ECN Forum
Posted By: ThinkGood Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 12:59 AM
I see these sold by a certain chain of stores:

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

It's a GB product. Is such a thing OK to use according to the NEC?
Posted By: nesparky Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 01:40 AM
Have had no problem using those splices. Just be sure the splice is water proof before you bury it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 02:55 AM
I've used this product. Its a brilliant idea and has worked well for me. A excellent product to keep in the truck for those surprise service calls. Don't forget to carry some source of heat so that you can heat shrink the connection.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 03:24 AM
Just never try to use it on telephone connections under ground, while using the crimp on waterproof connectors. I had to splice a cut telephone line a while back, got the lines working, put the shrink tube on and heated it up, told the homeowner to check his lines, and they didn't work. Had to cut it loose again to find out why, and the heat had melted the connections and broke the wire [Linked Image] I know better now [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 04:14 AM
I've used those things, too, with no problems yet.

I do wonder how they meet the accessibility requirements of the NEC, though....
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 07:47 AM
NJwirenut,
Accessibility?? How is any different than other insulated connections such as a taped split bolt?
Don
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 01:24 PM
Wow! What a bunch of quick responses!

sparkync:

I think you're referring to Scotchloks:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Back to my original question, as NJwirenut was asking, does the waterproof underground UF splice kit comply with the NEC? Is there such a rule for underground splices of UF cable?

resqcapt19:
Are you using rubber tape with a liner or vinyl tape? Your thoughts on both?

Sandro:
That would be pretty embarrassing to forget a means of heating up the tubing [Linked Image]

I think that where possible, conduit is the best way to go so the cable (or conductors, depending on what is being used) can be replaced from one end to the other.
Posted By: walrus Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 02:29 PM
Equipment that I install for monitering underground fuel and gas tanks supplies Scotchlocks for their connections in a Exp Prf Box. In Maine these boxes are almost always wet due to ground water or condensation. Scotchlocks seem to hold up but I prefer barrel crimps and 3M epoxy packs. It takes patience and experience to use the Epoxy packs right in my line of work but they generally hold up better.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 02:57 PM
A taped split bolt splice would hopefully be located inside an accessible junction box or trough. This product is made to be buried in the ground, with no indication of it's location once buried....
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 03:09 PM
If you really want to get serious, check this out . 3M makes similar products (they even store data in them...I guess it's like an underground computer chip...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 12-25-2002).]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Underground Splices? - 12/25/02 09:56 PM
Yes, since you guys mentioned it, Scotch Locks are amazing too. I do plenty of telephone and alarm work and Scotch Locks save me lots of trouble and time. They are water proof too.

3M has some brilliant ideas.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Underground Splices? - 12/27/02 04:59 AM
I quite like them 3M cable jointing kits,have used them more times than I care to remember.
They give a really good seal, provided you follow the instructions.
After you have done a few, they are just like learning to ride a bike, really, its simple!.
I remember using 4 of these kits all on the same job, and on the same Neutral-Screened cable, too!.
Excavator Operators, Eh?. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums