ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 seperate system - 01/13/03 04:36 AM
A customer has resquested that instead of the usual generator/transfer switch for his new home, he wants (if possible)a 4 or 6 ckt 100a main breaker panel to be powered by a generator. From this panel he wants to feed 5 or 6 receps scattered through the house. Has anyone here ever done this in a house? What code sections apply?It sounds logical but I've never run across this one before. Also he wants to run his gas furnace in case of a power outage. I'm not sure how to switch the furnace from utility to generator,maybe a small trans fer switch of some kind? Any input would be appreciated. Russell
Posted By: Trainwire Re: seperate system - 01/13/03 11:10 AM
Our local supply house has small transfer switches, Murray's I think. That would work for a one or two loads like the furnace. although personally I would put the fridge and freezer on the generator too. The rest would just be wired to code. Maybe use a different color wall plate to show emergency use?

TW
Posted By: sparky Re: seperate system - 01/13/03 12:26 PM
ga.sparky56,
a dedicated sub-panel via T-switch? Ronk makes a number of just such switches 1-800-221-RONK , they'll send you a catalog.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: seperate system - 01/14/03 12:10 AM
Thanks to both of you!
© ECN Electrical Forums