ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkyinak Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 02:59 AM
I am looking for a unique nut that I have seen before but cant find. I have seen them in older panels, not sure the brand. they looked like throwing stars for a lack of better terms that were on the studs in a panel tub that could be spun with a screw driver to bring the guts flush to the front. Im building a custom control panel where the mounting plate needs to be adjusted after the install. Any thoughts of where I could find this type of a nut?
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 03:46 AM
Junk panel, or maybe McMaster-Carr, they have a lot of odd stuff.

www.mcmaster.com
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 04:53 AM
Sounds like a larger Zinsco panel
Posted By: LarryC Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 05:26 AM
Can you use a nylock on the underside of the panel and just a regular hex nut on the topside of the panel?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 07:29 PM
Thanx for the suggestions. Mcmacter Carr was the first place I looked. I'm not sure what a nylock is. Thanx for the info. Any other suggestions,I'm all ears
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 10:19 PM
nylock is the name for the nut with the nylon insert for it that acts as a locknut.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/29/12 10:36 PM
Just thinking would a hardware retailer like Fastenal have the hardware your looking for.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 01:45 AM
The nylocks won't work because the mounting plate will be in the way and it has to be adjusted after wiring and installation. Something got tweaked on my last one despite careful measuring and it wont be an easy fix
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 07:47 AM
Jerry,
This is a rather "ball-park" guess, but you aren't looking for these are you?

[color:#3333FF][b]Star Nut[/b][/color]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 08:18 AM
I got that google hit too but those are the nuts you drive into the end of a pipe or tube to screw a foot or other widget into. A common use is the foot on a steel table leg.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 09:59 AM
Thanx guys for the effort and suggestions. The one I was thinking of is if you can imagine, a washer about 1=1/4 inch in diameter that is notched about 8 times around the edge. The center hole is rolled up a little and threaded with like a 3/8-16 thread that is first spun down on a threaded stud. The mounting plate goes over the stud and rests on this "star nut". the depth of the panel is then adjusted with a screwdriver via the notches sticking out from behind the mounting plate, One the proper depth is set via the "star nuts", a regular washer and nut is spun on and tighten down to secure everything into place.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 02:29 PM
sparkyinak:
An outside shot of a possible source may be a panel fab here in NJ...Gavin Graham Co.

www.gavingraham.com
Posted By: KJay Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/30/12 03:18 PM
If you can’t find what you’re looking for, what about maybe taking a stack of the large washers with an oversized bolt hole and notching them in a star pattern on a band saw, then spot welding flat round speed nuts [A.K.A. Tinnermans nut] with the needed thread size centered in the oversized bolt hole.
The flat round speed nuts I’m referring to are at the bottom of this page.
Flat Round Speed Nuts

They also make what are called flat anchor nuts and flat weld nuts, but they aren’t exactly what I would call flat, so don't know if they would work.
Flat Anchor Nuts
Flat Weld Nuts

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/31/12 06:49 AM
Thanx for the thoughts ans suggestions. Im gonna likly buy an acetylene set tomorrow. Its a good excuse to buy cool tools arrr-ARRR-Arrrrrr!!!. Plan is like KJay mentioned. Im gonna braze a BA fender washer on a nut and notch it with a bandsaw then paint them with cold galvinize paint. Ill post pics on my pic account
Posted By: mikesh Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/31/12 07:37 PM
A machine shop with a circle punch into 1/8 flat mild steel and drill and tap the center. Or find an extrat thick washer that you can tap.
Posted By: KJay Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 01/31/12 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Thanx for the thoughts ans suggestions. Im gonna likly buy an acetylene set tomorrow. Its a good excuse to buy cool tools arrr-ARRR-Arrrrrr!!!. Plan is like KJay mentioned. Im gonna braze a BA fender washer on a nut and notch it with a bandsaw then paint them with cold galvinize paint. Ill post pics on my pic account

I was looking for some screws on McMaster’s website this morning and stumbled across these large weld nuts that may possibly work for your project. It’s item 98007A029 on page 3216 of their online catalog. They say these are 1-1/2-inch diameter and only 7/32-inch thick for the 1/4-20 size or 1/8-inch thick for the 10-32 size. They are also stainless steel.

The edges look like they have squared areas that you might be able to catch and turn with a flat blade screwdriver. If not, maybe a bent tip awl or O-ring removal tool could be used in the holes to turn them instead.
Large Weld Nuts
Posted By: electure Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/01/12 01:01 AM
Is there a reason that you couldn't use standard 3/8-16 hexnuts and fender washers?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/01/12 01:16 AM
I can't use a standard nut because I may not be able to able to reach the nut to adjust it if needed. Kjay, you may be onto something, Thanx!
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/09/12 09:16 AM
Well, after running out of time and despite some great suggestions, I was not able to find a ready made nut so I broke down and made some. Besides here, I hit up my engineering co-workers and couldn't come up with something. Finally on the last day and the second to last step, a coworker came up and said couldn't I just cut out some aluminium disks like 3/8" to 1/2" thick then tap the center? That would have worked perfectly but I wouldn't had the excuse of buy a gas welder... laugh

link to pics

I brazed 1/2" flange nuts onto 1/2" x 2" fender washers. It was very hard getting even heat as you can see on the unpainted fender washers but I did get some good pentetration. 20 plus years of no brazing didn't help either. I then cut the knotches with a bandsaw then spray painted with cold Galvanize paint.

With the panel installed, you can see how the nuts can be adjusted after installation. I have about a +- 1/4" of play for the panel.

Thanx again for everyones input
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/09/12 02:14 PM
Sparkyinak:
Nice work!! Did ya happen to try Gavin Graham?
They used that type nut in a lot of their panels, & control panels years back.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/09/12 06:44 PM
Thanx. I have not heard of Galvin Fraham. I'll look that up later
Posted By: LarryC Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/09/12 07:20 PM
AK,

Nice looking work in the nut creation and the panels too.

Larry C
Posted By: KJay Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/10/12 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Well, after running out of time and despite some great suggestions, I was not able to find a ready made nut so I broke down and made some. Besides here, I hit up my engineering co-workers and couldn't come up with something. Finally on the last day and the second to last step, a coworker came up and said couldn't I just cut out some aluminium disks like 3/8" to 1/2" thick then tap the center? That would have worked perfectly but I wouldn't had the excuse of buy a gas welder... laugh

link to pics

I brazed 1/2" flange nuts onto 1/2" x 2" fender washers. It was very hard getting even heat as you can see on the unpainted fender washers but I did get some good pentetration. 20 plus years of no brazing didn't help either. I then cut the knotches with a bandsaw then spray painted with cold Galvanize paint.

With the panel installed, you can see how the nuts can be adjusted after installation. I have about a +- 1/4" of play for the panel.

Thanx again for everyones input

Looks to me like they came out pretty nice. What type/brand of rod and flux did you end up using?

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Looking for a unique adjustment nut - 02/10/12 08:27 AM
Thanx guys. The rod (read off of PO) 15FC-low fuming bronze flux coating brazing rod 3/32 rod. Not sure about the maker of the rods.

Assembling the panel today with these nuts. They sure made the QOU breakers line up nicely and easy with the cabinet cover so the handles stick out
© ECN Electrical Forums