smile
Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 01:35 AM
more Nostalgia:

Member Gallery

smile
Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 02:30 AM
It looks like we are still talking about the same things.
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It looks like we are still talking about the same things.
Greg,

Who's your Friend?

[Linked Image]

smile
Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 02:56 AM
A buddy in Jackson WY
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 03:20 AM
Wow Bill,
Yeah that brings back a few memories! yay
I originally found this Forum because of the Electrical Quizzes I found one night via a Google search.
Although we have gone from strength to strength over the years, it's great that we're still around!

Here's a picture (sorry about the terrible quality, it was taken with the old 1.3MP camera I used to have).
The original Chat interface we used to use here, before Bill updated it, damn I made a lot of new friends using that window! :

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 03:39 AM
LOL!

I don't know how many would remember, but we had 'Message and Conferencing' software for some time before we even had the Forum linked in the first post. (sorry no pics of that)

Not too many users back then, but I clearly remember the second post was made by Bennie Palmer.

The reason I remember that was because it was a complaint that no one had yet answered the first question posted there. laugh

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 04:22 AM
Ha Ha Ha Bill,
Yeah, that was before my time here.

I love the avatar you have there though! cool
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Ha Ha Ha Bill,
I love the avatar you have there though! cool
Just doin' my Job... wink

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 04:42 AM

This was what the forum looked like on November 29, 1999

http://web.archive.org/web/20000818045455/www.electrical-contractor.net/ecnet_forum.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20000621115049/www.electrical-contractor.net/electricians_enter.htm
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 04:50 AM
Scott,
Thanks, mate!
That sort of screams Win 98 (or 95).
Back before web page designing became the art that it has now.
Don't get me wrong, it looks great.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 05:17 AM
Ouch!

I guess you'd call that the 'Blue Period'... crazy

That was my B-Day BTW...

smile
Bill
Posted By: dougwells Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 05:46 AM
Gee I looked much younger back then. not too sure if i want to post a current pic of me laugh
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/17/11 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by dougwells
Gee I looked much younger back then. not too sure if i want to post a current pic of me.

To be honest Doug, I thought you looked pretty "dapper" (for want of a better term) in them pics you showed us in the Chat room of James' wedding.
Youth is nothing, we are all getting older, the fact we have made it thus far is something we should celebrate. cool
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/18/11 12:36 AM
Guess I'm still at an age where I'd prefer not to see pictures of myself more than 10 years old for a different reason wink
Think that picture there was taken when I was 14 or something like that.

I did like the old forum layout a lot, but entering UBB code was a bit awkward.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/18/11 11:21 PM
wow I just passed the 6 year mark since I officially registered. I had just started cruising the net for electrical boards when I came upon this one.
I will agree I have made some friends on here as well.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/19/11 07:53 PM
Wow, things have really changed since 2000!

Thanks for posting these Antiques!

-- Scott
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/20/11 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Scott35
Wow, things have really changed since 2000!

Yeah, like less hair or more grey hair/whiskers, badly functioning joints, worse eyesight.
Damn!
Posted By: electure Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/21/11 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by Scott35
Wow, things have really changed since 2000!-- Scott

You haven't aged a bit, Scott... or at least your screen name hasn't. blink
(Didn't that have something to do with your age at the time,35?)

Posted By: Scott35 Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/21/11 11:20 AM

You haven't aged a bit, Scott... or at least your screen name hasn't. blink

LOL!!! grin laugh

(Didn't that have something to do with your age at the time,35?)

Yes, that is correct.
Current Screen Name should be referenced as:
"Scott35 x 1.314285714"
wink

-- SET
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 01/22/11 04:39 PM
Or perhaps a little easier...current date, minus registration date, plus 35 ??
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Or perhaps a little easier...current date, minus registration date, plus 35 ??

MDR!!! { LOL !!}

however that did bring me back memories with early days in here but the time did go pretty fast senice then.

Merci.
Marc
Wow!! I forgot how I looked when I was young. Made feel even older! I am not around as often as I used to be, but I still check in from time to time.
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/07/11 02:35 PM
Am I crazy, or did we have to "Re-sign" up for the forum once a long time ago? In other words, did you start up the website a second time and everyone got a new register date?
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/07/11 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by harold endean
Am I crazy, or did we have to "Re-sign" up for the forum once a long time ago? In other words, did you start up the website a second time and everyone got a new register date?

Harold,

We did have something else before this, but that was back in the late '90s through sometime in 2000 as I remember it.

You may be thinking of the Chat Area, which is separate from the Forum but did share the same login info at one time.

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/09/11 02:51 PM
Bill,

I wasn't sure, I thought I have been here before 2002, but I was on Prodigy before here with guys like Greg and Joe T. so I might be forgetting dates/years in my old age. smile
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/09/11 07:33 PM
but I was on Prodigy before here with guys like Greg and Joe T. so I might be forgetting dates/years in my old age. smile

Yup, that goes back to 1991-1992, almost 20 years ago.

