ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Underground splice kit - 06/02/13 12:23 AM
Anybody know of a different splice kit for underground other than the shrink tube type? I don't really like them and figure there's gotta be a better way. I looked at the "Polaris Blue" kind but I haven't found the right one. I've got one 10/3 with ground going to one 10/2 with ground. It was put in a shrink type originally and has lasted probably 20 or more years, but I'd like to replace it with some other kind that's easier and more efficient. This was on a customer's A/C unit. thanks....
Posted By: KJay Re: Underground splice kit - 06/02/13 01:47 AM
I think I actually prefer the heat shrink splices compared to the other types I've used.
I tried the Etcon proSplice kits a few times and really did not like them. They are the ones where you screw the two halves of the shell together over the splice block. They felt very cheesy and I just never trusted them to make a reliable watertight direct burial splice.
I've also seen some other splice kits now that look kind of similar to the old style 3M splices where you mix the little bags of epoxy and pour it in the splice tube, but I don't know if those are designed for UF cables where you have the bare EGC to splice.

Etcon proSplice
Posted By: harold endean Re: Underground splice kit - 06/02/13 04:09 PM
Sparky,

I used to use the ones that KJay talks about with the epoxy. You got a small bag of epoxy and this torpedo looking tube with 2 ports on top. You make your splice, lay it inside the tube, using the funnel that comes with the kit, fill the whole tube up with the epoxy. It used to work just fine for me. They whole splice is encapsulated in epoxy.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Underground splice kit - 06/02/13 09:38 PM
Sounds like what the Telco Guys use when they do an underground splice.
Posted By: twh Re: Underground splice kit - 06/02/13 11:51 PM
My favorite:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...GELWRAP-UF-250-UL/202204329#.Uau9o6DXZv8

Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Underground splice kit - 06/03/13 10:24 PM
Yup, gel splices are highly recommended, as are the epoxy ones.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Underground splice kit - 06/04/13 06:11 PM
Yep, I'm going to have to try one of the above mentioned. I've used the type with the 2 funnels before on small 16/3 cord, but not on UF cable. I was looking at one at the supply house the other day, and wasn't sure it would work for big 10/3 UF cable. I went with the schrink tube again. Still don't like it using a blow torch. I guess I need to buy me a good heat gun. The blow torch tends to get too hot, and then if I miss a lick, I hit the wire, and they ain't good. ....
Posted By: KJay Re: Underground splice kit - 06/04/13 09:02 PM
Sparky, do you use one of these for installing your splice kits?
I started using one of these heat shrink torches several years ago use for the same reason you mentioned. It helps prevent accidentally burning the outer UF jacket and shrink tube. You still could if you're not paying attention, but it produces a much larger, softer flame that is more dispersed than the regular torches they sell at the plumbing supply houses and hardware stores.

Epco Heat Shrink Torch
Posted By: harold endean Re: Underground splice kit - 06/05/13 02:39 AM
This is the splice kit I have used in the past:

http://www.shop3m.com/80610981567.html

I hope it goes through. The one I used was for regular voltage wires, not high voltage. Though I am sure you could use it.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Underground splice kit - 06/05/13 09:12 PM
Kjay, I just have one of the regular torches you buy at hardware stores. At the price of the nozzle you posted, I might could buy me a heat gun, don't know though, I haven't priced them yet.
Harold, I used that kind for splicing 16/3, but I don't know if it would work for cable or not. Thanks
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Underground splice kit - 06/07/13 11:05 AM
Heat guns, at least basic non-thermostat models are dirt cheap and even the cheapes China models last surprisingly long. Mine is more than 10 years old now and cost €29 back then (roughly $40). I don't use it on a daily basis, but if I do use it then it's for paint stripping, so it might run for hours on end. It always sounds like the cheap bearings are about to give up but it works like a charm. I expect at some point either the motor or the switch will fail, that's how most cheap hairdryers bite the dust (also had some fan blades break).
Posted By: sparkync Re: Underground splice kit - 06/07/13 03:27 PM
I guess a heat gun will work on the shrink kits want it?? I've never used one so I don't know. Hope it gets hot enough.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Underground splice kit - 06/08/13 02:53 PM
Should do. Some heatshrink tubing can even be done with a hairdryer and heatguns get MUCH hotter.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Underground splice kit - 06/08/13 04:57 PM
When I did the splices for my well pump it looked like about all a propane torch could handle. This was not typical shrink tube. I was also not really impressed with them. I guess it is working but I am not sure how I would know. These are not on a GFCI
Posted By: harold endean Re: Underground splice kit - 06/08/13 11:03 PM
Sparky,

I have used that splice kit for many types of underground repairs for years and I have never had a call back because of them. Is it UL listed for the application? Not sure, too many years ago to remember.
© ECN Electrical Forums