ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean This Board - 12/30/02 04:17 AM
I just want say one thing. I have been on MANY discusion boards for many years. Joe T can attest to that. I think that THIS board is very professional, pleasant, and considerate to each other. There isn't much flaming, name calling and belly aching about each other as there is in other boards. I visit many boards and I offer my 2 cents, but some other boards are almost hostile about anyone who offers a different opinion. That is a shame because if the are 100 different people, you will have 100 different opinons. We all have to respect the other opinion, and if you think it is wrong, then try to guide that person, toward the right direction. We all know that even if "we" think that we are right and we think that the other person is wrong, we can try to steer them in the correct direction with out being mean. Sometimes the also have a way at looking at somthing that we don't see. They can offer a differant way of looking at somthing. So in closing I just want to thank this board for being kind, coniderate, and nice to people who are really looking for some help in electrical work. ( I am getting off my soap box. I just left another board so please forgive me.)

Harold
Posted By: bobp Re: This Board - 12/30/02 04:32 AM
Harold,
Wonderfully stated.
Bob
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: This Board - 12/30/02 04:34 AM
Harold, the people on this board make want to continue to better myself and do my job to the highest professional standards! Thanks to everyone for ansering my dumb questions. Russell
Posted By: sparky Re: This Board - 12/30/02 12:49 PM
Harold,
most eloquent.....
Posted By: sparkync Re: This Board - 12/30/02 01:04 PM
I agree 100%. I appreciate the input that I get here. I have been in the trade for almost 32 years, but there is a lot I don't know and a lot I have forgot. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a "know it all". I need the input and expertise from others who have dealt with situations in more detail than I have. I believe with the combined effort of us all and "professional courtesy", we can do our jobs better and possibly save ourselves and others from "electrical dangers" that are associated with our trade [Linked Image] Thanks again to all who participate in this forum and other forums also. You have been a great help to me [Linked Image]
Steve....
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: This Board - 12/30/02 01:24 PM
I couldn't agree more!
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: This Board - 12/30/02 02:23 PM
Thankyou for articulating this so clearly, Harold. The carrot in front of the head is better than the 2x4 upside the head.

[Linked Image]

Al
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: This Board - 12/30/02 02:28 PM
Harold:

I am very happy that you feel this way about ECN and Bob will also be proud.

I dare those who would flame us, to come here and give it a try, they will be short lived for sure!!

Does anyone remember those who are banned from our shop?
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-30-2002).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: This Board - 12/30/02 04:05 PM
Mr. Endean:

Thank you for your posting--very well put, indeed.

Also, thanks for the professional guidance you had given me (via e-mail) -- I'm still looking...
Posted By: circuit man Re: This Board - 12/31/02 01:06 AM
great wording there harold!these are a great group of guys & gals they all make you feel comfortable , even with what may seem a dumb question. but the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. just my two cents worth.
Posted By: Scotts Re: This Board - 12/31/02 01:21 AM
Harold,

Well put.

This is the first forum that I have ever joined. I have just recently joined one for salt water aquariums. While the knowledege is there on the other forum, the sense of fun is not.

I have enjoyed learning many new things, sharing any knowledge (little) that I have and also having in general a good time.

I can thank all or you, and Joe T., for the enjoyment.

Scott
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: This Board - 12/31/02 01:43 AM
Harold:
Eloquent(?) and very well stated.
I fell into this forum by accident on night.
and have been coming back every chance I get. It's nice to "talk" to a bunch of people, any "smart asxxx" around. I try to reply with my opinions to anyone who raeds it, and have had a few e-mail conversations with individuals. I met you here, we conversed, shared info, etc. I bust WV66 (Virgils) chops, & BTW, I think that he is an excellent craftsman, and would be a good AHJ.

I like what I do for a living (EC & AHJ), and have "sparks" in my blood. I like to share opinions with others in the trade, and I APPRECIATE the answers that I get to my posts.

This is s great site with great members.

