ECN Forum
Posted By: KJay SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/20/11 10:00 PM
So, very early this morning, I was awakened by a drumming sound coming from outside my second floor bedroom window. I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes while hoofing it down the stairs and out the door. I look up and I see this little black and white woodpecker about 6" long, pecking away on my service cable. I shooed him away, but the little bugger had already punched a hole, dead center, right through the outer PVC jacket.
I filled the hole he made with silicone as a temporary repair, but now it looks like I have yet another project to do when the weather warms up, that being changing my service. I think now I will probably switch from SE cable to PVC pipe and wire.
After almost 30-years in the trade, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of, or seen a woodpecker attacking SE cable before, until now. Is this something that happens often in some areas?
Do you go out of your way to avoid using SE cables because of situations like this?
Posted By: dougwells Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/20/11 11:14 PM
I am glad we dont have such a cable in Canada smile
Posted By: wire_twister Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 03:20 AM
Never heard of a woodpecker attacking an SE cable. I do go out of my way to not use SE at all. Unless a customer refuses to have it on their house, I always install a mast. The big enemy here seems to be UV radiation, it degrades the outer jacket, and when it cracks water wicks into the meter base which is never good.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 03:38 AM
Usually a woodpecker only goes after something if they see a bug in there so it may have already been compromised.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 03:52 AM
Woodpeckers are misunderstood. Here's why they peck:

They will zero in on anything cylinrdical, thinking it's a tree, branch, or root. Their first few pecks are intended to make sound; they're listening for an echo that tells them there's a hollow space under the bark. They will then drill a series of holes, until they catch up to the bug that made the tunnel.

That's what the woodpecker is following - the gap between the outer jacket and the conductors. They'll also be fooled by dry / empty irrigation tubing.

Article 110 states that wires need to be protected from mechanical damage. IMO, this general provision trumps any general provision that mights say, for example, that SE can be used for service drops. I maintain that if woodpeckers are a problem -as evidenced by the damage to the wires - code would require additional protection for the wires. Simply using an 'approved' method isn't automatically enough to meet 110. That's my take.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by dougwells
I am glad we dont have such a cable in Canada smile

I am glad SE cable is not in PG&E's Greenbook as allowed for a service, whistle so it is not used anymore any existing SE cable is 50-60 years old.
Posted By: sparky Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 12:14 PM
wouldn't s/he be an electricalpecker?

~S~
Posted By: harold endean Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 01:29 PM
I never had a woodpecker bother any electrical work, but squirrels on the other hand would always chew my plastic drip irrigation pipe. When I first turn them on for the season, there is water shooting out every where.
Posted By: mikesh Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 05:06 PM
Doug We do have SE in Canada but can't use it for an OH service. See Table 19 page 311 Fro service entry below ground. Need mechanical protection above ground.
Posted By: dougwells Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 05:19 PM
Thanks Mikesh, I do remember a USE cable years ago but some how i thought is was restricted to mobile home parks at that time hmmm
Posted By: gfretwell Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 07:25 PM
wouldn't s/he be an electricalpecker?

That is a whole 'nother thing. wink
Posted By: KJay Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 07:48 PM
It’s going to be a dead electricalpecker very soon, if this type of thing starts to be a regular occurrence.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 08:57 PM
Don't let a neighbor see you. They are federally protected.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/21/11 09:46 PM
Kjay, I am shocked. Simply shocked.

Or is it Woody who is shocked? laugh
Posted By: pooL8 Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/22/11 11:20 AM
Sounds like a Downy woodpecker. They have black stripes covering their eyes and a little patch of red on the back of their head. Why? ask them.
I'm gonna side with the bird and say that there was definately a bug in there.

That's what they do for a living!
They're pros.

Our climatized animal senses are very weak compared to our wild brethren. And so we can't even comprehend.
That bird could probably smell bug sh/t in your wire from a mile away.

What is SE cable anyway?
What does SE stand for?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/22/11 01:37 PM
Service Entrance cable.

A glorified 'romex' type cable. Two hots and a neutral- no ground. Rated for sunlight and wet exposure.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/22/11 02:30 PM
Time for a design review maybe? wink

European cables are fairly solid entities with their rubber filler around the conductors, so I doubt a woodpecker would consider them hollow.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/22/11 05:15 PM
SE cable actually has the neutral strands wrapped around the ungrounded conductors so it forms a degree of metal armor under the PVC jacket.
Posted By: KJay Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/22/11 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Don't let a neighbor see you. They are federally protected.

What if I promise it will be quick and merciful?

I never thought I’d have to worry about my house burning down because of a little bird that could fit in the palm of my hand. I guess I’m glad I was there to see it, so I know to keep checking things out until I can get around to doing a service change.
Posted By: noderaser Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/23/11 05:42 AM
My parents have lots of woodpeckers in their area, which is not great because they have a house with log siding. One thing they've found that seems to keep them from pecking holes in the house, is to hang CDs from fishing line on the eaves around where they like to hang out. The flashing/reflection as they move around drives them away. Order a bunch of AOL cds and put them on/around your drop?
Posted By: dougwells Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/23/11 07:22 AM
AOL still have CD's ?? LOL
Posted By: noderaser Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/24/11 01:55 AM
Every now and then, I see them in a display at a store. Back in the day, that was a cheap way to get floppies!
Posted By: pooL8 Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/24/11 09:23 AM
SE --> service entrance crazy
oh okay... I've seen them here in Canada... in a couple of older mobile home courts. But I've only seen them burried. It threw me for a loop when I first saw one...

Posted By: harold endean Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/26/11 11:29 PM
KJay,

Maybe you can buy that woodpecker a one way ticket to NJ? smile
Posted By: KJay Re: SE Cable vs Woodpecker - 03/27/11 12:23 AM
I just might, if I ever lay eyes on him again. Are they in short supply down there?

I wonder if maybe a potato launcher would be able to get him to the state line? smile
© ECN Electrical Forums