ECN Forum
Posted By: rowdyrudy Why There Are Problems! - 01/16/03 02:47 PM
I was requested to assist in a legal matter involving electrical in a city in the southern area. My review revealed 4/S boxes w/double duplex, and connected w/NM lying on the ground. NM running on the surface of the ground in many instances. 4/S boxes w/doubles mounted on walls, trees, posts, etc with cube taps and in one case, 12 ex cords connected to one box. NM stapled to sides of buildings, posts, and trees. This is just a minor list of problems. I took more than 500 photos which have been delivered to counsel. Hopefully, after litigation, I will have access to the photos for posting.
The key in this matter is that the so-called electricians who did this are also city employees and ELECTRICAL INSPECTORS for the city! The lawsuit, or settlement, is going to be interesting.
Rowdy
Posted By: sparky Re: Why There Are Problems! - 01/16/03 09:29 PM
i applaud your efforts, and would like to see your findings Rowdy.

do you think that the powers that be will realize the level of incompetence and thus safety?

or is a body count necessary?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Why There Are Problems! - 01/17/03 03:28 AM
Rudy:
Sounds like a real mess.
Over here (NJ) the State is very strict on the conflict of interest thing.
If you are an inspector, you cannot work in the town you inspect in, or any town that "touches" it. Cut & dry.

I am a part time AHJ, and operate my EC business, and I stay "real clear" of the town that I AHJ in.

Please let us/me know the outcome.

John
Posted By: bobp Re: Why There Are Problems! - 01/17/03 02:17 PM
Wish I could say the same around here as Hotline. I see several jobs a year where an AHJ has done some work (usually without permits) to the standards above. After all, they're the "experts".

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums