ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Generators - 11/18/11 12:22 PM
I'm in the process of installing a 14KW Kohler automatic standby generator for a customer. The customer purchaced the generator on-line from one of the many on-line sellers.
It is Kohler model 14RESL with the 100 amp RRT 16 circuit transfer switch. I've been told that the 14RESL was specifically designed and built to be sold at Lowe's and that the RESL unit has some different inferior parts as compared to the standard Kohler 14RES model.

Does anyone have experience with the differences between the RESL and the RES models?

shortcircuit
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generators - 11/18/11 03:08 PM
On the same note, and NOT pertaining to the generator, I was told a while back by a B&D/DeWalt tech that the 'HD' within the model # was not 'heavy duty'; it signified a model made exclusively for HD.

Comments continued that the 'quality; of the internal parts were not the same as the model without the 'HD'. In lieu of rebuilding that cordless drill, I opted for a 'factory refurb'!

The same may be true with other items.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 11/18/11 06:35 PM
The answer might be in the parts catalog.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Generators - 11/20/11 12:31 AM
Today I found that the RESL has a different digital control panel (DC) as compared to the RES which has the (RDC) panel. The RDC has more remote control options. Also the warranty is different for the RES as compared to the RESL. The RESL has no warranty when used off grid for power...

shortcircuit
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generators - 11/21/11 02:30 PM
short:

"The RESL has no warranty when used off grid for power..."

That makes absolutely no sense. Why have a standby gen??

Posted By: jdevlin Re: Generators - 11/21/11 03:27 PM
If it is useed off grid for power then it is not a standby unit. It is in continuous use.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 11/28/11 03:29 AM
Most people will buy a generator to use when their power goes out. If a generator is not listed for off line usage, then what good is it for?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generators - 11/28/11 03:41 AM
Do they mean that the gen is not for continuous use??
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generators - 11/28/11 03:49 AM
Do they mean that the gen is not for continuous use??
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 11/28/11 04:26 AM
I assume these are consumer grade generators with lawn mower quality engines. They will warranty it for a reasonably long time if they assume it is going to be collecting dust in the shed most of the time, like most homeowner generators.

I know the construction guys went through these generators pretty fast if they were prairie building somewhere and running them 8-10 hours a day.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 11/28/11 02:49 PM
I have also seen where the general public can buy the generator for the same or less money than the EC can buy from a supplier. I just wonder if the warranty or service would be the same?
© ECN Electrical Forums