ECN Forum
Posted By: leland Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 03:36 AM
Another- (RENO) we must know other codes.

Local ordnance,via 'sewer commission': Septic ejection/grinder MUST have provisions for generator hook up.

#1 I feel this is a way over step !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another design issue causing undo expense to the home owner/seller.Thus influencing my Competitive bid.

#2 My plan: 23A-120/250V 1 Phase-4-wire
\
Install in the control cabinet: A male L14/30 - on the bottom.
then install a WP female wip cord cap.

The end result: cord & plug for disconnect,and a male recept. for the gen set cord.

After that- your problem.
No requirement that home owner HAS generator- just that 'provisions ' are made.

Any problems? My local pros think not.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 03:44 AM
Leland:
One may question the use of 'cord' for permanent wiring method, IF I understand that you are connecting the 'normal' supply via cord.

I have to say that sounds like a plan.
Posted By: leland Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 03:54 AM
Absolutely John.

Permanent wire to a WP box, Then cord and strain relief- perhaps 18"- with a WP female cap- then plugged into a male rec. located in (depending on room-have not seen the controller as of yet-)the bottom- or a suitable WP enclosure.

In and out for a whopping $400.00 +- as opposed to a Grand for a generator interface set up.

Am I far off base?
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 06:01 AM
Well, you could put in a 2 throw disconnect. If they don't install the genny, they never wire the other side. If they do, they already have their MTS.
Joe
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 02:55 PM
Le:
Joe may have a good idea...Sq D for one has a double throw, 2-3-4 pole, NEMA1 & NEMA3 switch, with full ratings.

May be in same $$ area & a little less time to install.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 04:05 PM
The application surprises me just a bit.

First, the pumps seem just a tad large for a home. Maybe there's a significant lift or something.

Otherwise ... is it really a requirement for a generator hook-up? Or just a requirement for back-up power?

I ask because I have seen pre-packaged battery systems for such pumps. Set on the floor near the pumps - plug pumps into the unit - plug the unit into house power - done.
Might be worth a visit to the plumbing house.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 07:24 PM
Question. Why the grinder?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/17/10 09:54 PM
Alan, the 'grinder' is a perforated plate in the intake of the pump. A knife spins across this plate. The device is intended to cut up stringy material -think paper towels and sanitary napkins- before it enters the pump.

Pumps have trouble handling stringy materials, as they tend to wrap themselves around the shaft - eventually binding the pump.
Posted By: leland Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/18/10 06:38 AM
All good questions.

1- I have not seen the specs for the pump- Builder over the phone from the book- 120/230 30A-

Hence the 30A twist lock idea.

Priced out the MTS- $400- indoor model. This will not meet the 'insight' requirement.

Reno- Good point. Back up power. I will check.

Please understand, This info is comming from a neurotic builder with no buyer yet. and power is still another 2 weeks away.

But, all the finish is done, so as to 'stage' the dwelling.

Pain in my Butt this guy has become!!!!!!
Wants it all temped out to look finished,from a neighbors 20A ckt. (on ext cords) AAARRRGGGGG.

Still, Does my original idea sound reasonable?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sewer EM back up. - 12/18/10 05:00 PM
I like your original idea. There's no getting away from some use of cords; the pumps and floats have cords, and a portable gennerator will tie in with a cord. There's no way to switch power supplies that is more idiot-proof than having the guy actually move the plug.
Posted By: leland Re: Sewer EM back up. - 01/04/11 05:27 AM
So, As it turns out...

As so many situations do....
The MFGR offers a controller with what we need.

For a mere $195+ TX with the returned controller.
So my fears of the cheap builder- have been washed away!!

He was ALL ABOUT THIS .. with 12 more lots to do in Town.
And ..The 'Sole supplier' has added to the questionnaire,"in this Town you NEED this." Thats good I think.

So Now: My question is the charge.

No doubt I have saved aggravation & cost,For Myself and the builder.

This will take about 3 hours -Total time (all travel)- to return and receive the equipment - No added labor.
(1 Time- next one will be ordered appropriately)

But 1st time for us all- New to us all-

How would you charge?

1) Original BS Price?
2) Saved you a bundle price\ Slightly SLAM him
3)Saved you a bundle -but 'I'm a nice guy price'?
4)Gimme my time/travel price?

Ive Kinda decided my price- but looking for ideas.

I aint rich nor greedy, but also not stupid.

Should someone pay for 'discovery'?

Thanx Guys.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Sewer EM back up. - 01/04/11 08:29 PM
You should at least be able to recover any additional time $$$. As to 'discovery', a bonus from the guy you saved any substantial $$$ would be appropriate.

Posted By: leland Re: Sewer EM back up. - 01/08/11 05:50 AM
Recoupe my cost and travel.

My original plan.What I thought was right.

More work from this guy,due my investigation, is my bonus.

Price is in and awarded.1 3Ksqft house and hopefully more.

Thanx for the thoughts.
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Sewer EM back up. - 01/15/11 06:01 AM
Leviton and several other manufacturers make a two pole double throw, center off switch that gets you out of using cord in place of cable or raceway which is simply never permissible. One side of the switch to the flanged inlet plug, the other side to the branch circuit, center terminals to the load. Switch is only about thirty bucks. That is similar to what you will spend in time and materials making up a cord jumper.
© ECN Electrical Forums