ECN Forum
Posted By: wewire2 Floor Boxes and Cable Management - 12/15/12 06:48 AM
The scenario is a 12 foot long 4 legged conference table with removable leaves in the center to make it shorter. The table is in the center of a room in a commercial building. There needs to be a 120V receptacle, data, telephone and TV to the table. They don't know the single specific spot where the cables will need to go on the table at this point but want them run under the table for future use. Was thinking of mounting the floor outlets dead center of the table footprint. Looking for advice on a orderly way to manage the cables from the floor to the tabletop. There will be feet kicking around down there so I'm thinking there needs to be some protective measures to consider. Also looking for recommendations on a floor box system to use for this application in a wood framed floor with carpet. How would you handle this?
Thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Floor Boxes and Cable Management - 12/15/12 08:17 PM
I have seen just a floor box, centered on the table with a duplex recept and data/comm jacks that the tenant connects to.

I have seen the power/data wiring run up through the hollow end table support on a fixed in place table from a floor box that the hollow support fits over, with a removable panel for access.

I have not seen what any tenents 'arrange' from a floor box to the table top as far as protection from legs of those seated. Probably just cables hanging.

IMHO, your responsibility ends at the receptacle and jacks, not the utilization equipment.

Boxes? Try Carlon, they have nice dual use boxes, multi gangable & divided.

Posted By: wewire2 Re: Floor Boxes and Cable Management - 12/17/12 02:02 AM
Thanks john. I was thinking there might be some newfangled conference table wiring harness on the market that I hadn't heard of yet. It seems that since the table is movable and adjustable the options are limited.
Posted By: techie Re: Floor Boxes and Cable Management - 02/02/13 10:44 AM
There are various types of cable wraps available. I personally like the woven plastic (chinese finger puzzle) types, but there are zip types as well.. Alpha Wire makes a bunch.
For floor boxes, I like the ones that have a flip-down section for the cable. When not in use, there is no hole, only the rim, and a pull-up bail to open the box.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Floor Boxes and Cable Management - 02/02/13 06:02 PM
There is a new install in one of my towns. There will be very large conference tables with connections for power/telco/data either built into the table or coming up through a hollow table leg. I haven't inspected this job yet, but when I do, I will get pictures.
© ECN Electrical Forums