schools cost the taxpayer 2 million or more why not hire these other none journeyman laborers with an IBEW hat on and bid the job at 1.5 million.

It's not my idea .. the unions are trying to get more work.

Do ya pay 60.00 and hour to install a row of lights or hire a guy at 18.00, either way it's gonna get inspected. Safety is always necessary regardless the pay scale.

It wasn't my idea .. I'm just trying to conform to a changing time. Besides the only person I can blame these days for me not working ..Is me.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 11:19 PM
It's not a matter of "my approval" or your credibility. I'm sorry you took it that way, and am glad you responded.

Rather, the questions I ask are quite relevant. These boards are full of threads asking questions about these topics. Many folks dream of opening their own business, but lack the 'apprenticeship' to teach them of the OTHER things they need to know. From your experience, you should be well positioned to address them.

Your original posts were also silent as to whether you had a particular niche you were filling, etc. Hence the reference to BICSI, etc.

I am sure others will also want to hear whatever you have to say regarding insurance, finding customers, etc.
Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 11:30 PM
well .. reno, all I can say is I carry a C10, at one time I carried a Journeyman Card .. which means very little to me.
I obtained several certificates many find to be an acceptance of accomplishment, those all became expired ..

I do carry a Bond , Business Liability Insurance of 2 million aggregate and am allowed by the state of california to work anywhere in this state as a electrical contractor working 600 volts and below.

That's all I got .. am I a valid electrician, yes .. Am I the best .. no.

I'm not sure what your trying to point out here ..?
Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/22/13 11:35 PM
Instead of this thread being about cross examining me .. how about just answering the question .. what's your electrical history .. just trying to see who's in the crowd.

sincerely, Mark
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 12:39 AM
OK, let us put the right track on here....
I'll start the inquiry...

Presently, AHJ/Chief Electrical Inspector or as NJ calls it.."Electrical Subcode Official"

Inclusive of Plan Review/Plan Check, etc. Twp of 100k pop.
Also. same responsibilitys P/T in a small Boro that was heavily damaged by superstorm Sandy.

Have been a P/T instructor of Electrical Trades courses at a County Vo-Tech; last year & this the enrollement has not been there.

Hold a NJ Electrical Contractor Lic & Business Permit. It is inactive since 2007 when I closed shop. Six men in the good times, 3 when I closed; we were an open shop. Primarily maintenance; troubleshooting; comm for select clients.

General economy outlook here in my area of NJ, as heard from several ECs, is 'good' to we're busy. Both IBEW and open shops.

No cross exams please. Take it to email or PMs

Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 12:47 AM
Thanks Hotline ..

Sounds like you have a good career going on ..")

The most workers I had was 15 years ago with 5 then in time once complaints of theft or the reality of missing wiring was discovered after drywall .. I just said forget it, I'll go solo .. besides my job basically became keeping them employed, and yes I did it legally with a payroll service .. so at 50, here I am , crawling under homes or up in attics and at times I do get clean work at a small business .. I do love it though, I enjoy being able to work with customers as opposed to being 1 of 50 electricians on a project ..wondering if I get a pink slip this week or next.

thanks for the share ..
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 12:56 AM
THere is something about dealing with the client that can give satisfaction. You have to have the personality for that.

And, yes, I do like my job, always did!!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 01:11 AM
Welcome to the board Mark.

You are still a pup compared to some of us.
I worked for IBM for 30 years and after an assortment of "computer" sort of jobs and when the writing was on the wall I pivoted to the construction side, building computer rooms and data connectivity around the building.
About 1990 I bumped into Harold Endean and the Secret Society of Electricians on Prodigy.
From there I started taking the NEC training that allowed me to be certified and licensed by the state while I was still building and LV wiring. IBM had me doing informal code seminars.
I retired from IBM in 1996.
I got the contract to be the state electrical inspector for 8 counties and I did it for 8 years.
Now I am really retired but I still like keeping up with the code.
I also think electricians are the fun people to hang out with.

BTW we really try to avoid politics religion and unions talk (pro or con).
It makes this a better place to be.
Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 01:26 AM
That's impressive gfret,

Computers and all the various data technology is an incredibly interesting subject .. that's a whole different animal, I suppose that's why I continue to work on the bulky stuff.

This Industry we all share is such a vast plain of opportunity, so many variation of the business.

pup ..") I'm feelin like a pretty old pup ,but thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 01:51 AM
The computer business and the electrical business are joined at the hip now anyway. You guys are seeing a whole lot more "smart" equipment. There is a microprocessor in your meter now along with a lot of that stuff with 750 Kcmil lugs on it.
I am sure you have, what I would have called an "enterprise mainframe", in your phone.

