ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 06:23 AM
Date:1/2/2003
Time:2:10:34 PM (CST)
Name:Mario Zamora
E-mail: mario@pluggrip.com

Comments: I was wondering if I can send you a sample of one of our products. Many electrical/building inspectors enjoy our products. I would be happy to send you one free of charge. You can look at them at
http://www.pluggrip.com

Thanks,
mario zamora
pluggrip products
559-562-9363
Posted By: lwinter31 Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 07:02 AM
Second pic shows a
Feed through method?

Since I always pigtail outlets, I have to ask does anybody use this "feed through" method on a 20A circuit? If the device is rated at 15A, what now is the remainder of the circuit rated?

I beleive this creates a weak link for downstream loads.

The tool seems to be geared toward the "Working Hot" issue. Looks like a good gadget for replacment purposes, if you have to work it hot.
Posted By: sparky Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 12:16 PM
they sent me one, via site info, a while back.....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-03-2003).]
Sparky,
AND??????
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 01:27 PM
Another solution in search of a problem.

At least, he has the receptacle right end up. [Linked Image]
I just sent in my "request for freebie" I have a guy that works with me occasionally and this would be great for him. The concept of clean hands seems to escape him and usually white gfci's end up a shade of "dirty hand gray" when he installs them. This may help!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 02:57 PM
Seems like the company got their pictures backwards.

Apparently their "plug grip pro" only grabs the outlet by the grounding pins...while the normal plug grip (with the indicator lights)is what Joe posted.

[Linked Image from pluggrip.com]

You'd think the one with more features (like indicator lights would be the "pro" version. [Linked Image]

How come the thing doesn't pull out of the outlet when you're pulling the whole thing out of the box or is it designed for pushing the device back in?

Are the plug pins slightly oversized to compensate for badly worn outlets?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-03-2003).]
Posted By: BurnOut Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 06:44 PM
QUOTE: At least, he has the receptacle right end up.

My brother and I were discussing about this right end up on receptacles...After finding an old Black and Decker book with the images of the receptacles with the ground up..

But then why are receptacles still mounted with the ground down?
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 09:28 PM
I always mount my receptacles horizontally with the grounds to the right. Yes it is a case of that is how I was taught so that's how I'll always do it.
Here we go again....
Posted By: arseegee Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/03/03 11:56 PM
QUOTE: At least, he has the receptacle right end up.

Yeah, that's how pros do it. And then they wrap the conductors around the screw the WRONG way!
Nice pick up Arseegee!!! I didn't notice that when I first looked, but that's a sure sign of someone(homeowner) that hasn't put in many devices.

As for ground up or down. It's down on any of my jobs.
Posted By: frank Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/04/03 04:14 AM
90 degree cord caps or stainless steel face plates.Now where did I put that damn crystal ball?

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 01-03-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/04/03 12:59 PM
I carry around an unwired Hubbell cord cap for this purpose. It works quite well, and in a pinch, it can also be used as a cord cap.

The only things that have gotten more repeat playings than the up or down question are the Star Spangled Banner, Light My Fire by the Doors, and possibly NEC250-32
Posted By: Sandro Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/04/03 02:09 PM
Down. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/04/03 07:11 PM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]
Posted By: Jim M Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/04/03 08:23 PM
Nice pic, this ends the up/down argument now doesn't it.

<threadjack>
With the proliferation of more and more transformer driven devices, maybe its time for a redesign of the duplex? What do you think would work? How about 2 side by side with wider spacing similar to the surge strips?

I know this creates a compatibility problem for retrofits and also a potential for box sizing, but, the benefits could be worth it.

Jim
Posted By: Format_C: Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/05/03 02:50 AM
Ah the transformer. I hate em. they are on every thing now.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/05/03 06:28 AM
I've used a (very) few products that came with transformers such as this:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

The one shown on this web site is an interesting idea...

[Linked Image] Speaking of the "which way up" question, here is the famous thread with the very graphic example of why.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 01-05-2003).]
Well they have great customer service (or they are really trying to move these things) I e-mailed Friday and received two free samples today (Monday)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/07/03 02:42 AM
E-scott—

Did they toss in a twist-lock version too?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/07/03 02:50 AM
E-scott—

How about a surge-protector version?
Posted By: wageoghe Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/07/03 03:02 PM
Herrington Catalog sells very short ( and probably very overpriced ) extension cords designed to "Liberate your Power Strip from Transformer Tyranny". Seems like a reasonable idea.
http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/t748.html

It is much easier these days to find outlet strips that have transformer friendly outlets so that there is probably less of a "need" for these mini extension cords.

Then there was the recent post for Leviton's new transformer/phone jack device to more easily mount wall/cordless phones.
Posted By: C-H Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/07/03 03:30 PM
The transformer tyranny is soon over. Today the small lightweight switching power supplies are at the same price as the conventional transformers, but with much better performance. Expect those heavy wall warts to be gone altogether in five years. Better still, most seem to accept 90-264V and any frequency. Nice when travelling or moving.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/07/03 04:13 PM
I've made up a few of those little extension cords for wall warts using short pieces of extra lamp cord leftovers.

At home I use them for the wall warts for my cordless phone base, answering machine, etc.

At work I have two - one for my portable radio/CD-player combo and one for the power supply to the speaker-phone on my desk.

Since I have a ton of Nema 1-15 male and female caps at home, it actually does come out cheaper than those pre-made ones.

I usually use #18 gauge cord since these things usually consume somewhere in the area of a couple of watts (two or three at the most) and the transformer/rectifier packs are all un-grounded with non-polarized plug pins.

C-H:

As far as SMPSs go, I don't think we'll see the old style x-former based power packs go away any time soon.

For example, you wouldn't wan to use a SMPS for a portable TV or radio. In my experience these things produce too much RF interference. Not good for something designed to pick up radio signals.

However for things like video games, portable CD players, calculators, battery rechargers etc. they sure are a blessing in terms of size reduction. It's a long way from the old AC/DC tube radios that use a big dropper resistor in series with the tube filaments.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-07-2003).]
Posted By: strangedog Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/09/03 02:20 PM
Sounds like you need Dr. Ferd's wart remover . Musicians have been using these for years.

[Linked Image from img.musiciansfriend.com]

SD

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 01-09-2003).]
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/09/03 09:53 PM
Shop around. Those transformer adapters are available fairly cheap and 2 weeks ago, I bought a hand full for $2.99 each at this computer store.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0106917
Posted By: iwire Re: Send for Pluggrip "Free of Charge"! - 01/09/03 11:33 PM
lwinter31, a quality 15 amp receptical is rated 20 amp feed tru, but I pigtail on the rough too, mostly for speed of the finish.
© ECN Electrical Forums