ECN Forum
Posted By: AMP What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 03:08 PM
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and somewhat new to electrical work. I was an Electrician's apprentice a few years ago and I am taking my test in January for my license. I love doing electrical work especially repair and troubleshooting (believe it or not).

My preference on tools and testers is Greenlee. I do own some tools made by GB,but the quality doesn't compare. I own the GET-1200 (circuit tracker)by GB and I find it hard to use.I'm just wondering what some of the veterans use.

Thanks and have a good day. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 03:40 PM
Klein, Greenlee, Ideal

That's what you'll find me using and I'll bet you get the same answer from most othewrs here. If you want your tools to last and perform, it does matter who made them in this field. I'm sure we've all been sucked into buying a GB tool or 2, just to find there really was a good reason for the price diference.
Posted By: AMP Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 03:47 PM
Yeah it proves the old saying "You get what you pay for".
Posted By: spyder Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 04:41 PM
I am with ElectricEagle,

Klein, Greenlee, and Ideal. I do like GBs 1/2" EMT bender with bubble level.
Posted By: gramps Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 05:29 PM
klein, greenlee, ideal, craftsman, and fluke.
Posted By: Sandro Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 06:05 PM
I'm with the rest of the gang...you will find nothing but Klein and Ideal in my tool bag. Greenlee makes awesome quality stuff too. These are quality brands and well worth the money for serious professionals.

Since we're on the subject of tools, I might add that we love our Makita power and cordless tools too. The new 24V Makita MAKSTAR line is simply amazing and built well.
Posted By: CRW Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 08:33 PM
Klein for side cutters, dikes, screwdrivers, Ideal strippers, Channel-lock tongue & groove pliers, Fluke meters and testers. Craftsman for misc. tools--files, socket sets, wrenches, tape measures, because when they break you can usually trade them back in no questions asked.
Posted By: arseegee Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/29/02 11:04 PM
Klein hand tools, Stanley tapes, lots of Sharpies, Dewalt and Craftsman power tools, Greenlee KO kits.

Now for benders... I use GB benders and love 'em. About half of my employees use Ideal benders and hate GB benders. I guess it's like the ford vs chevy thing.
Posted By: go-go Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/30/02 02:28 AM
Klein,Milwaukee,Fluke meters.
Posted By: harold endean Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/30/02 03:56 AM
Hey Amp,

Welcome to the board.
I was a contractor for 15 years and now I am an inspector and I also have to go with the guys here. I used Klein, Ideal, Gardner-Bender, Amprobe, and all of the common names that most supply houses would stock. However for some hand tools, I would also recommend, Craftsman. For power tools, Bosh, Porter Cable, Milwaulukee.

Harold

I think I spelled that wrong. [Linked Image]
Posted By: JCooper Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/31/02 04:39 AM
I use all Klien hand tools, Fluke for all the testers and Milwauke power tools, and my brand new Rotozip, haven't gotten a change to play with it.
Posted By: electure Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/31/02 11:45 AM
Has anyone (besides me) tried the "Fat Max" hand tools by Stanley? First I got a tape measure, then a hammer, a keyhole saw, and liked them all so well that I bought a set of wood chisels.
I use Klein, Fluke, Ideal same as the rest here (although my C-locks are C-lock, Crescent wrenches are Crescent...you get the idea).
Power tools are either Milwaukee or Milwaukee [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/31/02 10:10 PM
Electure, yes I use a Fat Max 25ft tape and a Fat Max keyhole saw. They are the best.
Posted By: Roger Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 12/31/02 10:15 PM
I think I own a tool of every manufacturer listed in the above posts. But when it comes to a bucket, I just grab what the painter or sheet rock people leave behind. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: NonLinearLoad Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/01/03 09:27 PM
Happy New Year Everybody!

Get what you pay for!
Klein, Greenlee, Ideal, Fluke, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Milwaukee, break often- cheap generics, Lennox, Ace Hardware.