As I said, the writing was on the wall for me. Computers are not that room full of "sub zero refrigerator" sized boxes with 2000 cards each in them. It is a tiny little chip that is everywhere. Big computers just gang up a bunch of those chips.
There are still big computer rooms but big is relative. It is not an acre of raised floor but it has a bunch of computing power. It still needs a big a feeder coming in, distribution and a bunch of data lines, hence my pivot.
The rest is "cut open the box and plug in a new one".
Not very interesting.
Posted By: MarkC10 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/23/13 02:01 AM
I had the opportunity some years ago to work within a clean room of some facilities, one being Boeing .. I knew I was in for a whole new experience when I walked across the sticky pad on the entrance and learned of the intimidating ansul system that sucks all the oxygen out of the room within seconds .. that was comforting to know.

working within an environment of such intensity as far as potential liability was a very humbling experience.
Posted By: togol Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/26/13 12:03 AM
I'm back too, don't know how long I've been gone though.
Still retired and still wondering how I ever had time for a regular job. Anyway, hello to you all
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/26/13 07:24 PM
togol:
Welcome back from one of the 'Jersey guys'

Posted By: togol Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/26/13 09:50 PM
Howdy John, and thanks.

I see a lot of familiar names are still around
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 09/27/13 02:26 AM
Yes, some are here, alas, some are gone but not forgotten.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/02/13 11:02 AM

Care to share your electrical history .. ?

Heck Ya'! Story may become quite boring, so have a fresh pot of Coffee available...

First off, let me Date Myself (accumulated age date, not "Date Myself" as in I get dressed up, take myself to Dinner, etc...)

My "Handle" is ""Scott 35", which dates back to first enrollment as a Member of ECN on 10-19-2000, at an Age found by removing the Alpha-Portion of the User Name.
Formula for Date-Code Continuity = 12 days prior to 01/01/Current Year - 2000 + number of User Name

Been in the Trade & related Fields for a few Years: actually, been on jobs as far back as when I was "Scott 08"!
Father was an EC... Began in 1959; prior to this Change Of Life, He was a Carpenter.
Heard He got the "Electrical Influenza" from a very well-trained Commercial EC on a particular Project in late 1958.

As expected, I Grew up mostly around Construction Trades Persons, so not only did I pick up some skills of what the other Trades do, I also became very fluent in Profanity, Dirty Jokes, and various levels of Practical Jokes!
This was during the era when it was perfectly acceptable to drink Beer on the Job! In fact, I would be "Teased" for drinking Water or Soda, in lieu of Beer; so, when I was "Scott 14" I decided to comply to the requests, and experienced my very first Beer Buzz!
Next Day sucked big time, and the Beer thing got postponed to somewhere around "Scott 21"!!!

Work in the "Scott 12" through "Scott 23" era was a mix of Commercial, Industrial and Residential, with the majority of Project Bases in descending order.
Commercial portions being >60% Bank Branch related, with the remainder covering anything not being classified as "Financial Institutions", "Industrial" or 'Residential".
Industrial ranged quite vastly, while Residential held a "40-40-20" Percentile for 1 Family Tracts, Multi Family Dwellings, and Custom 1 Family Dwellings.

Began using Computers at "Scott 17". Machines were TRS-80 Models 1 and 2.
Model 1 was fun; used a Cassette Tape to Load Operating System + Programming in BASIC.
Model 2 used 8" DSDD Floppy Disks, ran apps written in BASIC under the "TRSDOS" Operating System.
Around the same time, decided it was time to begin the never-ending trek of Electrophysics and In-Gin-Earring... (still on the trek!!!)

Ran my first job at age "Scott 20", with a crew of 3 plus myself.
Compiled my first Electrical Design-Build Plan Set for a Commercial T.I. at "Scott 23". Plan Check corrections were to Design Lighting & Controls per CEC Title 24, Part 6, Chapter 5; plus include Interior Lighting Compliance Forms on Plan Set.
This led to understanding the concepts behind "a/b" switching, "slave/master" troffers, and the 2 Hour Manual Spring-Wound Override Timer for the HVAC!!!