Harold, the Fedex guy is returning your soap box.
John
Posted By: harold endean Re: This Board - 12/31/02 03:19 AM
Oh GEE, shucks! Thanks Guys. I just had to say it. I was on another board last night and they were all flaming one another. So I left there to come back here where things are more peaceful. P.S. John, my wife works for UPS. [Linked Image] I will let them deleiver the soap box.
Posted By: electure Re: This Board - 12/31/02 12:20 PM
Joe,
Yes we remember the banished. (Especially the handyman from Pennsylvania).
My mere posting of the first 3 letters of his screen name brought an immediate response from a long time member a few weeks ago (when another "arsonist" was getting his just reward)
I must disagree on one point though. I wouldn't challenge them to try and flame us...I'd just rather they STAY AWAY!...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-31-2002).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: This Board - 12/31/02 02:23 PM
AMEN!
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: This Board - 12/31/02 04:26 PM
May I add my "AMEN" to Harold's fine message. I have been coming here for over a year, and have learned a lot. I'm not a contractor, but some of the questions and answers from this board help me make decisions in my engineering job. These are a bunch of good people on this board. i also visit othe boards, and on some there are so many flames, I just leave. Someone has already said there are many ways to "skin a cat" (I know you cat lovers will have fun with that one).
Anyways, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.
Posted By: Currently Re: This Board - 12/31/02 06:54 PM
Yup,
This site is responsive and productive.
Amen to the moderated atmosphere we have here.
The answers, knowledge and wisdom I get here
is priceless.

Happy and Prosperous New Year everybody!
Posted By: pauluk Re: This Board - 01/01/03 04:08 PM
Yep, it's a nice atmosphere in here. We have people from various branches and sub-branches of the trade, each with his (or her) own particular areas of expertise, and it's nice that those working in one branch don't seem to look down their noses at those from other branches who don't have quite the same degree of insight into a particular problem.

Helping each other out is what it's all about!
Posted By: AMP Re: This Board - 01/01/03 05:32 PM
I would like to say something about this board.
I have only been a member for a couple of weeks. I am a newbie to this board and I am somewhat a newbie to electrical work. I have asked questions that have probably been asked thousands of times and I always get a pleasant response from the veterans.

No one ever says "Amp, we've answered that question numerous times. You need to read thru the old posts for your answer".

They also never say "Amp, that is the stupidest question I have ever heard".

I really enjoy coming to this board. The members here are always willing to share experiences and expertise. I know that when I post a question, someone will give me an answer....not an attitude.

Everyone here is willing to help newbies and I really appreciate that.

So on that note, I would like to thank the people who created this board and those who are members. After all, a board is only as good as it's members and this one is the best I have seen.

Thank you all [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: This Board - 01/01/03 09:55 PM
Amp:
First, let me join in welcoming you to ECN.
Now, remember that no question is "a stupid question", and the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.
This is a great place, and Harold said it all most eloquently (?spelling)
I reread my first reply on this thread, and it needs a re-write for spelling and grammar.
Best part is, no one made any comments on the boo boo's.
John
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: This Board - 01/02/03 01:12 AM
<mug of root beer in hand>
To all at ECN, I raise my glass.

Here, here,
Doc
Posted By: Currently Re: This Board - 01/03/03 12:05 AM
I agree with the comments made above about "stupid questions"

Stupid questions are never asked ....

Signs of these are:

OOOHHH SH*%!
Palm slapping the forehead...
Everyone around you is pointing and laughing.
Incident becomes local legend.
You have 10 pairs of eyes staring at the back of your neck while you are trying to fix the ...
Everyone clears out while the boss is walking rapidly towards you.
It's gonna cost some bucks....

I'm sure these guys can add to the list <grin>

Just remember that ignorance can be cured,
stupidity on the other hand, ...
Posted By: Scotts Re: This Board - 01/03/03 01:18 AM
Currently,

You reminded me of a time when we were having some renovations done at our industrial plant. I told the GC that I was going to Carl's Jr. for a breakfast burrito and to please not blow the place up while I was gone. I came back to see half the lights out in the plant and the entire construction crew looking at the saw cut where the concrete cutter had cut. The image of the lights out and 8 guys looking at the floor just cracked me up.

it turns out the when the building was built they did not bury the conduit deep enough so the cutter sawed through the lines for the lighting in half the plant. All worked out in then end.

Scott
© ECN Electrical Forums