Remember this

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/09/11 07:56 PM
Nice shirts!

I have to look in my closet now!
Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/09/11 09:20 PM
Whoop... Whoop... (Alarm going off)

Folks, we've got some real Radicals in our midst!!

laugh
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 02:48 AM
I wish I still had the conversation that started the Secret Society. It was basically a guy who was bonding to a water pipe with a hose clamp (or some other hack) and wondering why that wasn't kosher. After Joe T and a few others started citing code, he said we must be some kind of secret society talking in an obscure language to discourage homeowners from doing electrical work.
The name stuck.

Joe T actually pitched pretty much his whole IAEI road show to us over about 6 months and 6 of us got our IAEI certifications.

This is our own "Caper", 2d on the left with 3 other SS members "Wiz", Rich and Wally and Joe in the middle.
Roper in Salt Lake City and I couldn't make the meeting wink

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 03:40 AM
Greg:
'Caper' being someone I may know??

Nice group pic.

Heard from Joe T lately?

Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 03:55 AM
I don't know if I've seen that picture before, but some of those people look familiar.

Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 04:30 AM
That bottom T shirt is Caper's company but the phone number may have changed since 1993.
wink

Posted By: Trumpy Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 04:49 AM
Why has that guy in the back there got no certificates, or is he afraid to show them? grin
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 04:45 PM
John,

Caper was the nickname I got from Prodigy. It seems Greg and Joe and I and Ed were talking about wiring up electrical equipment when some homeowner joined in and said that Electrical Contractors believe that they are better than homeowners and that we thought that we belonged to some kind of a "Secret Society". So that was how our "Name" came about. Joe T has the whole original story about how we became a little group on the new fangled thing called "Internet".
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 04:47 PM
Greg,

I still have my old t-shirt from the "Society" (I hate to use the SS abbreviation) I wouldn't want some one to get the wrong idea. Maybe I should post the picture of mine as well. Do you still hear from Wiz or Sheriff?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 06:35 PM
Wiz and I were talking about using a linear transformer as sensor for a tide monitor about a year ago and he even made a prototype. He was doing well.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/10/11 06:35 PM
Mike, the guy in the middle is Joe T. He was the teacher. Maybe someone should have brought him an apple.
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/11/11 03:34 PM
Greg,

I actually got him a "Nail"! Do you remember his nickname? It was THE NAIL. So I was on vacation in Williamsburg Va. and as I was walking around I found an old straight cut nail, from an old historic building. I took the nail, had it mounted on a plaque and the plaque said something like, " To Joe T. THE NAIL. Our teacher and mentor on *P*" or something like that. We presented this to him the day that picture was taken.
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/11/11 03:36 PM
Greg,

The # on my old t-shirt still works but it goes to my sons phone. He checks the voice messages maybe once every other week, if even that much.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/14/11 06:29 PM
IMHO, one of the funniest threads we had was Marc's Never Ending Story, which ran August-December 2006. clap

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/62085/13.html

Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/15/11 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
IMHO, one of the funniest threads we had was Marc's Never Ending Story, which ran August-December 2006. clap

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/62085/13.html

That was Funny.

If you want to start a sequel go for it. (Usual restrictions will apply)

In recent years when I'm down in Orlando we go to a Comedy Club where they do something similar in a Skit. It never fails to get Laughs!

Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/20/11 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by harold endean
Greg,

I actually got him a "Nail"! Do you remember his nickname? It was THE NAIL. So I was on vacation in Williamsburg Va. and as I was walking around I found an old straight cut nail, from an old historic building. I took the nail, had it mounted on a plaque and the plaque said something like, " To Joe T. THE NAIL. Our teacher and mentor on *P*" or something like that. We presented this to him the day that picture was taken.

Attached picture NEC_Meister.jpg
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/20/11 05:22 PM
cheers We should meet again. I will keep this thread alive and tell the story, I just have to find the discussions on the board bact then. I believe that we got the name for the Society from one of the DIY persons and another Dude who was a PITA.

Posted By: Admin Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/20/11 11:38 PM
Long time Joe ... You were one of the first few to sign up here.

Bill
smile

P.S. Actually, you've somehow got a lower member number than I do ... confused
Posted By: harold endean Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 02/23/11 03:00 PM
Joe,

Great to "see" you again! I hope all is well with you. I know that you have been contacting me about joining another group, and I have been trying to. I am busy here and I know how to get around this board. That other site, is new to me, and I sometimes get screwed up. So I lose my way around over there. smile
Joe .,

I am glad to see you back in this fourm.

Now for neverending story I think we may have a shot again but I agree with Bill { webmaster } there will be some restriction on some terms but it sure did bring the laugher on this.

We need it one way or other.

Merci.
Marc
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: A Nostalgic Look Back at ECN Forum - 04/03/11 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
Joe .,

I am glad to see you back in this fourm.

Now for neverending story I think we may have a shot again but I agree with Bill { webmaster }

Merci.
Marc

My pleasure!
© ECN Electrical Forums