By era "Scott 28", my Project Base became almost exclusively Commercial, with >80% Projects being oriented around Financial Institutions.
Computer usage moved up to 80286 based clones, then to an 80386SX-16 Machine, then to several flavors of 80486DX Machines.
Started to become more familiar with IBM ATMs & LAN equipment (lots of Type 2 Cabling!!!)
Design-Builds, Engineering and Consulting became more and more common, and by the era of "Scott 32", 50% of my Work was in the field, the other 50% in Design / Engineering / Consultation / Management (and Broom Pushing!!!).

Per the Y2K roll-Over situation, the Financial Associations were upgrading Data Systems for Compliance and Standardization.
Out went the IBM 4100 Systems (Controllers - Terminals, stand-alone Gateways, etc.), the old, yet very familiar IBM ATMs, the older Security Systems, the old Mosler Film Cameras, Telephone Systems, Training Stations, and everything I worked around for nearly 15 Years.

In came a new line of IBM Equipment, with a GUI Operating System... OS2/Warp!!! LAN Cabling went from Type 2 / Thinnet, to CAT-5 (CAT-3 for POTS Lines)
NEC ATMs, mostly Model 5685, but around 2002, the P86's began to be seen.

Worked with ADT for Security / CCTV System Design-Builds. Got really crazy circa "Scott 35" to "Scott 37", as this time period involved multiple CCTV / Security System Designs across California.
I was Designing at least 5 Branches each Day, 5 Days per week, with an ADT Rep, a Corporate Security Staff R&D Rep., and an Asbestos Testing Agent - all flying around some Retail Branch for up to 1.5 Hours!

Around "Scott 38", things began to slow down, and I found myself nearly exclusively in the Office.
My last days in the field (with tools on, installing stuff...) were between "Scott 39" and "Scott 42", and as of "Scott 43", the only site related stuff is per Surveys, Project Data Recording, Troubleshoots, Consultations, Inspection Walks, Final Commissioning and Closeout stuff.

Now "Scott 48" has returned to School, as that Beer I had per the "Scott 14" era influenced me to only study + learn a small fraction of the many things out there. wink

The adage: "The More I Learn, The Less I know" applies here, in a grand scale!!!

So, that's my story.

Along the way, I have met many different people; Good and Bad (fortunately, a very minimal number of Phallus Heads were encountered - but they sure left their mark!!!).
Worked with some of the most Talented and Capable People around - their Talents and Abilities were inspirational!
Lost nearly all of my closest and dearest Friends, due to various Health issues; namely Hepa-Related failures and HIV; but then Life tosses that Odd Ball one out, and kills someone just riding their Motorcycle.

My Wife and I are going on our 24th Year together. Back in January of 1990, I never thought She would stay with Me, but apparently She thought the same thing about me as well!!!

Time to grab that Pot of Coffee and Drink Up!!!

--Scott (EE)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/02/13 01:40 PM
Scott35 etc:
Eloquence to the 10th degree in a walk down memory lane!
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/04/13 10:01 PM
Just seen this string. I sometimes feel a bit of an intruder here so I'll explain myself. I'm an electrical engineer who found employment in military aerospace. In my positions, over 35 years, as well as aircraft systems I was extensively involved in operating development engineering laboratories. This brought me into contact with contracting installers who had to cope with unusual systems, such as low voltage DC and 400Hz AC. We worked quite well together, mutually helping each other with all sorts of new installations. Grounding systems were the most difficult; almost, though not quite black magic, but close to it! We were after all trying to emulate the solid aluminium airframe in a laboratory environment!
Now in semi retirement I still find an interest in the technology of electrical installations, and still do my own household work, although this is now contrary to UK legislation, - (don't tell anyone because I'll deny it).
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/05/13 05:37 AM
Deny what?...
Posted By: NickD Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/08/13 06:54 PM
Deny that he does electrical work on his own house.

I've been leery of posting in this thread because I wanted to remain somewhat secretive and anonymous... but I guess it wouldn't hurt, since I don't already have a bad rep here. grin

To say I'm an oddball would be a gross understatement.
I'm one of the youngest here, at 22, and I'm sure at least a couple of you will be surprised to hear that. (if I didn't reveal my age already?)
Despite my age, I am very old-school and don't intend to change. I might come off as an old curmudgeon at times...
My primary area is historical work - preservation and maintenance of older electrical systems and components, including "things that plug in". I'll admit that I am more familiar with electrical code from 70 years ago than that of a few years ago... I grew up reading old NECs and other electrical literature.
Do I have any credentials?
Are there any credentials for what I do? You tell me... smile

I work with and own hordes of stuff like the few items pictured below:
[Linked Image from scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]

[Linked Image from scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]

Posted By: NickD Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/08/13 07:14 PM
one more...

