ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/18/11 01:28 AM
I'm looking to set the forum to a fixed width so that it looks the same to everyone and not cramped or stretched out.

Please give me an idea what your screen resolution width is (or closest selection)

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/18/11 06:57 AM
OK, Poll results so far tell me 1200 wide is not good for a lot of people.

I put it back the way it was. It may look a little stretched out to some, and maybe a little cramped to others, but it should fit everyones' screen unless there's a large picture in the thread.

BTW, you have the option to turn off the left column in your preferences if it suits you.

Thanks for the feedback,

Bill
Posted By: jdevlin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/18/11 04:43 PM
I was wondering why I had to scroll yesterday. I didn't remember seeing any large pictures.
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 04:12 AM
FYI,

I just made an adjustment in the 'Photos Submitted Forum' that removed the left column for threads in that forum.

This should mean (almost) no one would have to scroll back and forth when we have larger (800px wide) pictures in those threads?

Here's one >> Thread with 800px wide picture & no Column

Compare with >> Thread with 800px wide Picture & Left Column

Does anyone see a difference there?

Or... would you rather have the column back again?

Let me know what you think (and include screen resolution in response please)

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 01:09 PM
Bill,

I have to scroll horizontally with the left column intact, so I'd rather not have it shown with the picture threads.

I'm viewing with a 1440 X 900 screen.
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by electure
Bill,

I have to scroll horizontally with the left column intact, so I'd rather not have it shown with the picture threads.

Are you sure you're at 1400 (window maximixed)?

I tried looking at the pages with different resolutions and as far as I could see anything @ 1152 or above didn't have to scroll on a thread with side column and 800px picture.

Bill

P.S. - Just had a thought... what style are you using here at the Forum?
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 06:46 PM
I'm using three different screens: office 1152, home 1024, netbook (travelling) 1024. I think, with more than 1024 it is getting difficult for anybody above 45.

Style: simply default
Posted By: Scott35 Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 07:51 PM
Bill,

I viewed both of the linked examples from the Photos Submitted Forum.

Images are fine in either case - with or without the Left-Side Column. (no scrolling needed to view the 800 pixel wide image for both examples).

Viewed with Monitor Resolution of 1440 x 900 PX.

BTW, Selected Style = UBB-Dark.

-- Scott
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/19/11 08:15 PM
Bill,

Upon further study here, I'll bet you're using the UBB stock style (the yellow one), is that right?

It seems there's something quirky with the post window itself if a 800px picture (or a quote) is in it. Even at 1600w it has a scroll bar even though there's plenty of whitespace to the right.

I'll check into the style code later and see if I can figure out what's going on there.

Bill
smile
Posted By: electure Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/20/11 01:53 AM
Bill,
I'm using the koniro style when I'm signed in. (I've always liked blue) When I'm not signed in, it's ubbcentral.

This morning I got a scroll bar, but this afternoon I'm not. Both the "sample" pages fit perfectly on my screen.
Did you do something to them?

I must be looney crazy

I checked my monitor settings and sure enough, they're set to 1440X900.

Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/20/11 02:01 AM
Bill,
This morning I got a scroll bar, but this afternoon I'm not. Both the "sample" pages fit perfectly on my screen.
Did you do something to them?
Nana Nana Nana Nana... (<< Twilight Zone) dunno

I haven't done anything since last night.

I do see an issue with the yellow style as I said. I'll look at that tonight.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/20/11 02:54 AM
Bill,
I have 3 different monitors here on computers that all connect to the internet.
I have a 22" wide-screen, a 19" standard screen and a 17" standard screen (all LCD and run off seperate computers).
I have them set to the highest resolution possible with their Operating systems.
To be honest, I've never had a problem with viewing things on this site, although back in the day when I had a single 15" CRT monitor, things looked so small! grin

As a rule, most of the things posted in the Electrical Pics Area (electricalpics.com) should by rights re-size themselves to 800 x 600 pixels.

Having said all of the above, I had used the UBB Dark theme here since the upgrade, I had a play around the other day and I found the koniro theme.
It was like a breath of fresh air, I'm going to stick with this one for a while. cool

Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/20/11 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Bill,
I have 3 different monitors here on computers that all connect to the internet.
I have a 22" wide-screen, a 19" standard screen and a 17" standard screen (all LCD and run off seperate computers).
I have them set to the highest resolution possible with their Operating systems.
To be honest, I've never had a problem with viewing things on this site, although back in the day when I had a single 15" CRT monitor, things looked so small! grin

As a rule, most of the things posted in the Electrical Pics Area (electricalpics.com) should by rights re-size themselves to 800 x 600 pixels.

Having said all of the above, I had used the UBB Dark theme here since the upgrade, I had a play around the other day and I found the koniro theme.
It was like a breath of fresh air, I'm going to stick with this one for a while. cool
Mike,

This recent modification is going to be mostly noticed by the 1024 and lower resolution crowd which seems to be about 50%

Off-Topic, you can see more available styles here:

http://www.ubbskins.com/

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/24/11 01:31 AM
OK, Left side column has been removed from Photo Forums for reasons discussed.

At some point I may relocate some of the 'lost' stuff elsewhere on the page where it doesn't affect screen width.

As always, further comments or suggections are appreciated.

Bill
smile
Posted By: Admin Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/24/11 04:11 AM
I added some links to the Top that duplicate some on the side column, so if anyone wants to 'lose' that it can be turned off in your Prefs.

BTW, to those unaware, you can try different color schemes for the Forum through the dropdown box on the lower left of any page, and set it to the one you like in your 'My Stuff >> Preferences' (If left at Default it may change from time to time as we 'mix things up' smile )

Bill
Posted By: PAteenlectrician Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/24/11 04:53 AM
I like the way it fits right now. 1/23/10 21:53
Posted By: sparky Re: What's your Screen Resolution? - 01/24/11 12:19 PM
well i'm at that 'spectacle denial' age, so i guess it doesn't really matter what i have, i'm gonna b*tch about it one way or another.....~S~
© ECN Electrical Forums