ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Tired of Broken Spools? - 04/24/13 02:05 AM
Look at this re-invention by Southwire:

http://www.simpullsolutions.com/circuit-wire/how-it-works.htm

I'd love to hear some first-hand feedback ... and whether it's available in coils smaller than the 2000-ft ones shown.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tired of Broken Spools? - 04/24/13 02:37 AM
Reno:
I've seen the ads, read the reports, etc. I am not aware of any of the ECs is my area using this system yet.

SimPull is the 'choice' for a few ECs for feeders; solid color insulation, easy pull, paralleled, etc. Heck, I even saw 750KCMil, Cu, Green!!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tired of Broken Spools? - 04/24/13 02:50 AM
That coil pack brings back memories of the TW in the cardboard boxes with the 'center' payout hole. BTW, bad memories.
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Tired of Broken Spools? - 04/24/13 04:07 AM

I watched a guy wiring tract homes using boxed Romex. He'd throw a bunch of boxes on the floor at the panel, cut the center out of the box and drag a bunch of home runs across the attic at once. What a mess.

The guy on the posted link is using a ratchet bender. WAY too much work. I used to use one of those and then graduated to a hydraulic fliptop with the hand pump.
Still a ton of labor. Finally forked out for the electric pump and things have been great ever since.
Posted By: schenimann Re: Tired of Broken Spools? - 04/25/13 03:51 AM
The Simpull rep was at our local CED a few days ago with a sample of the wire "reels". It seemed to pull off pretty nice. It comes off without being messy. A manufacturing procedure that they have proprietary rights to. He said the way it is coiled is the kicker to it being better than some of the older systems.
© ECN Electrical Forums