[Linked Image from scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/08/13 07:31 PM
Nice stuff!!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/26/13 10:09 PM
I guess I will pipe up here and re-introduce myself. I started working back in 1975 as a burglar/fire alarm installer, then I went to work for an EC in town and worked with him for 9 years as apprentice then to his foreman. Then I got my EC lic. in 1985 and started my own business back then worked my own business up to 4 trucks and 7 people at one time. Of my employees, 3 of them had their own EC lic and one had an HHS inspector lic. I got my own HHS inspector lic. back in 1995. I got the job as an AHJ for 4 different towns all part time since 1998. I also have filled in at least 10-15 different towns when they needed help. I have know Greg since the old Prodigy days same with Joe Tedesco. I am in north Jersey working, Morris County to be exact. I also sit on the Morris County Board of Construction.

That would be the place to would take an AHJ to dispute his judgement call. Also in all my towns, I do all the plane review and inspections and all the paper work that goes with the job.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/27/13 02:29 AM
I still have an Endean Electric T shirt. wink
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/27/13 03:33 AM
That's a rather impressive resume Harold
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 10/27/13 09:35 PM
OK, I'll jump in too:
Co. I worked at for 17+yrs closed in '81 (Supervisory)
Went to work at a local EC, and studied for the "Test"
Got my EC Lic in '85
Started as one-man; grew to 4 trucks & 8 guys over the years.
Took the 'Inspectors' classes & Tests; ICS/HHS, Subcode, Construction Official in '91
Did a stint at a local Vo-Tech teaching Electrical Trades on a part time basis.
Did a stint as a CEU Instructor for ECs and Inspectors with a local Inspectors Association.

Currently, one full time AHJ and two PT towns. Same duties as Harold basically. Full time twp is 5000++ permits a year; PT towns are both under 1000 each.

And...I never had an Endean Electric Tee shirt!!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/11/13 03:57 PM
Sparky,

Thank you for the compliment, but I just had to do what I needed to do to keep food on my table as do all the rest of us here. The reason for the HHS lic. was that when Greg and I were on Prodigy, we met each other and started a website such as this one. We had Joe Tedesco as our base leader and he trained us and taught us the NEC. AFter that I went for the HHS in oreder to make me a better contractor. I thought that some day I might be an inspector but I never thought it would happen so soon after getting the license.

My friend was the AHJ here and in 1997 we suffered a heart attack, So one of my employees who had his HHS lic. took over for him until he got well enough to come back to work. The following year he had his 3rd and final heart attack. That was when the town asked me to take it over. Then again in 2005 one of my construction officials who was good friends with a county freeholder threw my name in and I was given a place on the Morris County Construction Board of Appeals.

I have very blessed over these years and I thank the Lord above, for all the good fortune that has come my way.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/11/13 03:58 PM
John,

What is your lic. #? I got mine in '85 also and I went to Clark NJ to get it. My # is 7257.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/11/13 09:30 PM
OK, a little more...
Electrical Contractors Lic & BP #8209
Inspector, etc. #5989

Guy I worked for was # 0005
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/12/13 12:01 AM
Posted By: harold endean Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/14/13 03:46 AM
John,

I knew 2 people with lic.# less than 150. I believe one was 112 and the other was 125. Having a single digit for a contractor lic. number usually meant that you were on the board that started the licensing program. I believe the big union outfit called Devon electric, his number was 50 or something like that.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/14/13 02:45 PM
I don't know if he (#5) was on the Board. I believe he was 'grandfathered in with others that were established as 'electricians' when the Licensing regs were adopted.

The 'newbies' here (NJ) are in the 17xxx numbers.

Harold, does "Ben S" sound familiar? Or, Sol Frankel??
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/15/13 11:25 PM
It's been a long time, but I thought I would stop by and say Hello. I hope all the old timers are doing well.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Introduce yourself .. - 11/16/13 03:16 AM
Watts Up Doc? smile Are you busy down there? How about construction in general? If so, what kind of work is going on right now?

Here in northern NJ we are still quite busy. Generators is the number one thing going on here. After super storm Sandy, so many people were left without power and they were off line for up to 2 weeks. Mostly the 10-20 KW gen and 95% is Generac gensets and transfer switches. The rest is Kohler with a few more like Honeywell and ASCO.

We do have a few 9,000 sq ft houses being built and a few PV systems, in ground pools too are still moving. Mostley people are fixing up what they got with new kitchens, basement, baths,etc.
© ECN Electrical Forums