Panasonic-- do a lot of EMT?, cutting the stuff by hacksaw kills the hands, and your knee if you lock in a ladder for the portable vise.
Panasonic has one hell of a metal cutting saw that is absolutely perfect for EMT!!!

And, believe it or not, the cordless drill selection is an awesome investment.

The 1/2" cordless drill/metal cutting saw kit was one of my best tool purchases ever. The drill has got torque as well as adequate rpm, bull-work or trimming it fits the bill.
The saw has cut down piping job times emensely, not to mention how my hands feel. Besides being able to cut a piece of pipe up in the ceiling in a jiff, as opposed to trying to use a hacksaw.

But, don't cut any kind of wood with that nice blade, or over 3/4" consistantly, rigid is not to good of an idea either. You can use it on anything, but too much heavy work kills the edge on the not so cheap blades in a heartbeat.

NonLinearLoad
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/02/03 02:05 AM
Ideal sidecutters. I have used Klein, but I like the Ideals because they have a more narrow "nose", and there is no "break in" time when you buy them. For most other hand tools I use Klein. I use Ideal benders, and Dewalt cordless tools. As far as power tools are concerned, I have to go with Milwaukee. Greenlee is unbeatable when it comes to hydraulic benders, "slug buster" knock out cutters, and "sidewinder" type benders. I have to give a thumbs up to Rigid for all threading equipment, tripod vices, etc.
My personal multimeter is a Fluke, but the company bought me a Greenlee, and I could take it, or leave it. I would never buy one for myself. I've tried many tape measures, but I've always gone back to Stanely.
I used to have a "Spartan" hacksaw until someone decided that they wanted it more than me. Since I lost that saw, I've had 3 or 4 different kinds, and would give 10 of each to get my old Spartan back. It had "Wolt Electric" engraved on the top of the handle....man I loved that saw...
I have a 12 year old Klein tool bag that simply will not give up the ghost. That was one of the best $25 that I ever spent. I also have a Klein (leather) tool pouch that my Dad bought in the 70's. It looks terrible, but it just won't die, and I don't have the heart to throw it out.
I do have a few off brand tools, not many, that found their way into my bag. A "Husky" screw driver (#2 phillips, 8" shank) that has passed many tests, so I allowed it to stay. I think I paid 3 bucks for it.
I could talk about tools for days.

Hope it helps,
Doc
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/03/03 03:20 AM
Doc,
If you install a lot of devices check out the Husky square drive. I use to use the square drive on my Klein 10 in 1 but got tired of the bit always getting stuck in the hole and falling on the floor. Speaking of the 10 in 1 I keep it in my Klein canvas zipper bag that I use when I have to crawl into tight spaces with a minimum of baggage.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/03/03 04:53 AM
Klein, Ideal, Wiha, Irazola and a multitude of other German brands.
I only purchase tools that originate from either the US or Germany, will not even touch tools that come from the Orient, they are made for the Handyman(infrequent use),I have used these tools in the past, they last about 5 minutes!.
I look for longevity in tools, not best price. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/03/03 10:06 PM
I have an assortment of brands for various items: Klein, Ideal, Stanley, CK, and some which are branded for the seller specifically, such as Jensen (made by Stanley) and Axminster.

I agree with Trumpy's sentiments on buying U.S. and German hand tools, although we do still make some decent tools in the U.K. as well. As for anything stamped "Made in China," steer well clear. It will just end up in the trash sooner or later (most probably sooner).
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: What brand of tools do you use? - 01/03/03 10:33 PM
Another good US brand is Xcelite. Geared more toward the lighter-duty electronics market, as opposed to heavier electrical work. They make very good quality nutdrivers (including some with VERY long shafts) and screwdrivers, as well as the only decent interchangeable blade tool/handle system I have come across (99-series). Needle nose and diagonal cutters are pretty decent, as well.
© ECN Electrical Forums