ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/29/11 06:14 PM
FYI, I plan on doing a Forum Upgrade sometime tonight. It's been awhile since it's been done here.

Nothing major going to change, just some small Fixes.

** This doesn't affect the Live Chat area, that will function as normal. - NOTE to those that may not know, that requires a separate registration and login process.

Hopefully all will go smoothly and we'll be back online as soon as possible.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 07:38 AM
OK, I think we're Good!

Let me know of any new issues.

Bill
smile
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 06:18 PM
One New thing we have is Twitter & Facebook buttons at the bottom of every Thread.

I'm not sure what to do with them, but we have them laugh

smile
Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 08:32 PM
Something I've been playing with is making the links in the 'Active Topics' page go to the beginning of a thread instead of the last post.

I just changed 'Active topics' links to Beginning for purposes of this Poll, If you don't know what I mean you can compare with Links in the 'Recent posts' (in Left Column) which link to Last Post

Would the 'Active Topics' page change be a Good Thing?

Posted By: dougwells Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 08:51 PM
I have always like go to first new post on a thread on multiple forums smile
Posted By: georgestolz Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Webmaster
OK, I think we're Good!

It's not good ... it's GREAT! smile
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by dougwells
Doug,

My aim is to give both options. It always bothered me that the text link went to the last post, but no one else had brought that up (until recently when George mentioned it).

There's a little Arrow that appears on some threads in Active Topics ([Linked Image]) which says 'Jump to New Posts' when you put the mouse on it, but I think it went to the first post (maybe on the last page?) I'd like to get that 'fixed' so both options would be there - I just have to 'Hack' into things a bit ... smile (and am not sure what I'm doing .... crazy )

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by georgestolz
OK, I think we're Good!

It's not good ... it's GREAT! smile
Ahh!

Just thinking about sending you a PM for your input on this (as you brought it up)... smile

BTW, the individual Forum Pages list the recently active topics in order (stickies trump though) with text links pointing to beginning and last post date (right side) goes to last post in that thread.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/30/11 11:59 PM

Right now I've got the Arrow ([Linked Image]) always there, and linking to the Newest Post, and Text Link goes to beginning of thread.

How's that work for you? Anybody?

Bill

P.S. If this arrangement works for everyone I can probably change the Arrow to some kind of 'New Post' Button so it's obvious what it's for.
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 05:27 AM
P.S. If this arrangement works for everyone I can probably change the Arrow to some kind of 'New Post' Button so it's obvious what it's for.

Update,

'New Post' Button installed.

Comments... Votes...?

Bill
Posted By: dougwells Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 05:58 AM
We need a new post smile I dont see any new post icon yet
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 06:16 AM
We need a new post smile I dont see any new post icon yet

Doug,

Go to the 'Active Topics' page see >> [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: dougwells Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 06:45 AM
Ahh there they are smile
Posted By: dougwells Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 06:47 AM
do we have a "mark forum read " button
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 07:01 AM
do we have a "mark forum read " button

Yes,

Look down and to the left .... under 'who's online', you'll see 'Mark all read'

Bill
smile
Posted By: dougwells Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 07:45 AM
Nice smile
Posted By: georgestolz Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 02:57 PM
Nice, but does it send me to the last post or the first newest post? I don't think I got on last night...?

ETA: Also, the new post button remains after looking at the thread on my end. No problem, just weird.
Posted By: sabrown Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 05:05 PM
The tweet box is an annoyance for me as it is blocked for us, thus making navigation more difficult, but I'll live. Thanks for all the good wark and making this site available.

Shane
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 07:16 PM
Nice, but does it send me to the last post or the first newest post? I don't think I got on last night...?

ETA: Also, the new post button remains after looking at the thread on my end. No problem, just weird.

George,

Right now the button probably sends you to the last post, I'm not 100% sure on that. It doesn't dissapear as a compromise to the effect the changes have on the 'Active Posts' page.

I still have a few different tweaks I can try, and we can pick the best result. I'd like to get more input on what I've done before I try the next modification.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 01/31/11 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by sabrown
The tweet box is an annoyance for me as it is blocked for us, thus making navigation more difficult, but I'll live. Thanks for all the good wark and making this site available.

Shane

Shane,

Do you mean the 'Shout Box'? What is happening, (or not happening) that makes navigation more difficult?

Does turning off the left column (in 'My Stuff' >> 'Edit Preferences') solve the problem?

please explain a bit more,

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/01/11 03:58 PM

OK, Phase 2...

'Active Topics' page >> [Linked Image] should only appear for (logged in) Members if there is a new post in that thread they have not read.

Last Post, or First Newest Post dunno ... let me know

Awaiting Feedback...

Bill
Posted By: sabrown Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/01/11 06:24 PM
The shout box is fine. It is the tweet box. The tweet website is one of those blocked/restricted/unapproved sites for the Federal Government (it would do the same if it was facebook). As we block the site, a message comes up stating the we are being rerouted to a secure site (our own) and the popup window stating this shows up in the way when trying to go back to previous views without allowing the change to the previous view. A quick double click on the back button allows you to jump past the popup warning.

Note: This is not a problem with your site but our site blocking system.

Thanks for the concern.
Shane
Posted By: sabrown Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/01/11 06:31 PM
Interesting, I always click no on the popup, but if I click yes our restricted "Access to this site is restricted in accordance with the USDA policy on Web content filtering." page comes up in the twitter box and a single click will allow me to "back" navigate without the popup or having to double click. I hope that this is not the only hing new I learn today.

Shane

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/01/11 07:44 PM
Tweets & face are not allowed via my office (work) PC either, Twp rules for now.

And, I'm not a twitter person or a facebook guy from home base either.
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/01/11 07:49 PM
The shout box is fine. It is the tweet box. The tweet website is one of those blocked/restricted/unapproved sites for the Federal Government (it would do the same if it was facebook). As we block the site, a message comes up stating the we are being rerouted to a secure site (our own) and the popup window stating this shows up in the way when trying to go back to previous views without allowing the change to the previous view. A quick double click on the back button allows you to jump past the popup warning.

Note: This is not a problem with your site but our site blocking system.

Thanks for the concern.
Shane

Shane,

I'm looking into workaround options.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/02/11 01:50 AM
FYI:

I've turned off the Twitter & FaceBook Buttons until I can find a workaround.

Bill
smile
Posted By: georgestolz Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/03/11 02:44 AM
Awaiting Feedback...

Good good good. smile

The "New Posts" link seems to be working almost perfectly!

One weird thing (minor), some folks posted in some ancient threads, and I think the forum got confused. My thought is, it was a very old thread, but the forum didn't know if I had read the thread or not. I clicked on "New Posts" and it started from the beginning.

I just found the "Mark Forums Read" button you alluded to earlier. Post something in an old thread after I'm gone, I'm curious to see what happens when I click the "New Posts" link on an old thread now. smile

(Not trying to nitpick, it's scientific curiosity. wink )
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/03/11 03:28 AM
Post something in an old thread after I'm gone, I'm curious to see what happens when I click the "New Posts" link on an old thread now. smile

(Not trying to nitpick, it's scientific curiosity. wink )

Sure, but you Gotta Leave First! wink

Just kidding...

Will Do
smile
Bill
Posted By: sabrown Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/04/11 04:55 PM
Thanks for removing the twitter, it is enjoyable to bounce around again.

Shane
Posted By: Admin Re: ** FORUM UPGRADE ** - 02/05/11 05:05 AM
Thanks for removing the twitter, it is enjoyable to bounce around again.

Shane

Shane,

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I certainly don't want people having problems accessing the Forums.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums