ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Barn wiring - 05/29/11 03:06 AM
Went to do an inspection on a farm and found this behind an out building. I guess the cows must have messed with the installation when we weren't looking. smile

Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 05/29/11 03:28 AM
Bill,

Did I do this right?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Barn wiring - 05/29/11 04:11 AM
Got a problem with posting something, Harold?
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Barn wiring - 05/29/11 05:16 AM
Looks like the cows took off with everything!!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Barn wiring - 05/29/11 04:53 PM
Harold,

You need to paste a code into your post for the picture to appear.

Look at the following thread for more info on this:

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/183427

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 05/30/11 02:41 AM
Bill,

My boys tell me I am a dinosaur when it comes to Internet and computers. My peers tell me that I am a computer wizard because I know so much about computers. ( Or compared to them.) smile

So you are saying, I have to go back to my pictures on electrical-photos and add the new pictures to my album?

I will go there now and try to upload my pictures again.

Wish me luck! smile
Posted By: dougwells Re: Barn wiring - 05/30/11 03:03 AM
I wish ya luck, if not i see your pics on electrical-photos and can help smile
i wonder if the HD guy sold him that 90 ell fitting smile
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 05/30/11 03:30 AM
OK, I clicked on the link page. Lets see if that does it.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Barn wiring - 05/30/11 03:52 AM
humm i tried to insert your image into the first post but just the code shows not the image
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Barn wiring - 05/30/11 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by harold endean
Bill,

So you are saying, I have to go back to my pictures on electrical-photos and add the new pictures to my album?

I will go there now and try to upload my pictures again...
Harold,

You only have to upload them once, you've already done that. I'll try to give you a step by step how to proceed from there.

After you've uploaded the pictures to Electrical-Photos.com go to one of them and click on the little icon as shown below:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

After you've clicked on that you should see several more little windows appear with codes in them.
Each one does something different.
For this I'll pick the one that says 'Linked Medium' and I'll copy the code in that window - see below:

OK, I've got that copied and will paste it into my post below.
Instead of seeing the code you will see the picture:

How about using this as a practice thread, post some of the different codes so you can see what they do, and then start another thread with the pictures as you want and we'll carry on from there?

Let me know if I didn't explain something clearly enough.

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 02:14 AM
Bill,

You have explained clearly, I am just a Dufus when it comes to computers. I will try to up load another picture.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 02:31 AM
Harold:

Nice pipe job. Is that irrigation??

Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 02:32 AM
John,

NAW, it was an electrical line from one barn to another. I just wish I can figure out how to post the pictures here easily.

Or else I can send them to you to post. smile
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 03:02 AM
Bill,

I tried something else. Did that work?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 03:02 AM
Bill,

DUH! I forgot to tell you what I sent. The name is What is this?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Barn wiring - 06/01/11 03:21 AM
Harold,

Check your email.

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/06/11 01:35 PM
I have to get my son to look at my work to see what stupid thing I am doing wrong. My home PC was acting up and it kept locking up. I think we got that resolved.

Gas powered things hate me and so does computers. My kids tell me this all the time. Thank God I can at least do wiring! smile
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/08/11 02:32 AM

How did I do?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/08/11 02:38 AM
Bill,

I got my computer working again, I had a bad video card. Also my son fixed it for me, ( after calling me a dinosaur) and electronically incompetent. I think I know my mistake now. I will try to upload more pictures and try it again.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Barn wiring - 06/08/11 03:21 AM

How did I do?

You Done Good!

thumbs

smile
Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/10/11 01:17 PM
Bill, are you going to move this post over to the photo gallery? Or leave it here?
Posted By: Admin Re: Barn wiring - 06/10/11 02:39 PM
Bill, are you going to move this post over to the photo gallery? Or leave it here?
Harold,

I thought you'd use this one for practice posting pictures and start a fresh one without all the back and forth?

Let me know what you want to do.

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 02:14 PM
What are these?

Let me try again. See if this works.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 02:16 PM
Bill,

I think I got it. That light bulb in my head just turned on! smile
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 02:19 PM
Silicone filled wire nuts for outside use?

I think I have seen something like that from GB in the Big Box stores here in Canada
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 05:34 PM
They look like the old porcelain predecessor to the modern wire nut. They had spiral grooves inside to grip the wires instead of a spring.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 06:05 PM
Harold:
I think Ed has it nailed!
Posted By: uksparx Re: Barn wiring - 06/17/11 06:12 PM
We had something like that here in the UK many years ago, they were called Scruits. The same porcelain with a spiral inside - then they were banned. After that we moved to the twin screw "choc block" type, now we are going towards the Wago type push in connectors, strange how ideas of what is good or bad changes with time.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/22/11 03:37 AM
John,

Ed has it correct. They are old porcelain wire nuts. They were plentiful around here. In some of my towns, there are real old homes that are 100-200 years old with K&T wiring. There is an old piece of armor cable that use to be used around here. I wish I still kept a piece of it. It was very difficult to work with. I will ask around the supply house and see if anyone can find some.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Barn wiring - 06/22/11 01:30 PM
Harold:

Old AC, with real steel armour, spiral wound real tight, almost like a double layer. RH insulation on the conductors, and an overwrap of some type of fabric. Is that what you mean?

Posted By: EV607797 Re: Barn wiring - 06/22/11 06:02 PM
And don't forget that there were usually four of these cables in a pancake box supported by a gas pipe (often live). The soldered splices and friction tape always made for a fun time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Barn wiring - 06/22/11 06:33 PM
EV607797:

Down memory lane again,
Mant years back, working in a multi-family 3 story, OLD tenement house in Newark, NJ. Apprentice was on 3rd floor, taking down the hall light fixtures, and was told..."don't mess with the gas pipe". Well, he removed the cap from the gas nipple, and then hit a 'hot' conductor with his channellocks; instant flamethrower!!

Luckly, I got the gas to the building shut off quickly, or we could have had a real problem.

Memories!!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Barn wiring - 06/22/11 09:00 PM
Yep, been there, done that. In my instance, there was no ignition, but we were told repeatedly by the GC that all gas service to the building was disconnected. Oh boy was he wrong. I had to clean out my pants after that one.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 06/30/11 03:55 AM
John,

Yeah that old AC cable is the one that I was talking about. That old stuff was very hard to cut with a hacksaw. That was the way we had to cut Ac cable back then.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Barn wiring - 06/30/11 02:41 PM
Harold:

"That was the way we had to cut Ac cable back then"

Yes, and then along came the first 'Roto-Split'....did ya love it??

"
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Barn wiring - 06/30/11 06:17 PM
I think you will still find these porcelain wire nuts in the wiring box of a range or wall oven
Posted By: harold endean Re: Barn wiring - 07/04/11 03:54 PM
Greg,

Other than on old jobs, I haven't seen those porcelain wire nuts anywhere else. The wall ovens and ranges we used to work with either had terminals (ranges) or flying leads. (wall ovens)
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Barn wiring - 07/04/11 08:15 PM
I ran into them when I was replacing the burner socket on an old Whirlpool cooktop. It was 105c wire and the white porcelain nuts
© ECN Electrical Forums